Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

It probably was. With Davis full of confidence scoring for u20 team and RHM scoring for fun at u23 i'd have liked to have seen them maybe get a shot. 

Hogan may get a goal but for me he has shown he isn't good enough. 

I agree. Let's hope he surprises us.

Ran himself ragged today. Made some good runs off the ball especially first half, unfortunately we didn’t look for them.

Glad he got his goal, Conor was screaming for the ball but no way was Scott passing there.

• Like 1

If he was being supplied by the Ron Atkinson team of 92/93, with Froggatt, Staunton, Daley and Houghton firing low crosses into the "corridor of uncertainty" I think we'd be comparing him to Dean Saunders.

Sadly he's largely relying on Elmo and Adomah not slamming every cross into the first man or 15 yards beyond the back post.

• Like 2

Not many of our strikers would have got the one he scored. His pace and pressing took the keeper by suprise. Well played. He works very hard for the team. 

• Like 2

He is an excellent finisher, probably the best at the club, give him chances and he will score goals. I think it's worth remembering it's only his second season at this level, he had a bit of a dip in form but that's to be expected after a big money move. He hasn't got the all round game but his finishing is outstanding in my opinion 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He is an excellent finisher, probably the best at the club, give him chances and he will score goals. I think it's worth remembering it's only his second season at this level, he had a bit of a dip in form but that's to be expected after a big money move. He hasn't got the all round game but his finishing is outstanding in my opinion 

No chance he is a better finisher than kodjia. 

He had 2 great chances in the 1st half and failed to bury them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He did but every striker misses chances, it's how you respond that defines you as a player and he did respond. I love his attitude, he misses chances and he doesn't let it affect him but he doesn't have the all round game. 

I'm not convinced by your first statement, I think his finishing especially from one on ones is outstanding 

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's a good situation when there are different arguments put forward for which one of our five centre forward candidates deserves to start. We've got good options.

I agree with that.....I am really pleased he scored last night.

We do have enviable options.

I still get the feeling a Chris woods or Glen Murray, would have given us another dimension.

I think Keinan will develop in to the player I mention, but not sure has learned enough yet of how to deal with big centre halves and dominate them.

Maybe Hogan's ability to hound defenders and runs makes Grealish play better? It was pretty clear Grealish was getting the ball in better spots with Hogan playing, and Grealish has typically had his better matches for us while Hogan was starting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with that.....I am really pleased he scored last night.

We do have enviable options.

I still get the feeling a Chris woods or Glen Murray, would have given us another dimension.

I think Keinan will develop in to the player I mention, but not sure has learned enough yet of how to deal with big centre halves and dominate them.

Pity we never tried to get mitrovic on deadline day - has proved a very good signing at this level.

We still don’t play to his strength. He constantly waits on the shoulder of the last defender waiting for the ball to be played into the space between defence and goal. More often than not no such pass is played. Instead we predictably square the ball to the wings and simply hoof a high ball into the box. He’s quick enough to outpace most centre halves. Use him right and we’ll get some joy I think.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Pity we never tried to get mitrovic on deadline day - has proved a very good signing at this level.

I Totally agree.

but I have to say Eastie.....I was delighted for Scotty last night.

I can see all the flaws and neggies of people who don't like him.....but he never moans or whinges, when he is on his own.....I feel for the lad  a bit.

There are just some players, you are willing to do well....Scotty is one for me.

Like OBE mentioned about balance, I hope we keep him, even if he is not first choice.

13 minutes ago, meregreen said:

We still don’t play to his strength. He constantly waits on the shoulder of the last defender waiting for the ball to be played into the space between defence and goal. More often than not no such pass is played. Instead we predictably square the ball to the wings and simply hoof a high ball into the box. He’s quick enough to outpace most centre halves. Use him right and we’ll get some joy I think.

I think you are right.....

......a few more threaded balls and we will see the best of him.

I think we have become a bit, not sure of the right word " safe" in following instructions instead of a bit daring and improvised.

maybe the wingers have proved their worth and we are cautious to try something different or mix it up and become less predictable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I Totally agree.

but I have to say Eastie.....I was delighted for Scotty last night.

I can see all the flaws and neggies of people who don't like him.....but he never moans or whinges, when he is on his own.....I feel for the lad  a bit.

There are just some players, you are willing to do well....Scotty is one for me.

Like OBE mentioned about balance, I hope we keep him, even if he is not first choice.

Hogan looks a much better player when Grealish is in the side - he seems far more involved in the game - deserves to keep his place on Saturday .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

And how many did kodj miss?:P

I agree he’s probably not the best finisher at the club, but kodj isn’t perfect 

• Like 1

Â