Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What tactics suit an average finisher with a shocking first touch and inability to pass to team mates on a regular basis?

If balls were slid on the ground past the centre backs for him to chase would be better.  He is a Shane Long type player but without the aerial ability Long has

23 hours ago, wilko154 said:

We might as well send this bloke to play for the U23's for the rest of the season and sell him in the summer. There's a player in there somewhere, but we have absolutely no intention of playing to his strengths.

With the long balls forward and the constant (mostly overhit) crosses we might as well stick Davis up front and hope that he picks up some goalscoring form.

Or Samba. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

If balls were slid on the ground past the centre backs for him to chase would be better.  He is a Shane Long type player but without the aerial ability Long has

If that's all we ever did i think we would be even worse. We would not be able to retain the ball or build attacks. We can't have a striker whose only strength is running after a ball. Andi Weimman is a better player than Hogan and has the same main strength. 

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If that's all we ever did i think we would be even worse. We would not be able to retain the ball or build attacks. We can't have a striker whose only strength is running after a ball. Andi Weimman is a better player than Hogan and has the same main strength. 

Can’t agree that Weimann is better than hogan - not for me .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Can’t agree that Weimann is better than hogan - not for me .

From what i've seen of both players i'd have weimman. A hell of a lot cheaper as well. 

What does Hogan do better? 

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

From what i've seen of both players i'd have weimman. A hell of a lot cheaper as well. 

What does Hogan do better? 

Everything ;)

Not a great fan of hogan but he is better than weimann for me by a distance - not saying hogan is great by any means but weimann for me is not even a championship player .

weimann has 27 career goals in over 200 club games , spanning 8 years . 

Hogans ratio of 43 league goals in 100 games is considerably better .

i can see hogan scoring goals at this level maybe not under steve Bruce but weimann has flopped at this level .

saying that I’m not sure I’d want hogan here next season depending on who is manager though - if dean smith I’d keep him 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Everything ;)

Not a great fan of hogan but he is better than weimann for me by a distance - not saying hogan is great by any means but weimann for me is not even a championship player .

weimann has 27 career goals in over 200 club games , spanning 8 years . 

Weimman is more adaptable. This season has 5 goals, 5 assists and averages a hell of a lot more passes a game. 

Oh and didn't cost close to £15 million. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Haha 1

Weimann was fast and could finish, but he was very limited. If we played on the break with the ball down the middle in front of players then I could understand why we should play Hogan.

But the constant passing sideways and back and taking an age to get a cross in suits no one. Not saying Hogan has been worth the investment, but the only player we have currently who makes sense for this turgid slow style of football is Davies, as he holds the ball up well and draws defenders towards him giving Snods and Adomah a bit of space, but he doesn't really look like scoring many goals. 

• Like 1

I can’t believe people are arguing a case for Weimman. He was one of our worst players during his last year or so, sure he ran around a lot and put a lot of effort in but that really is it. I’m not Hogans greatest fan, but he does all the running Weimman did and he tries constantly to make runs in behind defenders but we play long ball after long ball. I don’t think he’ll be a success here but he’s shown over the last few years he has goal scoring quality. I guess it shows how far we’ve fallen that people are arguing for Weimman because most people were desperate for him to be replaced a few years ago.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I can’t believe people are arguing a case for Weimman. He was one of our worst players during his last year or so, sure he ran around a lot and put a lot of effort in but that really is it. I’m not Hogans greatest fan, but he does all the running Weimman did and he tries constantly to make runs in behind defenders but we play long ball after long ball. I don’t think he’ll be a success here but he’s shown over the last few years he has goal scoring quality. I guess it shows how far we’ve fallen that people are arguing for Weimman because most people were desperate for him to be replaced a few years ago.

Weimman is shit and was rightly moved on. My point is Hogan runs a lot and does nothing else, very similar to weimman. Yet we paid nearly £15 million for the pleasure of scott hogan.

30 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Imust be watching a different team as I see a very alert "break the line" forward who makes the runs, or should i say signals such runs but taylor in particular but everyone other than Jack fails to see it and instead turns round and plays a sideways ball or lumps a deep cross. Poor bloke!

If we had a better coach(Dean Smith) this would be put right.

Still amazes me. We seem to have these players every so often that people are so convinced are good the same excuse gets used over and over again.

Look at his stats since being here. Any stat really. Goals, assists, touches, pass attempts, shot attempts, passing completion, aerial duels. He does nothing well. Yet continues to be defended as though its everyone elses fault. 

Amazing. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Weimman is shit and was rightly moved on. My point is Hogan runs a lot and does nothing else, very similar to weimman. Yet we paid nearly £15 million for the pleasure of scott hogan.

My point is that Weimman just ran around aimlessly, Hogans runs in behind defenders. The amount of times I see him make a run behind a defender, and pointing to where he wants the ball is ridiculous. It’s every game. Every time somebody is in a position to play a through ball to him, they turn and play it to the wingers. If Adomah or Snodgrass don’t get through, we get the ball and try the same thing time after time. We need another tactic, Norwich smothered the pair of them the other day and we had no answer. Hogan is not going to win any of these aimless long balls either, he’s like 5’10.

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

My point is that Weimman just ran around aimlessly, Hogans runs in behind defenders. The amount of times I see him make a run behind a defender, and pointing to where he wants the ball is ridiculous. It’s every game. Every time somebody is in a position to play a through ball to him, they turn and play it to the wingers. If Adomah or Snodgrass don’t get through, we get the ball and try the same thing time after time. We need another tactic, Norwich smothered the pair of them the other day and we had no answer. Hogan is not going to win any of these aimless long balls either, he’s like 5’10.

Can't say running and pointing impresses me much. What does he do when he actually gets the ball? 

He averages 1 shot a game and 4 completed passes. Before blaming everyone else, seriously think how abysmal that is for anyone in this league, let a lone a £15 million signing. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can't say running and pointing impresses me much. What does he do when he actually gets the ball? 

He averages 1 shot a game and 4 completed passes. Before blaming everyone else, seriously think how abysmal that is for anyone in this league, let a lone a £15 million signing. 

I’m blaming everyone but him in that scenario, play the through ball and he’s made the run that puts him behind the defender. He was successful enough before we signed him. The fee means next to nothing in terms of Hogan himself, it shows how poor the transfer team itself has been. Paying any money at all for a striker who plays on the back foot of defenders to then play football where only a 7 foot target man could benefit is what’s really wrong here. He’ll leave us eventually and I’m sure he’ll score enough goals for whoever his next team is.

12 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I’m blaming everyone but him in that scenario, play the through ball and he’s made the run that puts him behind the defender. He was successful enough before we signed him. The fee means next to nothing in terms of Hogan himself, it shows how poor the transfer team itself has been. Paying any money at all for a striker who plays on the back foot of defenders to then play football where only a 7 foot target man could benefit is what’s really wrong here. He’ll leave us eventually and I’m sure he’ll score enough goals for whoever his next team is.

How easy is it to play the perfect through ball between defenders and the keeper? Got to be one of the hardest things otherwise every team would do it all the time. You can't just have a forward who can only run and point behind defenders. And as i say, even if we play that inch perfect ball, what is he going to do? His stats over 36 games suggest **** all. 

And the 7 foot target man comment is rubbish. Kodjia did fine and his aerial skills are his weakest part. Adomah and snodgrass have also scored plenty. Grabban has a decent goals to game ratio. 

Again its all weak excuses to defend hogan. 

They’re not weak, they’re valid. An inch perfect through ball isn’t necessary, just any through ball, we don’t even attempt them. I’m not arguing that Hogan is a great forward, and I’m not even putting him near Kodjia’s level. Im saying that he is limited, but we’re not playing to his strengths. Kodjia didn’t benefit from any of these shit long balls or poor crosses either, he created his own goals because the midfield couldn’t do it for him. My point stands that we bought a forward who needs balls on the floor and we play long balls to him. I’m sure both the club and Hogan are unhappy about the situation.

• Like 1

Â