Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

• 2 weeks later...

When you're looking to consolidate in the Prem, you need players like Conor who can create goals from set pieces etc. His delivery is up there with some of the best in the league, and often it's the lack of a clinical finisher that's the problem rather than Conor's input. Yes, he can be anonymous at times, but he's well worth having on the pitch/bench in order to make things happen some times. I'd love us to strengthen the midfield, but I'd also want to keep Conor because he does create a lot more chances than people give him credit for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Conor is a player who needs to stay with the club......whether he commands a first team place depends on us having better players......but he has given us loyalty and has a wand of a left foot.

We need to be philosophical about him.....I hope he sticks around.

Totally agree with you here TRO.

He's still got something more to offer to Villa yet and is a very useful squad player.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I hundred percent agree, he is part of the essence of the football club at the moment

Yeah we got a lot of shit footballers. Been like that for years. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Wes said:

Has been linked with a move to a couple of Turkish clubs (Besiktas and Trabzonspor) in Turkish media.

The manager of Trabzonspor is Eddie Newton who was assistant manager for West Brom and Chelsea for a time.

I've seen some f***ed up links in my time but that's up there with the best of them.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2020 at 22:44, MaVilla said:

as others have said really, i have no issue at all with him being a squad player, he seems to have a great attitude and work ethic.

However, if he is considered first 11 at the start of the season, this transfer window would have gone badly wrong.

I could also say that about Trez, El Ghazi, Davis and Samatta at least. Difference is I'd not want those four players on the bench ideally either as they offer so little.

I have all the time in the world for Hourihane. He's not the best player we have, but he's my favourite. I love his work ethic, I love that he's scored some absolute beauties for us at the most crucial times and I kind of like him purely because I think he is underrated and gets unfair flack from some fans.

Hourihane is absolutely a Premier League player, he may not be good enough for where we want to go but he's definitely good enough for where we are and probably will be for at least the next couple of seasons. As somewhat of a fringe player he still scored 3 goals in the league and had 5 assists. 

• Like 2

On 04/08/2020 at 13:29, Pez1974 said:

Reminder - he's had 1 season in the Prem, in a struggling side, without a recognised goalscorer, in a midfield that got overrun too much and with a defence which was flakey - at least until after lockdown.

Yes, he can go missing. And yes, he was part of the midfield which got overrun too often.
But you can't write him off, especially when his stats show the impact he has made. And a big part of his job was to feed the woeful front line, and his midfield peers - Jack's better, but we want £80m for him. McGinn is better, but he runs around a lot, so I suspect that people are better disposed to him.

I agree that if he is a regular starter next season, then we're either in the shit, or he has massively improved. But why would we 'get rid' when a good coach will make a very good squad player of him - after all, if we need a goal, we need someone to assist (and occasionally pop a free kick into the top corner).

On 14/08/2020 at 20:10, jasonperry_uk said:

When you're looking to consolidate in the Prem, you need players like Conor who can create goals from set pieces etc. His delivery is up there with some of the best in the league, and often it's the lack of a clinical finisher that's the problem rather than Conor's input. Yes, he can be anonymous at times, but he's well worth having on the pitch/bench in order to make things happen some times. I'd love us to strengthen the midfield, but I'd also want to keep Conor because he does create a lot more chances than people give him credit for. 

you are right.....we need to strengthen the midfield....but at the same time keep Conor.

I thought Weston McKennie was a serious consideration, his footballing attributes are impressive.....sad it looks like he is going to Juve.

Â