Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He is a marginal improvement on Holman and thats no compliment.

Holman is an excellent comparison, and one I've made myself in the past.

I'd even argue that there's a chance Holman would be better than BB at this level, but I guess we'll never know.

I want him to succeed here but just don't think he's ever going to be up to it & missing chances like that are just going to make the haters hate even more (understandably)!

I actually would have started him over Whelan today, not because he is any better, just for a bit more energy which I think we needed in the middle of the park, but the miss was terrible, really really poor at any level.

• Like 1

You cannot expect miracles out of a player who has not had the best of runs with us.

Also not long came back from injury too let's not forget.

I feel if he is given a solid run in the first team of about 10 games and we will see the player that exists within.

The miss today was very unfortunate and horrid as any. He will know this and will want the next game to come quickly.

As they say, that's football.

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He is simply a £1M player playing like a £1M player.

I must be worth about £800k then. 

The dream is still alive..

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You cannot expect miracles out of a player who has not had the best of runs with us.

Miracles no, scoring a open goal from a yard out? Yes i expect that. 

Rubbish player. 

49 minutes ago, av1 said:

Miracles no, scoring a open goal from a yard out? Yes i expect that. 

Rubbish player. 

So he is the only person to ever do this?? No.

Yes, even I would have scored it but hey ho. Let's not throw him under the bus too much!

We need to focus on QPR now.

And fwiw Birkir needs a run in this team and not bit part plays or 20 minutes here and there, that is enough to sod anyones career and turn them shit.

17 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Terrible miss!

Been reading the last page on this thread and was just about to ask someone to post a link to the miss when I hit the back button.

Even Nyland would have scored that. Horrible.

Thor is being thrown under the bus a bit here!

It was a bad miss but he is trying to get back his game fitness and rustiness has to be expected.

The truth is we should have been clear by the time that chance came. It's more the fault of the other layers who were on the pitch 75 minutes prior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Thor is being thrown under the bus a bit here!

It was a bad miss but he is trying to get back his game fitness and rustiness has to be expected.

The truth is we should have been clear by the time that chance came. It's more the fault of the other layers who were on the pitch 75 minutes prior.

Absolutely bang on Nigel. Well said.

Thing is if he was a good player and missed that he wouldn’t get thrown under the bus. McGinn missed a sitter and everyone is fine with it because he’s a good player for us. 

Bjarnason is crap. People are reacting badly because he’s a crap player who has done something really shit. 

He’s been excused by this “he hasn’t had a run in the team” narrative for his entire villa career. 

The truth is if he was any good then he would get a run in the team. In reality he’s 5th in line of the central midfielders and unlikely to get any higher, so he’s never going to get this elusive run in the team.

He just isn’t very good. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

His miss was poor but I’d still start him before Whelan any day. When he came on he  caused them problems by both getting forward and picking up clearances to keep the pressure on.  He got around the pitch and managed more than 5 yard passes. 

I’m amazed that Smith has keep faith in Whelan. It’s like playing with 10 and a half men. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His miss was poor but I’d still start him before Whelan any day. When he came on he  caused them problems by both getting forward and picking up clearances to keep the pressure on.  He got around the pitch and managed more than 5 yard passes. 

I’m amazed that Smith has keep faith in Whelan. It’s like playing with 10 and a half men. 

He came on in Hourihanes position and hourihane moved back so of course he got forward. 

Whelans job isn’t to get forward, it’s to be a defensive midfielder. And he’s pretty good at it. Bjarnason is not. 

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He came on in Hourihanes position and hourihane moved back so of course he got forward. 

Whelans job isn’t to get forward, it’s to be a defensive midfielder. And he’s pretty good at it. Bjarnason is not. 

He’s absolutely terrible at it. Hourihane also isn’t great in that 8 position. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thing is if he was a good player and missed that he wouldn’t get thrown under the bus. McGinn missed a sitter and everyone is fine with it because he’s a good player for us. 

Bjarnason is crap. People are reacting badly because he’s a crap player who has done something really shit. 

He’s been excused by this “he hasn’t had a run in the team” narrative for his entire villa career. 

The truth is if he was any good then he would get a run in the team. In reality he’s 5th in line of the central midfielders and unlikely to get any higher, so he’s never going to get this elusive run in the team.

He just isn’t very good. 

Totally disagree and I feel you may be missing the point slightly.

He is decent, trouble is he has had a poor manager to start with who insisted that Glen Whelan was a better option! :blink:

As I said. Give this player the same run that Glen Whelan has been given and I am confident people will soon be saying 'Why has he not started sooner'.

Just my take, but equally does not deserve half the critism he has came in for either.

I understand that he is this weeks scapegoat, Makes a change from being Alan Hutton I guess.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And even then he was picking up balls to keep the pressure on more effectively than Whelan was. So basically he came on as a central midfielder to get forward and managed to do that and a defensive role better than Whelan did.

Whelan is only starting games right now because other players are either injured or not 100% fit. I guarantee he doesn’t start against qpr.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nor will he ever be while being left out for 10/20 minute cameos imo.

He deserves a fair run in the team - let's judge him then.

Â