Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Scott Hogan of the midfield. Runs around a lot but doesn’t actually do anything. 

We came back into the game a lot more when he and hourihane swapped back in the second half. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Scott Hogan of the midfield. Runs around a lot but doesn’t actually do anything. 

We came back into the game a lot more when he and hourihane swapped back in the second half. 

When he was just expected to do the mopping up and none of that pesky pass the ball to a teammate or make things happen stuff.

edit : and qpr had settled long before then so there was no mopping up to be done.

Edited by rodders0223

2 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

If I was DS, I would, long term, only keep Jack and Mcginn from a current stock of midfielders. O'Hare might come good, and Lansbury might turn out to be ok. Hourihane and Bikir are average at best, Whelan and Jed are finished.

completely agree with this, Grealish & McGinn are the only two midfielders i can see being able to play a DS system.

Hourihane - too weak, goes missing, doesnt have the ability to play the all action style, BB - same as Chocolate Tea Pot-hane , Whelan - just cant play the style, Jedinak - same as Whelan.

Lansbury....maybe?, who knows, needs to complete a full game or two sometime in the next decade (or his contract expires), before i pass final judgement! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'm really not a fan, so little quality on the ball. I don't even think he runs around a lot, I thought this was supposed to be his great strength that he had an insane work rate but I've never really seen it. 

Highlighted all the more by the fact he was alongside McGinn yesterday. Even though Super John is dying on his arse from playing so many games he made Bjarnasson look like he had lead in his boots. 

One of those players who always seems a yard off the pace of the game and absolutely amazed when anyone passes him the ball. The couple of moments late in second half when he was one on one wide were laughable really. Hasn't he spent a large section of his career playing as a wide man?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Just the 88% pass completion. 

I think stats can be misleading or tell you a story that lacks relevance.

you could have a high percentage of possession....and its all where you can't hurt the opposition.

its all getting too technical and analytical.....the only stats that matter is goals for and goals against and if you exceed that the right way around.....you are in the pink.

There are Oodles of ways to achieve it.....and that's where the opinions kick in.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

We really need some presence in midfield. Hourihane, Whelan and Thor offer none of that. None of them make tackles or stamp their autority on a game. 

Halle ( Bloody) lujah!!!

shadow boxers

Edited by TRO

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think stats can be misleading or tell you a story that lacks relevance.

you could have a high percentage of possession....and its all where you can't hurt the opposition.

its all getting too technical and analytical.....the only stats that matter is goals for and goals against and if you exceed that the right way around.....you are in the pink.

There are Oodles of ways to achieve it.....and that's where the opinions kick in.

I'm not disputing that but when people make claims about players giving the ball away, they can show that it's not the case.

In terms of the player, I thought Bjarnasson was useful last match though, and the energy he brought to midfield made us perform better than the previous two games. He's far from a great player but he's useful to have in the squad. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm not disputing that but when people make claims about players giving the ball away, they can show that it's not the case.

In terms of the player, I thought Bjarnasson was useful last match though, and the energy he brought to midfield made us perform better than the previous two games. He's far from a great player but he's useful to have in the squad. 

put together with Hourihane and McGinn (not at his best), it becomes Light.....I have said enough on this subject to avoid labouring the point....We need some diversity of midfield player to put the necessary attributes in there.....too samey.

Â