Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Baffles me why we didn't loan him out for six months in the summer. Would've made sense to send him somewhere else, hopefully starts scoring and then Dean Smith gets a more confident player back to work with in January. Probably more examples of Bruce mismanagement.

According to that interview Hogan did once Bruce left he was set for a loan move to Sheff Utd, but then Bruce promised him games - which never materialised - so Hogan stuck around. 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2018 at 20:40, bobzy said:

Man, I hope you didn't watch Kodjia completely miss a header from Grealish's free kick in that first half.  If you did, I can only imagine it will stay with you for months!

Anything Hogan can do...

And yet if Hogan had done it you'd make excuses for him, like Steve Bruce's system was to blame for him missing the header.

Edited by Stuartc445

On 26/10/2018 at 10:02, Stuartc445 said:

A poacher so what happened in the playoff final with that header? And what about the header where he gave up mid jump vs Norwich. He couldn't even poach an egg.

As has been mentioned in this thread people will have a pop at Kodjia for being lazy etc.... But will make excuses for Hogan when he's doing the same

To be fair - the Norwich example is a complete red herring - never in a million years could Hogan reach this ball - the co - commentator was wrong in this instance  imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave J said:

To be fair - the Norwich example is a complete red herring - never in a million years could Hogan reach this ball - the co - commentator was wrong in this instance  imo.

Yep, it was a very good ball in, but Hogan just a couple of inches too small, Abraham would have probably made some sort of contact with it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, it was a very good ball in, but Hogan just a couple of inches too small, Abraham would have probably made some sort of contact with it.

I don't think it was an easy chance but Hogan didn't even seem to want to attack it. He literally does nothing well or better than others we have. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think it was an easy chance but Hogan didn't even seem to want to attack it. He literally does nothing well or better than others we have. 

With the very greatest of  respect - you know yourself if your going to have a chance of getting the ball and in my opinion be that a humble one - he didn't.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t rate Hogan but still interested to see if he can play a part this season and look a better under Smith. But if he isn’t playing it means Abraham is doing well so I’ve no problem with that. 

He has to wait for his chance and make sure he takes it. 

I feel his role will be restricted to coming off the bench mainly - however with his confidence higher, I am optimistic that he will score some important goals for us this season.

Reminds me a little of David Geddes - never really a fans favourite but turned it all around with a brace and the thickness of a cross bar away from a hat trick against the noses !!

hrmmm

20 hours ago, Junxs said:

Look, he's been poor and had a rough time of it here

But, I challenge anyone to find an example of a 5ft8 striker who plays in a one up top system in a team that plays defensively - with a game plan of swinging balls into the box from deep areas. I certainly can't think of any. 

Let's at least wait and see what he does when he gets a run in a DS Villa team before completely writing him off.

Quite a few conditions in there though. A player who is 5ft 8 and scores goals on a regular basis will get into most teams - in any case he had a fair whack of games alongside kjodia - you must recall the "Kjodia doesn't pass to him era"  ? it was just before the "Grealish needs to play behind him era"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 22/11/2018 at 21:55, Junxs said:

But, I challenge anyone to find an example of a 5ft8 striker who plays in a one up top system in a team that plays defensively - with a game plan of swinging balls into the box from deep areas. I certainly can't think of any. 

Let's at least wait and see what he does when he gets a run in a DS Villa team before completely writing him off.

I'd be surprised if he ever gets a run in a DS Villa team.

He's 3rd in line at the moment, with two considerably better strikers ahead of him.

If DS does as well as we all hope he will then we could be in the premier league next season. And nobody can convince me that Hogan is good enough for the Premier League.

If you have to set your entire team up to play in a very specific way for your striker to not look shit, then he isn't a very good striker.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's 3rd in line at the moment, with two considerably better strikers ahead of him.

If DS does as well as we all hope he will then we could be in the premier league next season. And nobody can convince me that Hogan is good enough for the Premier League.

If you have to set your entire team up to play in a very specific way for your striker to not look shit, then he isn't a very good striker.

I think when a team is set up to play to his strengths like it was Brentford under Dean Smith. I don’t think Hogan is finished here, far from it in fact

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly my thoughts too. And the same argument I’ve put forward for why McCormack never worked and why I don’t want him back, he only worked in sides where the entire team revolves around them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think when a team is set up to play to his strengths like it was Brentford under Dean Smith. I don’t think Hogan is finished here, far from it in fact

I think finished is a very good description for him.

I even think he could be sold in January.

On 22/11/2018 at 21:55, Junxs said:

When is he getting a run in this team? If he was any good he'd be playing.

• Like 1

Â