Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Until we recruit better Hourihane starts in my opinion. The midfield we finished the season with was our most effective all season. Douglas hitting the form he did helped no end. McGinn coming back to fitness helped also. Say what you like, but a half fit McGinn offers more than Nakamba and Drinkwater put together. Although in that duo Nakamba is doing the heavy lifting to be honest.

Hourihane was also getting stuck in more often than I have seen before. I think there was much more instruction from the coaches after lockdown and it paid off especially with players like Conor and Luiz, Konsa too. He's got great character - when the going gets tough then he nearly always produces something, the first leg semi against West Brom, at home against Norwich in the PL, his corner for Elmo's goal against Newcastle, the free kick against  Everton for Konsa's goal. I know there are concerns regarding his ball winning etc. but until better comes in then he has to start.

• Like 2

I'm still not convinced Hourihane plays in a role/ way most Villa fans understand and/or appreciate. He's not a defensive midfielder, he's not the dribble and all out attack midfielder but what he is is a vital link with loads of short passes that retain possession and keep us in control. Some of the simplest little layoffs show such a great reading of the game but aren't showy so it doesn't get noticed. He scored the winner against Norwich in December but it's the little awereness of space and clever outside flick that starts that move off. People have a go because he might go backwards or sidewards with his passes but his role is about retention. Then throw in his deadball skills and general attitude and you have a very very solid professional at Premier League level.

Another player who got slaughtered by Villa fans was Ashley Westwood. I think Conor is better still. And Westwood has been a mainstay in a Premier League team since we sold him. Neither are world beaters but they are both more than capable at this level. It's an underappreciated role.

Hourihane is one of my FAVOURITE players even though I know he isn't one of our BEST players. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm still not convinced Hourihane plays in a role/ way most Villa fans understand and/or appreciate. He's not a defensive midfielder, he's not the dribble and all out attack midfielder but what he is is a vital link with loads of short passes that retain possession and keep us in control. Some of the simplest little layoffs show such a great reading of the game but aren't showy so it doesn't get noticed. He scored the winner against Norwich in December but it's the little awereness of space and clever outside flick that starts that move off. People have a go because he might go backwards or sidewards with his passes but his role is about retention. Then throw in his deadball skills and general attitude and you have a very very solid professional at Premier League level.

Another player who got slaughtered by Villa fans was Ashley Westwood. I think Conor is better still. And Westwood has been a mainstay in a Premier League team since we sold him. Neither are world beaters but they are both more than capable at this level. It's an underappreciated role.

Hourihane is one of my FAVOURITE players even though I know he isn't one of our BEST players. 

Its an interesting point.

My other half, who is a ST holder, still bangs the drum for Westwood, yeah we have our differences.....but I can see the comparison with Conor.

21 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Another player who got slaughtered by Villa fans was Ashley Westwood. I think Conor is better still.

Absolutely no chance he's better than Westwood.

Hourihane wants to play an alternative version of football where he doesn't have to touch to ball unless it's a shot at goal or a set-piece.

If he starts 30 league games next season, we'll be battling relegation again.

Simply too short in too many areas. If we sign a player who can take a free-kick he has no function in a matchday squad.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

This just isn't true. Yes he is very good at doing little lay offs and short passes, but he doesn't do anywhere near enough of them because he's rarely in the thick of things.

According to WhoScored he averages 22.7 passes per game. For comparison, Nakamba averages 27, Grealish averages 38, and Drinkwater (!) averages 42.

The common criticism of Hourihane is spot on - he just isn't involved enough in open play.

He is still a really useful player to have in the squad, and he has definitely contributed to our survival this season. Let's not get carried away with him being some kind of vital cog though.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I think, when he plays, he needs to be closer to the CF so that we can use his attacking/shooting ability. He’s a good player for the squad but not good enough for the first team. Maybe he can improve as he seemed “at it” for our last few games...

I just think it’s a shame that we rarely take advantage of all the fouls we (well, Grealish 😆) wins and rarely look dangerous from set pieces. Conor is all we have for that atm and it certainly isn’t one of Jacks strengths. 

McGinn and him play in the wrong roles. If they swapped we would be far more dangerous because eof his shooting ability and mcginns ability to drive the ball from deep 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

McGinn and him play in the wrong roles. If they swapped we would be far more dangerous because eof his shooting ability and mcginns ability to drive the ball from deep 

I think the problem is that McGinn is probably not as positionally sound as Hourihane when we dont have the ball

If Hourihane was competing in the 100m against a 92 year old with a zimmer frame , he'd need a head start to win 

He has his merits but expecting him to play in a midfield tracking players all over the pitch isn't one of them , but there will be certain games where he will be useful so i'd keep him as a squad player

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's a player you play where we will have a lot of the ball in the attacking third i.e. against the bottom 5 or 6 teams. That is when he thrives as he interlinks well with Jack and Targett and helps us create chances and gets in shooting positions. Everyone else he is a waste of time (well apart from the recent games). 

17 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He's a player you play where we will have a lot of the ball in the attacking third i.e. against the bottom 5 or 6 teams. That is when he thrives as he interlinks well with Jack and Targett and helps us create chances and gets in shooting positions. Everyone else he is a waste of time (well apart from the recent games). 

Thought he played well against Arse.

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely no chance he's better than Westwood.

Hourihane wants to play an alternative version of football where he doesn't have to touch to ball unless it's a shot at goal or a set-piece.

If he starts 30 league games next season, we'll be battling relegation again.

Simply too short in too many areas. If we sign a player who can take a free-kick he has no function in a matchday squad.

Really ?  did you read anything from the previous post

52 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Really ?  did you read anything from the previous post

Yes.

Have you read the consistent criticisms of him since we were in the Championship? He has his level and uses.

If he's starting 30 PL games next season we've failed this summer. Or, I suppose, we've improved to such a remarkable degree he's free to play his special teams set-piece role when he sits on the periphery of every game but can still contribute.

This sums it up tbh.

18 hours ago, roonst83 said:

He’s not a very good player. But can do very good things.

• Like 1

I actually think Luiz, Conor and McGinn is a really strong midfield.

Would be happy to get a quality midfielder in but i wouldn't be crying about it if we went into the new season with that midfield.

A proper number 9 and a winger is so much more important imo.

Edited by villalad21

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

Have you read the consistent criticisms of him since we were in the Championship? He has his level and uses.

If he's starting 30 PL games next season we've failed this summer. Or, I suppose, we've improved to such a remarkable degree he's free to play his special teams set-piece role when he sits on the periphery of every game but can still contribute.

This sums it up tbh.

I agree with the assessment of how he can be utilised to a degree in the future   , but you didn't and continue to ignore or  fully appreciate what he has done for the benefit of the team   . 

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I actually think Luiz, Conor and McGinn is a really strong midfield.

Would be happy to get a quality midfielder in but i wouldn't be crying about it if we went into the new season with that midfield.

A proper number 9 and a winger is so much more important imo.

While it is true that both a 9 and a winger are vital, I think we need another proper midfielder. All it takes is an injury and we're stuck with nakamba, or we play grealish in midfield and are stuck with trez/Ghazi on the wing. 

Connor would be a great backup for rotation, to bring in for more attacking intent and as Cover for injuries and suspensions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WooJung said:

While it is true that both a 9 and a winger are vital, I think we need another proper midfielder. All it takes is an injury and we're stuck with nakamba, or we play grealish in midfield and are stuck with trez/Ghazi on the wing. 

Connor would be a great backup for rotation, to bring in for more attacking intent and as Cover for injuries and suspensions. 

As long as we have strikers that doesn't score goals Conor has to be in the team.

The goals have to come from somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

As long as we have strikers that doesn't score goals Conor has to be in the team.

The goals have to come from somewhere.

Which is why, as you say, our priority is a proper striker (and winger to supply him) 🙂

But i would still look to improve our midfield too, and I can't see Conor being picked ahead of McGinn and Luiz.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Conor and I think we have underutilised him this season, but I see him more as a very good squad player, if we are to improve 

Â