Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Seems to be a lot of Hourihane hate in here today. For a player that’s played a key part in getting us back up and stayed up, that bemuses me a little. Sure he’s got his limitations and we should aspire to replace him with better quality, but he should still be an important squad member for us. His output in goal contributions shouldn’t be ignored. 

Agree, unlike Lansbury who we will find difficult to move on, other clubs would snap our hands off for Conor, solid prem quality player, needs to be squad player long term but think he is fine in the first team.

Also he is a master of the tactical foul....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Horrific DM watch the Forest 5-5 game again and see us cut to shreds in the middle early because of him

Just bland criticism with nothing to back it up.

Better stats than McGinn in Championship

Better stats than McGinn in Premier league

But McGinn is God and Hourihane is a lower level championship player.

The only horrific thing is your reluctance to look at the facts.

• Like 1

He should play every game for us at the moment; just not as a starter.

He hates being on the bench and comes on angry trying to prove a point; often providing a goal or an assist as a result.

Case in point the Home Playoff Semi Final last year. 

Still baffles me how Deano doesn’t use him in this role more often. Lack of available options I guess....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

They are both poor but I watch football with my eyes and Conor is the ultimate stat padder.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Do you think he's better than McGinn though?

I'm sure you don't.

21 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

There are stats and then there's what the eyes see.

I think Hourihane has been a good signing, but I also see he is limited. Getting some assists from free kicks doesn't mean he's magically athletic enough to stop being a bit of a weak spot in midfield.

McGinn has the athleticism despite everyone somehow saying he doesn't, which is really weird to me.

It's not about being god—it's seeing with eyes. Hourihane wasn't even starting for us all the time in the Championship, and there're reasons for that.

If you don't like Conor then I don't like you.

Yeah, he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter, but he's been with us on our whole upward swing, and he's been a big part of it. Top lad, and if and when we replace him and he stops playing as much, he'll find another home at this level as he's involved with too many goals not to be. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Team stats do yes. Not expected assists when you take every set piece.

Good month Conor. 8 expected assists from wide free kicks pinged off Hause's 50p head and into the corner flag

Yes but the individual has to create the stat for the team 

And it's not Conor fault hause can't head a ball straight he can only put it on his head

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

What better stats, goals and assists? If only a midfielder's job description ends there eh? I'll have whatever you are smoking if you really think Hourihane was better than McGinn in our promotion season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, useless said:

Where the hell does this guy get his stats from? I swear he becomes more of a hack every time I see his name.

It seemed completely unbelievable at first glance so I checked and it's not even close to being true as far as any source I can find says.

Understat have Hourihane ranked 27th in the league for xA last season, which is impressive anyway considering where we finished but nowhere near 3rd.

For reference Grealish is ranked 7th behind KDB, TAA, Mahrez, Salah, Willian, Robertson and David Silva. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Where the hell does this guy get his stats from? I swear he becomes more of a hack every time I see his name.

It seemed completely unbelievable at first glance so I checked and it's not even close to being true as far as any source I can find says.

Understat have Hourihane ranked 27th in the league for xA last season, which is impressive anyway considering where we finished but nowhere near 3rd.

For reference Grealish is ranked 7th behind KDB, TAA, Mahrez, Salah, Willian, Robertson and David Silva. 

He also didn't cost 1.5m :lol: 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I imagine the Athletic pay for their own private analytics data, and different companies/providers can use entirely different metrics and methodology. No idea though about his source, just speculating. Think this is per/90, couldn't possibly be above Trent on quantity.

EDIT: On Understat he is indeed 4th per 90. So makes more sense.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

7 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I imagine the Athletic pay for their own private analytics data. No idea though. Think this is per/90, couldn't possibly be above Trent on quantity.

That's a different stat but the per 90 qualifier would make it far more believable, if you added a minimum number of minutes played qualifier as well.

Edit - Just checked and he actually has the 4th highest xA/90 for any player who played 1500 minutes or more. Very impressive.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
Extra info

19 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I'd imagine it's per 90 mins as he wasn't a regular starter

Looks like it's at least 1000 minutes, between David Silva and Trent. Again, you can't argue with the stats!

Plus, I don't really get why people get so worked up with players like Hourihane and Trez starting anyway. They are clearly going to the bench unless they improve. They provide different elements. Just be happy and grateful we have some form of quality on bench this season. Trez will be better too, just because he didn't do anything against a very deep and organised side, don't write him off. May not have stayed up without him or Conor!

• Like 1

VT is humorous when it comes to Hourihane and has been since he joined probably.. Has a game where ( insert any game really against Norwich ) where he scores plenty. Also, lots of of other games he scored great goals and delivered great set pieces and it's all positive. But when none of those come off - it's all negative. I'll nail my colours to the mast now re Hourihane before he pings in a hatrick from frees against Fulham. I'll stand by this regardless. Great at set pieces. Does not influence the game or is technically good enough on the ball in open play to be in a villa team that seemingly wants to kick on.

Conor will be a useful squad player. As a fanbase we need to realise that every player cannot be a nailed on starter- we are not yet Man City or Liverpool. So Conor, Trez and el Ghazi will become our 2nd string 11 and squad players. They can all do a job. 

Westwood and Enda Stevens despised on the forums are still performing for teams that placed higher than Villa last season. Connor is better than Westwood

Â