Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Bruce was undoubtedly the worst thing to happen to his career. 

Joining Sheffield United last season, half way through the season and half fit, wasn't enough for him. Now he has a full season away, will presumably be first choice, he's going to have to resurrect his career somehow. 

Nathan Jones wants to play football, so he has a shot. One thing I'm sure of though, he won't be coming back to Aston Villa unless it's for another pre season.

• Like 1

To be fair. Smith himself said we weren't playing to his strengths in a post match interview.  Think it was the first game Hogan got subbed on after Smith was in charge. Smith said something in the lines of "the players kept playing the ball off the ground, while Hogan needs them on the ground". 

Obvisouly didn't work out for him here. Hopefully he'll get a fresh start at Stoke. I wish him luck. 

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I know I'm only prolongng things but, really, with our first premier lague match a day away, it is odd to see Hogan topping the trending list.

He was never going to feature in our 2019/20 campaign so good luck to him at Stoke and let's start thinking about Wesley Moraes and the rest...

people like a moan :thumb:

• Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 14:59, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I just looked up the interview. Maybe I'm reading too much into the quote but it reads like a dig at us tbh:

" It is a real weight off my shoulders to have left Aston Villa and to have joined a really good Club, a big Club, in Stoke City - it is a really exciting move for me."

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2019/august/Hogan-delighted-to-seal-City-switch/

Getting a real sense of deja vu

"I'm delighted to be at a club like Aston Villa," said Hogan. "With its history and tradition, I can't wait to start working hard and helping the team.

"It all happened quite quickly and now I'm looking forward to meeting my new team-mates tomorrow and beginning a new chapter in my career."

Or is that a sense of having been here before?

"I'm finally here and I can't wait to get started. There's no hiding from the fact it's been a difficult time at Villa, I've been there two years and had relative success, but personally it didn't really happen for me.

Hogan added: "I've watched United in the last couple of seasons and they are probably the most exciting team to watch in the division, I know a few lads here they enjoy it and there was nowhere else I wanted to go."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bruce was undoubtedly the worst thing to happen to his career. 

Joining Sheffield United last season, half way through the season and half fit, wasn't enough for him. Now he has a full season away, will presumably be first choice, he's going to have to resurrect his career somehow. 

Nathan Jones wants to play football, so he has a shot. One thing I'm sure of though, he won't be coming back to Aston Villa unless it's for another pre season.

I actually wanted to disagree with this as I think Bruce comes in for some harsh criticism, but I actually don’t think I can. Bruce didn’t play to his strengths at all and totally destroyed his confidence so by the time Smith gave him a chance he was all over the shop, blew that chance and presumably had his confidence knocked even further.

He needs a full factory reset. Hopefully he can kick start his career. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I actually wanted to disagree with this as I think Bruce comes in for some harsh criticism, but I actually don’t think I can. Bruce didn’t play to his strengths at all and totally destroyed his confidence so by the time Smith gave him a chance he was all over the shop, blew that chance and presumably had his confidence knocked even further.

He needs a full factory reset. Hopefully he can kick start his career. 

Now it’s worse than deja vu, it’s Groundhog Day!

Please make this stop!

Edited by briny_ear

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not making excuses for him. I am just saying Bruceball obviously did not do him any favours. Anyone half capable of analyzing football can see that. Horses for courses and Bruce never understood that. 

You say you're not making excuses for him then you go on and make an excuse for him.  So "Bruceball" didn't suit him. Bruce got sacked and nothing changed so does that mean Smithball and WilderBall didn't suit him either. i'll do some analysing for you Scott Hogan is a rubbish footballer that has had a few months of form in his whole career and that has blinded some people to what the rest of his career has been like.

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

You say you're not making excuses for him then you go on and make an excuse for him.  So "Bruceball" didn't suit him. Bruce got sacked and nothing changed so does that mean Smithball and WilderBall didn't suit him either. i'll do some analysing for you Scott Hogan is a rubbish footballer that has had a few months of form in his whole career and that has blinded some people to what the rest of his career has been like.

Except I haven't. You need to stop making things up. I have never argued he didn't suit Smith's football. I simply said the argument that he didn't suit Bruceball is a valid one. Like I said horses for courses. 

14 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

He'll score goals again in the championship in my view - he needs game time and confidence will come back with this game time.

On 09/08/2019 at 21:41, KenjiOgiwara said:

Except I haven't. You need to stop making things up. I have never argued he didn't suit Smith's football. I simply said the argument that he didn't suit Bruceball is a valid one. Like I said horses for courses. 

No you said it was Bruceball that made Hogan shit but as I said when Smith came in and changed that Hogan was the same and when he went to Sheffield United.

The fact is you and the other odd people that will make endless excuses for Hogan use the Bruceball as the main excuse. But Hogan has played under Bruce, Smith and Wilder managers with different styles and nothing has changed which points to 1 conclusion and that it isn't the style of football being played that's making Hogan bad it's the fact Hogan just isn't very good.

As has been said it's just bizarre when you get fans hammering Hourihane after 1 bad game but will make excuse after excuse for Hogan despite him being awful pretty much from the day we signed him. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Blaming Bruce is lazy.

Good players in bad teams or teams that don't suit them show you flashes of what they can do and why they should be in the team.

Hogan never showed any of that.

Don't get me wrong, Bruce is to blame for spending so much money on a player who isn't very good, for sure. But he's not to blame for Hogan's lack of ability.

The longer his career goes on, the more that 30 game purple patch at Brentford becomes the anomaly, not the norm.

He's a poor man's Roque Santa Cruz

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

You won't find many fans who enjoy criticising Bruce more than me, however there is no way anyone can blame bruce's tactics for Scott Hogan being awful. 

Not many villa players have had myths built up around them than Hogan. World class movement and goals given the right service all became laughable the more he played. 

One 30 game spell of being good in the championship. That's because he isn't very good, nothing to do with Bruce. 

Now if you want to complain about a panic signing and a complete waste of money, then Bruce takes some of the blame. 

Bruceball didn't seem to affect Kodjia or Grabban or even Davis and Abraham for his brief stint with him. While it's true that he wasn't really suited to Bruceball, he also just isn't very good which is abundantly apparent now.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Bruceball didn't seem to affect Kodjia or Grabban or even Davis and Abraham for his brief stint with him. While it's true that he wasn't really suited to Bruceball, he also just isn't very good which is abundantly apparent now.

Youve named 4 solid 6ft tall or so heavy set players, hardly the same as a 5 ft 7 midget.

Like comparing adrian heath to Peter withe.

Hogan hopefully will find his form and we can then sell him for 3 or 4 million come Jan or summer.

He wont be playing for us again I doubt unless we get injuries to 2 of our main forwards and he is recalled.

Edited by brummybloke
clearing in the woods phone changed my text

4 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Youve named 4 solid 6ft tall or so heavy set players, hardly the same as a 5 ft 7 midget.

Like comparing adrian heath to Peter withers.

Hogan hopefully will find his form and we can then sell him for 3 or 4 million come Jan or summer.

He wont be playing for us again I doubt unless we get injuries to 2 of our main forwards and he is recalled.

But none of them only scored goals because we played direct at times. 

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Like comparing adrian heath to Peter withers.

Isn't Hogan 5'11? Also apart from Davis, the other 3 aren't really that good at holding up the ball but they made up for it in other ways...mostly scoring goals.

Bruce having defenders lump the ball up to him didn't help, but there was definitely more he could do. His passing and dribbling were horrible for example. He couldn't keep hold of the ball to save his life.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Isn't Hogan 5'11? Also apart from Davis, the other 3 aren't really that good at holding up the ball but they made up for it in other ways...mostly scoring goals.

Bruce having defenders lump the ball up to him didn't help, but there was definitely more he could do. His passing and dribbling were horrible for example. He couldn't keep hold of the ball to save his life.

I'm not saying he was good, but hes never going to be a ball holder. It would have been like expecting lineker to do it. His style of play doesnt include that in his game. Unless there is constant through balls or low crosses I am not sure he will score more than the odd goal here or there.

All I want now is him to do better so we can actually get a fee for a player for a change 🤣

Â