Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

3 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

Thor was standout in second half. First class long passes, positioned himself at highest. Why should Villa sell that kind of quality?? And buy it somewhere else for huge money?

Con... is that you?

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I wouldn't have him near the first 11 but in all fairness I thought he did a decent job last night.

This.

He's an okay midfielder, prone to a bad match. Bags of experience, puts in a shift. We're not going to get someone much better to come sit on the bench.

• Like 2

Honestly don't mind him on the bench. Seems to be a nice bloke and popular with many of the players & whilst not especially good he is hard working, chases everything & is relatively quick at times. He is versatile/capable enough to cover quite a few different positions for the last 15 minutes or so and can actually create/score the odd goal. If we were going to sell him for a million quid or something i think we would be better off keeping him around for another year

Edited by LakotaDakota

I thought he did very well last night. He kept things ticking over very nicely, played a few very nice passes and thumped in a cracking goal.

There is a caveat, of course. And that is who he was facing and how much time and space they gave him and other players. Can he play like that when he has much less time and space to move the ball to a player who will have less time and space to receive the ball?

Maybe we should just play him against Wolves because they seem scared of him. They all just parted like the Red Sea when he waltzed through them. :lol:

Edited by privateer

I think last night showed that without counting any new arrivals that aren't here yet, as we all knew anyway after Grealish, McGinn and Hourihane there's a real drop off in quality in the midfield ranks.

BB and Lansbury both scored and tbh if either or both of them are in and around the squad this season I won't be too bothered about it. They aren't deadwood like Tshibola. But most of us can see the flip side that if either moved on we wouldn't bat much of an eyelid.

BB has a lot of heart and application but ability levels may get found out in the PL. Conversely with Lansbury the talent is there but all too often the application lets him down - as well as his injury record here.

We'll see I suppose.

• Like 3

It's an MLS team that was fielding a lot of their subs. He did well, but I think there is a reason Dean didn't play him at all in the championship. We have plenty of CM depth, and I think we should sell. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

It's an MLS team that was fielding a lot of their subs. He did well, but I think there is a reason Dean didn't play him at all in the championship. We have plenty of CM depth, and I think we should sell. 

I think he is a good option to bring energy off the bench but lacks the technique for Smithball. One of reasons Jedi never got many starts either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think he is a good option to bring energy off the bench but lacks the technique for Smithball. One of reasons Jedi never got many starts either

I agree.....you have to have a good first touch and move the ball quicky in a DS team....a lot more of course, but the main things.

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

from his interview he seems like he has no issue fighting for his place. I think he is just one of them people that just look moody all the time

like Ayew and Reo Coker?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enda said:

This.

He's an okay midfielder, prone to a bad match. Bags of experience, puts in a shift. We're not going to get someone much better to come sit on the bench.

Here's the key I think. Are BB and Lansbury good enough to be 4th and 5th choices for a team aiming to finish 11th - 15th in the PL? Yes, I think so. I would rather Dean and the team put effort and money into strengthening those key positions remaining this summer, then we can improve the general quality level of the squad in future windows. Finding a new first choice DM and winger is the priority, not swapping our backups.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Thor's got a goal in him every now and then.

Yes absolutely. I don't have a problem with him as a bench utility player. There's all this FB chatter about people loving him and he deserves a crack at the DM role. Madness

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Am I the only one who thought he was garbage last night, apart from the goal?

No. See my earlier posts. I've said this many times before. He scores a late goal and people ignore/forget his average passing

I have always said it about Birkir that he is good enough as a backup DM/CM at this level. He wins it over Lansbury & Thsibola for me.

When we are needing to rest Luiz or Marvelous on that wet Wednesday night away to Sheff Utd or somewhere, he would be more than capable to do a job.

40 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I have always said it about Birkir that he is good enough as a backup DM/CM at this level. He wins it over Lansbury & Thsibola for me.

When we are needing to rest Luiz or Marvelous on that wet Wednesday night away to Sheff Utd or somewhere, he would be more than capable to do a job.

Lansbury is even less of DM than Thor or Hourihane. He was attacking mid at Forest 

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Lansbury is even less of DM than Thor or Hourihane. He was attacking mid at Forest 

Hence why Thor gets the nod.

There could be room somewhere to keep Lansbury too, to play a backup role in the CM/AMC position.

10 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Not really. Jack, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury and Tshibola. Those are the only ones we have apart from him. So at the moment he's the first or second sub from the midfield. That all when we aren't saying that Jack and Lansbury are AM, the others apart from Tshibola aren't really a DM. We all know wether we'll start Thor or Tshibola.

That's just to speak about the current CM depth. We had it last season with Whelan and Jedinak actually but not anymore. Anyway, I'd prefer us to get Luiz and let's say Soler rather than getting a backup for Luiz and someone less quality than Soler. I'd be happy to keep Thor as a backup to Luiz (with Hourihane being instead of Thor for the easier games).

Â