Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Not quite sure what game some of you were watching. Hourihane was brilliant first half, broke up the play well and harassed their midfield.

Second half he tired as did the rest of the team. We effectively chased shadows for 45 minutes.

The 'he's not a DM' debate is boring now. He's not a DM, but until Luiz and Nakamba have been integrated into the squad he will play there. Hourihane is one of our most important players whether that's starting at DM, pushing McGinn and Grealish for a starting CM spot or coming off the bench late on; he will be massive for us this season with his goals and assists.

Don't know why we always have to have a scapegoat.

Totally agree.

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

Hourihane is always the scapegoat. 

Whenever anything goes against us it will always be him, the things that cost us the game were poor substitutions and Grealish fannying about in a dangerous area which he has done on more than one occasion.

We were not losing when Hourihane was on the pitch, however it's never anyone else's fault.

I thought he played well today and he is far more productive in terms of goals and assists than anyone else in our midfield.

Seems like our fanbase single him out as he isn't McGinn/Grealish and he doesn't have flashy foreign name. 

It's quite tiresome to be honest and we wouldn't be in the premier league without his goals or assists which some people seem to forget.

I think you make some fair comments.

Jack needs to address this, its letting him down, its almost a bit self indulgent......I don't want to go over board, because I love the lad, but he needs to cut this out.

Conor has a wide gait and it doesn't lend itself to close ball control, he hasn't got the quick feet of the ballers......but I guess that same Gait is why he has such a wand of a left foot.

until we are in a position to spend and attract a 50 million pound midfielder who has everything......we will be having these debates.

I think he had a fair game yesterday, but he is an easy target.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I think when he got tired he didn’t show for the ball as much. I personally would have gone with two DM’s once Eriksen came on.

Spot on

17 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Pretty much an understatement lol, just like your comment about it being early into his Villa career. He landed on Wednesday from Brazil and had his first and only session Thurs. And then comes on for the last 8 mins for a team being overrun from every position. How about we let him unpack before you start calling him cack eh?! 

I think you make some fair points there... Makes me wonder why we brought Luiz on though. 

Because Spurs had backed us in such a corner, we really should of switched full defensive, the rate we got shut down was for many reasons and I don't blame a single player.

As I've just read Spurs was our Baptism of fire, they were on point and if we can move on from this now we know what's ahead, then we should hopefully be fine.

9 hours ago, KHV said:

Whenever anything goes against us it will always be him, the things that cost us the game were poor substitutions and Grealish fannying about in a dangerous area which he has done on more than one occasion.

We were not losing when Hourihane was on the pitch, however it's never anyone else's fault.

I thought he played well today and he is far more productive in terms of goals and assists than anyone else in our midfield.

Seems like our fanbase single him out as he isn't McGinn/Grealish and he doesn't have flashy foreign name. 

It's quite tiresome to be honest and we wouldn't be in the premier league without his goals or assists which some people seem to forget.

It's funny how often the scapegoat over the years on VT has been the deepest lying midfielder. 

I think it's the most under-appreciated position in football. 

• Like 4

There really is a load of tosh about Hourihane being made a ‘scapegoat’. Long before yesterdays game I and many others on VT agreed he wasn’t a DM. In fact I don’t remember many claiming otherwise.

We didn’t lose because of him v Spurs but that doesnt change the reality about his lack of ability as a DM. 

We lost because we are not yet good enough. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree, but don't you see the absurdity in playing 2 DMCs who aren't proper ballwinners instead of playing one proper anchor? 

You are closing down twice the amount of space with 2, limiting the opposition's passing options. Fewer passing options generally means fewer attacks. Not really absurd at all. 

8 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think when he got tired he didn’t show for the ball as much. I personally would have gone with two DM’s once Eriksen came on.

It would have been the right thing to do, whilst bringing jota inside and taking el ghazi off. 

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

You are closing down twice the amount of space with 2, limiting the opposition's passing options. Fewer passing options generally means fewer attacks. Not really absurd at all. 

It is when one proper one does it better than two poor ones. Think you missed my point. 

16 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think we may well have done that, even from the start, but Marvelous and Luiz aren’t up to speed yet. In away games against some of the better teams that could be a combination we’ll see. 

18 hours ago, KHV said:

he doesn't have flashy foreign name. 

He’s already addressed this problem. For years we’ve been pronouncing his name as Hughrihane when all along it’s been Howrihane. He just needs to go one step further perhaps and replace the e with io

Are anyone actually scapegoating him though? I know this is a common retort when people are critical of a spesific player. Hourihane did fine the first half, but he was poor the second half. And because we had him at DMC they were allowed to walk around our CB's like there was no DMC present at all. He simply does not have the physical attributes to cover the defence to a sufficient degree against very good teams. 

I will actually review my opinion of him, as I thought he would be better suited for us defending than in possession, but it's clear when we are defending he is much more of a liability than when we are in possession. This is not me scapegoating him, as I quite like him as a footballer, but it's clear his DMC limitations affects our ability to defend well. Surely we can say this without bringing out the 'scapegoating card'. 

And like I said last season when everyone was creaming about him, if it wasn't for his set pieces he wouldn't be so highly thought of. It's such a weird logic to want a player to be in the team in case we might get a set piece that he might possibly perhaps score a goal from. And that's assuming everyone else we got at the club can't score from a free kick. I won't go as far as saying he's a one trick pony, cause he isn't, but he isn't good enough for us to utilize him as a first team player in the PL. In my opinion. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, KHV said:

The Westwood syndrome.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's funny how often the scapegoat over the years on VT has been the deepest lying midfielder. 

I think it's the most under-appreciated position in football. 

I think you are spot on.

In many ways an absolutely crucial position.....Its the engine room.

I have always thought, when the role is fully appreciated and understood, we have arrived as a spectators.

Â