Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Cowans did not have Hoddle like skills. Hoddle would have liked to emulate Sid but fell short in every area. 

nice try, but yes Hoddle would have loved sid's ability to win a ball......But Despite my absolute admiration for Sid......to dis Hoddle in the process.

I'll pass on that if you don't mind.

I am all for having passion for your club and its players.....but to dismiss obvious talent, no not for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Good point made and i guess different eras different game. I just think that you knew the likes of Mortimer,  Bremner, McNaught et al would mix it every week and you expected them to, whereas.....i dunno....it feels as if younger football fans go in to a frenzy of hero worship if a player occasionally shows sublime skills (or tekkers as I'm told) and as for the use of the word "legend"......dont get me started :angry:

I reiterate Eden Hazard....current era, highly paid.....just has what it takes.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

nice try, but yes Hoddle would have loved sid's ability to win a ball......But Despite my absolute admiration for Sid......to dis Hoddle in the process.

I'll pass on that if you don't mind.

I am all for having passion for your club and its players.....but to dismiss obvious talent, no not for me.

No I mean it absolutely. I always felt Hoddle was overrated. A typical case of playing for a London club v much superior player playing for an unfashionable club in the Midlands, even one who had the cheek to win big . If Sid had gone to London or Liverpool instead of Italy he would have unquestionably had a big England career and have eclipsed Hoddle. 

Instead he broke his leg and then went to Italy before it was really fashionable. 

Meanwhile Hoddle for me played a number of substandard games in an England shirt but did well for Spuds in the London media limelight and is remembered as a much greater player than he ever really was.  Sid the opposite despite being a far superior player.

• Like 3

Hoddle was just a 'flashier' player than Cowans. Clearly Hoddle had a lot of ability and had a really good run for Spurs for a couple of years, scored some beautiful goals and memorable volleys, Cowans was a more complete player however and would have played a lot more games for England (than his 10 caps) had he played for a more 'fashionable' club than Villa.

• Like 3

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hoddle was just a 'flashier' player than Cowans. Clearly Hoddle had a lot of ability and had a really good run for Spurs for a couple of years, scored some beautiful goals and memorable volleys, Cowans was a more complete player however and would have played a lot more games for England (than his 10 caps) had he played for a more 'fashionable' club than Villa.

I accept more complete.....totally agree.

I think if there was a national Vote, sadly Hoddle might get it.

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I can hand on heart say Sid is the best player I've ever seen 'live', in his pomp he was without doubt the best midfielder in Europe, arguably the world. Such an underrated player who, like has been stated, had he gone to London Utd or Liverpool would have had 150 caps for England.

On topic, Conor has to start ahead of everyone for me, it's between Veretout (my choice if he stays) and Lansbury to fight for the other spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's baffling how little credit Adomah gets.

If Grealish or Green had had the season Adomah had last year we'd be raving about them.

I remember watching Kodjia's goal highlights, and like 80% of them had to be assisted by Adomah. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's baffling how little credit Adomah gets.

If Grealish or Green had had the season Adomah had last year we'd be raving about them.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Adomah did a good job last season, yes he can blow hot and cold, but he produced more for us than most. 

Yes, this for me. 

He played well in the majority of games, was decisive in a number, and got a large number of assists. 

He was also not perfect, by any means, and wasn't 100% consistent or all that close to it, but seriously what winger is. And what winger is in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, this for me. 

He played well in the majority of games, was decisive in a number, and got a large number of assists. 

He was also not perfect, by any means, and wasn't 100% consistent or all that close to it, but seriously what winger is. And what winger is in the Championship. 

Exactly. If he was much more consistent he'd be a premier league player. 

He's not perfect, he has limitations. But he causes defences problems and he has a decent final ball. 

Ultimately he provides for our best goalscorer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

I can hand on heart say Sid is the best player I've ever seen 'live', in his pomp he was without doubt the best midfielder in Europe, arguably the world. Such an underrated player who, like has been stated, had he gone to London Utd or Liverpool would have had 150 caps for England.

On topic, Conor has to start ahead of everyone for me, it's between Veretout (my choice if he stays) and Lansbury to fight for the other spot.

Sid is up there with the best....but Cropley was a technician too, with a incisive tackle just like sid and could put a ball on a sixpence.

then there was platty 24 goals in 46 games in 1990/91.....just for the net bulgers.....fantastic return.

those halcyon days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Sid is up there with the best....but Cropley was a technician too, with a incisive tackle just like sid and could put a ball on a sixpence.

then there was platty 24 goals in 46 games in 1990/91.....just for the net bulgers.....fantastic return.

those halcyon days

I still have Platty's Autograph. 

His set pieces are quality. I can see Chester and Terry getting their fair share of goals from his delivery. 

We may even see a goal from a direct free kick! That's right, you're allowed to score from those you know, and not just smash the ball behind the goal!!

If I were a keeper and Hourihane and McCormack were lining up a free kick I'd be quaking in my boots. 

Hourihane ran the show and seemed settled and talkative against Kiddy. Long may that continue. 

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that we will see a more settled player this season and that the likes of Terry pushing forward will have an impact on him and Lansbury.

However, I am still looking for a bit more containment too, from our midfield this season.

Its all good attacking and defending, but we need nullify them too and take the sting out of their game.

ps written BEFORE the Shrewsbury Game.:)

Edited by TRO

Thought he put a good shift in today. 

Worked hard, always available and tried to get things moving.

shame his set pieces weren't up to scratch though.

want to see him paired with Lansbury next game, who also did ok when coming on. 

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Thought he put a good shift in today. 

Worked hard, always available and tried to get things moving.

shame his set pieces weren't up to scratch though.

want to see him paired with Lansbury next game, who also did ok when coming on. 

Yes. See how he is with Lansbury. He was really handicapped stuck with 'Thor' ( who seems more like Dr Don Blake).

Â