Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Lansbury and Hourihane can't play together. We should have signed one or the other and then focused on bringing in a proper no.10. 

Our Gerrard and Lampard.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Shafted by Bruce. Come on they have been here for 3 months. Not wanting to take it off topic but James Bree is a 19 year old who has moved away from home and just happened to find himself competing for a place in the team against one of our more consistent performers. His time will undoubtedly come.

As for Hourihane he is a creative player that will also chip in with a few goals. His whole game though is reliant on linking up with others. To create he has to get to know the runs of Hogan, Kodjia, Adomah etc. To get himself into areas where he can score he has to build up an understanding and relationship with others in the middle of the park so he knows when he can break forward without leaving us exposed. It won’t happen overnight though and it will take time.

Hourihane has shown he can excel at this level and I am sure once he has settled in and gotten to know the games of the players he is now playing with, and they have gotten to know his game, and that he has also gotten used to playing in front of 30 odd thousand every other week rather than 10k, that he will come good here.

I did go on to explain more but you seem to have zoned in on one bit. They're been here 3 months. Bree when played as a RB hasn't put a foot wrong.  we've had nothing to play for for weeks yet Bruce persisted with Hutton who after 6 years seems to have found his level. Mid table in the Championship and even then he doesn't offer anything attacking wise! But this is about Hourihane and I explained that he's never been given a run in one position. You name all the things he's had to adjust to so why not play him in the role you bought him for to help him settle? When he came he hit the box and looked a threat yet that's eroded game on game. So I think Bruce to date has shafted him. He's not given him the platform to perform to his full ability. Bruce has 20 years of experience yet changes personal, shape, tactics etc virtually every game. I've even forgot poor Scott Hogan another January signing who Bruce hasn't had a clue how to play. His injury in January probably saved Bruces job!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Lansbury and Hourihane can't play together. We should have signed one or the other and then focused on bringing in a proper no.10. 

Based on what? They've not had enough time and they've never played as a 2 in centre mid if I'm correct.  We've got them both for pennies in an area we were short. Both are good attacking players if only we had an attacking ethos. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I cant disagree more both compliment each other well when jedinak is in the fold. I just dont think bruce is using Hourihane properly yet. I think next season with big Kodjs injury he should play hourihane behind hogan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant disagree more both compliment each other well when jedinak is in the fold. I just dont think bruce is using Hourihane properly yet. 

...or he hasn't settled yet. Not everything has the be Bruce's fault automatically!

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

...or he hasn't settled yet. Not everything has the be Bruce's fault automatically!

No one is suggesting it's always Bruce's fault. If you actually read a lot of my posts I'm a Bruce supporter

but I certainly do feel in this instance Bruce hadn't played hourihane to his strengths thus far

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

@sir_gary_cahill You get a lot of banter for your appraisals of our youth, but as someone who watches a lot of them and rates the quality of the players, I'm interested to know your opinion on why they don't seem to push on past making the first team squad to compete for a place? mental? lack of competitive game time? 

I think a lot of it is connected to having mental issues or not having it up top so to speak. I know in the past, I have bigged young players up on here too much which hasn't helped. I think that the mental aspect is so huge these days but unfortunately it is where a lot of players fall short 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think a lot of it is connected to having mental issues or not having it up top so to speak. I know in the past, I have bigged young players up on here too much which hasn't helped. I think that the mental aspect is so huge these days but unfortunately it is where a lot of players fall short 

What holds them back? Is it a lack of belief in themselves? Is it not being able to handle being at a big club? If there is an issue there, it's something the club need to look at. Physchologists or something along those lines, I'm sure they would have them for the youth team but are they working? I think we need to work out why they seem to get so close and yet so far! 

On 2017-5-2 at 15:49, Delphinho123 said:

Even if that is/was true. What happens when 1 gets injured?

By your logic they are like for like replacements so that makes no sense

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

What holds them back? Is it a lack of belief in themselves? Is it not being able to handle being at a big club? If there is an issue there, it's something the club need to look at. Physchologists or something along those lines, I'm sure they would have them for the youth team but are they working? I think we need to work out why they seem to get so close and yet so far! 

I think you will see a clearer picture when the new players start to arrive....I would not be surprised to see them much better next season.

This never was a one window fix and two is a big/ dubious ask.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Having played football for far too long myself, my take on today's youth/youngsters is a lack of focus mainly. There's just too many distractions nowadays, and things that ultimately come in the way of 'making it', when you're not devoting everything to football. I don't think it's necessarily a straight up lack of belief in general that's the cause. Promising youngsters do of course need to have 'mild successes' along the way, otherwise the belief will naturally disappear. The effect of a good hands on coach is also vital, something I believe we severely lack. Some of these superb young talents make it look so easy, e.g. Dele Alli. Whereas others, like Grealish just don't seem to have the same willpower or mental strength, even though the natural talent is there.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Having played football for far too long myself, my take on today's youth/youngsters is a lack of focus mainly. There's just too many distractions nowadays, and things that ultimately come in the way of 'making it', when you're not devoting everything to football. I don't think it's necessarily a straight up lack of belief in general that's the cause. Promising youngsters do of course need to have 'mild successes' along the way, otherwise the belief will naturally disappear. The effect of a good hands on coach is also vital, something I believe we severely lack. Some of these superb young talents make it look so easy, e.g. Dele Alli. Whereas others, like Grealish just don't seem to have the same willpower or mental strength, even though the natural talent is there.

I generally agree

Its Character.

I was close pals with Andy Gray & Carlton Palmer.....I watched them grow from boys to men.

Its in their DNA 

I used to hang round with Andy and believe me he had distraction by the cement mixer load......He did sports forums at 19/20 and acquitted himself as a pro with his articulate delivery, even at that age.

Never seen a guy so focused and intent on winning.....He used to throw a wobbler, losing at snooker.

I could tell you stories of absolute truth that highlighted his deep rooted dedication to winning....I was there first hand.

Natural Talent is important, but too many other attributes are overlooked by some......We have players with some talent in our academy, its the other I worry about.

Ps its another factor, why SB needs time to instill this back in to the club and that ain't a 5 minute job.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2017 at 15:11, TRO said:

I generally agree

Its Character.

I was close pals with Andy Gray & Carlton Palmer.....I watched them grow from boys to men.

Its in their DNA 

I used to hang round with Andy and believe me he had distraction by the cement mixer load......He did sports forums at 19/20 and acquitted himself as a pro with his articulate delivery, even at that age.

Never seen a guy so focused and intent on winning.....He used to throw a wobbler, losing at snooker.

I could tell you stories of absolute truth that highlighted his deep rooted dedication to winning....I was there first hand.

Natural Talent is important, but too many other attributes are overlooked by some......We have players with some talent in our academy, its the other I worry about.

Ps its another factor, why SB needs time to instill this back in to the club and that ain't a 5 minute job.

Did you have a curly perm too :) 

i do think the money in the game has changed the mentality in some players compared to the old days - players now can pick up £30k for  sitting in the bench week in week out , and some seem to lack the desire and will to win .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Veretout, Hourihane and Veretout are all very similar.
I have no idea how you fit all 3 in to a team, especially when it seems we can't win a game without Jedinak playing in front of the defence.

We lack so much pace in our squad. 

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Veretout, Hourihane and Veretout are all very similar.
I have no idea how you fit all 3 in to a team, especially when it seems we can't win a game without Jedinak playing in front of the defence.

We lack so much pace in our squad. 

I'm not surprised

• Like 2

Â