Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

He is one of my picks that will leave at some point with many of our defenders.

Either Smith will bring him back from the dead or he will be sold. Personally it may be better for us to be rid of all those players who are not putting in performances and who are struggling. We need players like leeds had and while we do have alot that can be consistent, be full of energy, basically be relied on every game there are many under villas banner that do not make a mark in not just every game but not even a few games. We also need players who can come on from a bench, will know how to tear it up and will capitalise on the fact they are the fresher man and will make an explosive impact in there substitution.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2018 at 03:05, Stuartc445 said:

But we are no longer lumping it up the field we are playing the style of football that allegedly should be suited to him, and he's still useless. 

We've played hoof ball it didn't work, we are now playing the free flowing football and it's not working, I'm not sure what other styles that are left. 

Oh and BTW if Smith gets attacking players in January then we have serious problems as the attack doesn't need anything done, January should be all about defence and nothing else. 

‘We are now playing free flowing football that is not workjng’......really? What Villa matches are you watching?? We are playing the best football I have seen from us since the Atkinson era. Once DS has a few of his own players in and can sort out the threadbare, imbalanced defence left from the Bruce shambles, we will comfortably finish in the top 6 and be a match for anyone in the play-offs. 

(Sorry Mods....going OT)

Edited by eholm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, eholm said:

‘We are now playing free flowing football that is not workjng’......really? What Villa matches are you watching?? We are playing the best football I have seen from us since the Atkinson era...

I presume OP means not working for Scott Hogan, since this is the Scott Hogan thread. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 19:42, Risso said:

The Leeds bench entirely consisted of their youth players today.  Clarke came on for them, and instantly made an impact.  Hogan and Bjarnason came on, and were as useless as they usually are.  Why not give O'Hare a chance, he'd have been no worse than that pair of useless turds, and might actually have given the team a lift.

Agreed. Not only because they probably are capable, but if we can't do this in the championship when can we do it? And when we don't do this, what's the bloody point of a youth academy? 

Secondly, it's not like out benched seniors are of sufficient quality either way. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 19:42, Risso said:

The Leeds bench entirely consisted of their youth players today.  Clarke came on for them, and instantly made an impact.  Hogan and Bjarnason came on, and were as useless as they usually are.  Why not give O'Hare a chance, he'd have been no worse than that pair of useless turds, and might actually have given the team a lift.

I'd imagine this will happen later on in the season, O'Hare appears to be getting more bench involvement from Smith and I think it's a matter of time before he gets utilised more. Similarly the same could be said about Davies and RHM, although I guess Smith 'knows' Hogan and what he's 'capable' of so will get more opportunities. 

4 hours ago, eholm said:

‘We are now playing free flowing football that is not workjng’......really? What Villa matches are you watching?? We are playing the best football I have seen from us since the Atkinson era. Once DS has a few of his own players in and can sort out the threadbare, imbalanced defence left from the Bruce shambles, we will comfortably finish in the top 6 and be a match for anyone in the play-offs. 

(Sorry Mods....going OT)

I meant Scott Hogan isn't working, I was replying to people who said Bruce's way didn't suit Hogan he needed Smiths way now he has Smiths way and it's still not working. 

Maybe you should read things properly this is the Scott Hogan thread so naturally I'll talk about Scott Hogan instead of the whole team in general 

On 23/12/2018 at 19:48, VillaChris said:

If only we had a manager who could get the best out of him......oh hang on.

Can only conclude DS has watched him in training and quickly realised his confidence is totally shot compared to at Brentford so hence he's stayed as the bit part player he was under SB.

Unless we completely change our formation and go with two up top through the middle then he has to be a bit part player as we aren't going to drop Abraham.

One of the things Smith was pissed off about on Sunday was that after he brought Hogan on we kept playing the ball into his feet and not in behind for him to run on to. He said the players had played with him long enough now to know what Hogans strengths are. I noticed at the game on Sunday that on a number of occasions he was on the half turn ready to run in behind and the ball went to his feet and he had to readjust to try and get to the ball.

He is what  he is. He isn't a target man, he can't do what Kodjia can do and play from out wide. He is a forward that plays on the last man and wants balls threaded through in behind for him to run on to. 

I have a feeling we may go with two through the middle at some point soon and he'll get a chance from the start.

Edited by markavfc40

4 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

I meant Scott Hogan isn't working, I was replying to people who said Bruce's way didn't suit Hogan he needed Smiths way now he has Smiths way and it's still not working. 

Maybe you should read things properly this is the Scott Hogan thread so naturally I'll talk about Scott Hogan instead of the whole team in general 

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarification; chill mate and enjoy the festive season. 

Hgan to come on with 10 mins left and score the winner 😎

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Unless we completely change our formation and go with two up top through the middle then he has to be a bit part player as we aren't going to drop Abraham.

One of the things Smith was pissed off about on Sunday was that after he brought Hogan on we kept playing the ball into his feet and not in behind for him to run on to. He said the players had played with him long enough now to know what Hogans strengths are. I noticed at the game on Sunday that on a number of occasions he was on the half turn ready to run in behind and the ball went to his feet and he had to readjust to try and get to the ball.

He is what  he is. He isn't a target man, he can't do what Kodjia can do and play from out wide. He is a forward that plays on the last man and wants balls threaded through in behind for him to run on to. 

I have a feeling we may go with two through the middle at some point soon and he'll get a chance from the start.

The problem is Mark, he does liitle to help himself.

small players have to have a first touch and be able to "rat" their way in to control, by using their shoulders and backside in close quarters.....he does not of that, he wants the perfect ball.

David Speedie, remember him, muscled his way in and disrupted his opposite number in to errors, thats what Hogan should be doing..... a net ball player could shoulder him off the ball.

plenty of smaller players impose themselves, like Defoe and our own Dean Saunders.

For Me, Hogan does not show the right approach and accordingly, can't see him doing anything with us.

He needs to take a leaf out of Billy Sharps book.....thats what he should be doing.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

If he goes in January I cant see many buyers for him and if we do will be ahuge financial loss. 

A loan is best we coukd hope for

Send him to the blues......they seem to get a silk purse out of a sows ear.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Exactly what I was saying, even when Bruce was here.

For there to be any chance of Hogan being effective we'd have to change the whole team and system entirely to suit him. And even then there's no guarantee of it working.

It just isn't worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Hopefully he gets a game vs Swansea tomorrow and proves a few doubters wrong.

I'd imagine he is nailed on to start. He has come on a few times as sub ahead of Davis who has also been on the bench.

Smith will play more to his strengths and ask our midfielders to ensure they play balls in behind for him to run onto and not into his feet.

It is potentially a big chance for him tomorrow. If Abraham goes and he impresses tomorrow he may well get further chances and a run in the team.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Hope he grabs a goal tomorrow and puts himself into contention for more minutes.  I know Tammy is a monster and the first name on the teamsheet right now, but if we can find some way to play both of them together to try to grab a late winner, it can help us get more points added to the tally this season.  

• Like 3

Â