Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

CH is never a DM and I doubt even a PL player. Yes he is good a set pieces but in open play he has no confidence on the ball. We desperately needed strength in the middle today and he just hasn’t got it. When Luiz settles I reckon CH will be on the bench. 

Agreed. All though I wonder if Luiz could end up higher and Marvelous dit deeper.  Will be interesting to see what Deano's plans are 

15 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Amazing how we see players so differently. 

It is mate, I thought Luiz was cack when he came on. Admittedly, the circumstances were against him and it is very early on in his Villa career. Hourihane has made a career out of proving people wrong, and I think he will continue to do so. 

I see his role now as a squad rotation player who will be pushing the others for a place. He's not an automatic starter, he wasn't last season, but he will make sure Luiz, Nakamba, Lansbury, Grealish or McGinn are working blinking hard to be in the first 11. 

An invaluable player, a top pro, thought of highly and essential to our success this season. 

7 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

It is mate, I thought Luiz was cack when he came on. Admittedly, the circumstances were against him and it is very early on in his Villa career. Hourihane has made a career out of proving people wrong, and I think he will continue to do so. 

I see his role now as a squad rotation player who will be pushing the others for a place. He's not an automatic starter, he wasn't last season, but he will make sure Luiz, Nakamba, Lansbury, Grealish or McGinn are working blinking hard to be in the first 11. 

An invaluable player, a top pro, thought of highly and essential to our success this season. 

He came on in the 82nd minute. Is this a wind up. Cack??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

He came on in the 82nd minute. Is this a wind up. Cack??

Not a wind up, I thought he was poor when he came on. Is that a problem? I'm not stupid, I understand that Luiz is new to the team and the Premier League. That doesn't detract from the fact that he looked off the pace and let Sissoko skip past him for Spurs third goal. 

Absolutely abysmal as a dm, players just walk past him. He should be there to compete with McGinn and nothing else, can pass and has a great final ball but truly dreadful at covering the defence. Smith made a mistake playing him and also not playing our best fullbacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

CH is never a DM and I doubt even a PL player. Yes he is good a set pieces but in open play he has no confidence on the ball. We desperately needed strength in the middle today and he just hasn’t got it. When Luiz settles I reckon CH will be on the bench. 

Here we go.

New Season and the start of what looks to be blaming one or two guys instead of seeing it for what it is.

Which is that Spurs are a fantastic team, top four in fact, we did amazing at first to defend our lead while we were pushed back. Didn't half take spurs a while to break us down to the point spurs had us backed up so bad they were throwing all sorts at us, could have easily been more.

I just don't see that blaming anyone or just one person here is the way to go, if anything blame Spurs, better on the ball, we got dominated by a well oiled, seasons moulded squad. Spurs also caused to many tactical fouls while we were on the ball, something I really thought wasn't a thing that bad in the premier, plus that ref I couldn't bloody stand, he may many questionable bad choices.

See I dint like Kodjia on the pitch, yet till we've had a 50/50 game, you just can't go blaming the man. For what was one squad who were thrown together faster that a bacon sarnie can be cooked and the other who are like aged meat, i dont think we played bad, we certainly caught them out.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Funnily enough despite people's reservations about him not having the defensive skills needed to play as a DM, that was probably the strongest aspect of his game today in what was a good performance. Only real criticism from me is that - like much of the rest of the team - he looked like he wasn't used to the pace of the game at all and his distribution really suffered for it. A lot of the team are learning on the job when it comes to playing at this level, but I think he showed enough to suggest he'll be able to make the transition and become very useful for us this season.

Yes I think your right, spurs pressured us constantly, I also think our guys went down way to much whether if it was spurs or our guys trying to win those fouls. 

Spurs just dominated the flow of the game and we seemed unable to do it back fir a spell to them, I'm not surprised though.

The Prem is a place where players just don't tire like they do in the champ, well not in the same ways anyways. We were ineffective because of many reason, where I don't think blaming anyone even comes into it.

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Not a wind up, I thought he was poor when he came on. Is that a problem? I'm not stupid, I understand that Luiz is new to the team and the Premier League. That doesn't detract from the fact that he looked off the pace and let Sissoko skip past him for Spurs third goal. 

Pretty much an understatement lol, just like your comment about it being early into his Villa career. He landed on Wednesday from Brazil and had his first and only session Thurs. And then comes on for the last 8 mins for a team being overrun from every position. How about we let him unpack before you start calling him cack eh?! 

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Here we go.

New Season and the start of what looks to be blaming one or two guys instead of seeing it for what it is.

Which is that Spurs are a fantastic team, top four in fact, we did amazing at first to defend our lead while we were pushed back. Didn't half take spurs a while to break us down to the point spurs had us backed up so bad they were throwing all sorts at us, could have easily been more.

I just don't see that blaming anyone or just one person here is the way to go, if anything blame Spurs, better on the ball, we got dominated by a well oiled, seasons moulded squad. Spurs also caused to many tactical fouls while we were on the ball, something I really thought wasn't a thing that bad in the premier, plus that ref I couldn't bloody stand, he may many questionable bad choices.

See I dint like Kodjia on the pitch, yet till we've had a 50/50 game, you just can't go blaming the man. For what was one squad who were thrown together faster that a bacon sarnie can be cooked and the other who are like aged meat, i dont think we played bad, we certainly caught them out.

I agree. Context was we were playing one of the best teams in the league. We were hard to break down and had a few chances ourselves. We definitely didn't deserve a 3-1.

54 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Not scapegoating to point out a players deficiencies. Connor simply isn’t a player who will fulfil a DM role. He’s too powder puff when competing for the ball. People see things differently I suppose.

I agree mate, if you watch their equaliser he should be charging that ball down throwing his body in front of it but he just stops and watches, he also just post a picture on Instagram saying how proud he is to make his premier league debut, yeah ok I get your proud but we lost at the end of the day so don’t really get that, you wouldn’t of seen Roy Keane be proud to lose on his debut.

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I agree mate, if you watch their equaliser he should be charging that ball down throwing his body in front of it but he just stops and watches, he also just post a picture on Instagram saying how proud he is to make his premier league debut, yeah ok I get your proud but we lost at the end of the day so don’t really get that, you wouldn’t of seen Roy Keane be proud to lose on his debut.

I think he has all reason to be proud, and say it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Pretty much an understatement lol, just like your comment about it being early into his Villa career. He landed on Wednesday from Brazil and had his first and only session Thurs. And then comes on for the last 8 mins for a team being overrun from every position. How about we let him unpack before you start calling him cack eh?! 

@PompeyVillan isn’t saying Luiz will be rubbish, he’s saying in the minutes Luiz played yesterday he didn’t impress. Don’t see anything wrong with that. 

As for Conor thought he did ok, but like the rest of the midfield will learn from spurs and how quick they are on you. 

• Thanks 1

Â