Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Totally disagree and I feel you may be missing the point slightly.

He is decent, trouble is he has had a poor manager to start with who insisted that Glen Whelan was a better option! :blink:

As I said. Give this player the same run that Glen Whelan has been given and I am confident people will soon be saying 'Why has he not started sooner'.

Just my take, but equally does not deserve half the critism he has came in for either.

I understand that he is this weeks scapegoat, Makes a change from being Alan Hutton I guess.

You misunderstand the word scapegoat clearly. Someone who misses an open goal from 1 yard which would have won us the game isn’t a scapegoat. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He came on in Hourihanes position and hourihane moved back so of course he got forward. 

Whelans job isn’t to get forward, it’s to be a defensive midfielder. And he’s pretty good at it. Bjarnason is not. 

He was pretty good at it once. Right now he is pointless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And even then he was picking up balls to keep the pressure on more effectively than Whelan was. So basically he came on as a central midfielder to get forward and managed to do that and a defensive role better than Whelan did.

Whelan is only starting games right now because other players are either injured or not 100% fit. I guarantee he doesn’t start against qpr.

Whelan was arguably our best player yesterday. 

If he doesn’t start vs QPR it will be to rest him. It won’t be to do with his performances. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You misunderstand the word scapegoat clearly. Someone who misses an open goal from 1 yard which would have won us the game isn’t a scapegoat. 

He missed one goal.. 

Scapegoat understood clearly as you only need to resd the last few pages in here to see that.

As I said. He ain't the first and he won't be the last.

I think Birkir has provided people that never rated him anyway a very good platform for excuses to attack him.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whelan was arguably our best player yesterday. 

If he doesn’t start vs QPR it will be to rest him. It won’t be to do with his performances. 

I must have watched a different game. I thought he just shyed away from any responsibility. He just made himself available for 5 yard passes all game to give it back. Maybe that’s why it seemed he was very involved.  I doubt he needs a rest considering he hardly runs. 

We looked a lot more dangerous when Birker came on. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t actually think he is that good but would rather have him in the team over Whelan any day.  Offers so much more by the fact and he can actually run.  Crucial attribute to have for a footballer. 

From the snippets I have seen of him he offers something different for sure.

Trouble is, if you barely get a look in then how can you be any good or look any good?

I don't think he is a world class midfielder or anything but I feel he could offer us something if given that fair run of games.

He should not be written off based on bit part appearances or a missed open goal.

The last manager here has not helped his career either, put it that way.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I must have watched a different game. I thought he just shyed away from any responsibility. He just made himself available for 5 yard passes all game to give it back. Maybe that’s why it seemed he was very involved.  I doubt he needs a rest considering he hardly runs. 

We looked a lot more dangerous when Birker came on. 

Whelan has been shit long before he arrived at Villa.

Given the thinking that him dropping down a league would have got easier for him but he has not really shown me anything down here either to warrant him getting the starts that he has. Poor player that has a cult following. 

Birkir deserves an equal slice of the cherry that Whelan has been given.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

From the snippets I have seen of him he offers something different for sure.

Trouble is, if you barely get a look in then how can you be any good or look any good?

I don't think he is a world class midfielder or anything but I feel he could offer us something if given that fair run of games.

He should not be written off based on bit part appearances or a missed open goal.

The last manager here has not helped his career either, put it that way.

Wasn’t he Smiths first choice when he took over? He had a bad injury and had to have surgery. He is getting back to full fitness. There’s no way any manager would go with Whelan ahead of Birker if both were 100% fit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Any other day and that goes in. Simple.as that.

Your probably right. Must have been horrid for Thor to have to face the players and manager after that. A real confidence buster when you’re trying to come back from injury.

However mate it was a horrid miss but the player will know that and blame himself for the loss of 2 points.

Would love to see him score in the next game.

• Like 2

Â