Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I think Jack controlled the game, and he’s done so more often with Hogan playing than with anyone else.

In my view this is because Hogans tireless running off the ball pulls defences around that bit more which creates just the little bit more space for all 3, or even 4 including CH when he is pushed on, of our skill players.

I could be talking cobblers, but that’s how I see it and the stats when both Jack and Hogan play are very good.

It wouldn’t be the first time a player is of more value for the Team as a whole than at first appears to be the case.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Grealish is coming to deep, Hogan plays on the last man and works very hard to pressure the defense, he's doing his job. Grealish has to be told to position himself in positions that hurt the opposition, when we're in possession but more importantly when we're not. 

Hogan , as others have pointed out , makes space for other players by dragging defenders all over the pitch . Kodja may benefit from that , he's a definite goal threat. Kodja is different as a forward , hes one dimensional, he just trys to score goals and has no other aspects to his game ......., heaven forbid ;)

Fact is we have the most talented squad in this division by a country mile 

Not arguing at all.....but we have had a partial squad for most of the season.

fight is what gets you out of this league, assuming the talent is there.

We have to show we have that crucial element, to be allied to our undoubted guile.

Determination will/ will not  get us promoted.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

Did you observe the distance between Grealish amd Hogan Tuesday night..

it was far from galvanised or cohesive......Jack was obsessed with the ball and followed it everywhere.....He should be threading balls through to scotty.....His industry is commendable, but he needs to use his nous to turn it in to effective work.

Jack is a very talented lad, but needs to understand the ethics of teamwork.....He cannot do everyones job for them.....He was playing embarrassingly deep at times.

I felt sorry for Scotty at times.

I agree, with all the talent that Grealish has I would expect him to pick out Hogan or make the killer pass more often. I think that's a problem for us that we don't have enough midfielders who plays the through balls, we often play it out wide for Adomah or Snodgrass to dribble or cross. I'm not yet fully convinced if it is the others who can't pick out Hogans runs or if it is Hogans runs that are good enough, probably it's simply more a question of the understanding between the players that comes with playing more together and practicing on the training ground.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

These comments about Grealish dropping too deep are on the money . . . seems to have done so every game since Wolves, or at least that I've seen. 

Mainly thanks to Bruce taking off our wingers each game and going 4 up top with Grealish and A N other in CM. It completely negates his attacking ability and the key to our goals. I.e. his pass to the wide players in positions where they can threaten. 

• Thanks 1

We might as well send this bloke to play for the U23's for the rest of the season and sell him in the summer. There's a player in there somewhere, but we have absolutely no intention of playing to his strengths.

With the long balls forward and the constant (mostly overhit) crosses we might as well stick Davis up front and hope that he picks up some goalscoring form.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sure the invisible man will have excuses made for him again.

It’s all Grealish’s fault, don’t you know?

If he isn’t playing, blame the wide men for putting in too many crosses.

If they don’t play, it’s Hourihane’s fault.

How could anyone ever blame Scott Hogan? We just don’t play to his strengths!

It has nothing to do with the fact he is absolute garbage. 

11 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Yes he is rubbish he should be scoring regularly from all those pin point longballs down the line from Elmohamady ...

Yes, his abysmal play and goal scoring in 14 months is all down to this, nothing to do with him. 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not a massive fan, but the tactics do not suit him, it has been the case for most of the season. No surprises, Bruce is just atrocious.

What tactics suit an average finisher with a shocking first touch and inability to pass to team mates on a regular basis?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What tactics suit an average finisher with a shocking first touch and inability to pass to team mates on a regular basis?

He needs more service, like I say, I'm not a massive fan of him, but he'd score more in a side that gave him better and consistent supply. Under Bruce's negative tactics we don't give our forwards enough chances.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

13 touches in 90 odd minutes of football.  The bloke is a charlatan, robbing a living.

As a one off that would be terrible. But that's about his average. When you combine that with his passing stats and goals I don't see how so many excuses are made for him.

• Like 1

Â