Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

23 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Hourihane replacing one of our wingers?

am i hearing that right?

madness.

Replacing doesn't mean playing in the same role. But if you want to play him in an advanced role, but hang onto Jack and McGinn, what else can you do?

On 04/08/2019 at 13:20, villabromsgrove said:

Scoring (and assisting) is the point of the game and Hourihane does that regularly.

What position would you play him in, or would you just discount his twenty goals and assists per season potential?

I think this is where I differ from many of you guys. If I believed he was able to continue assisting/scoring in the PL, I would have to make room for him. I'm hesitant, so I must not believe he will.

28 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I think this is where I differ from many of you guys. If I believed he was able to continue assisting/scoring in the PL, I would have to make room for him. I'm hesitant, so I must not believe he will.

I was sceptical as well, but he's just done it against a decent Champions League team who were taking the game pretty seriously as far as I could see. I think some things travel up the divisions well, and How-ri-han's left peg is one of them. Surely he'll be a threat against Bournemouth etc.?

58 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Replacing doesn't mean playing in the same role. But if you want to play him in an advanced role, but hang onto Jack and McGinn, what else can you do?

dont play him.

Could we all respect him enough to pronounce his name correctly? It is clearly detailed by Conor as How-ri-han on the recent BBC podcast, so much that Conor offered the BBC interviewer a bottle wine if he could get his name pronounced correctly on this season’s MOTD. Even captain Jack (Woodward) is pronouncing it correctly on the Villa commentaries.

D D D D D D  CONOR  HOWRIHAN doesn’t spoil his song either.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Cannot find passes under pressure and cannot play one touch, it has always been his weakness when the pace of the game gets high.

And that was evident in the championship !! He went missing out there today but look we could harp on all day about him. I'd be shocked if Douglas doesn't start next weekend.

Doesn't suit DMC position against very good teams. You need someone with acceleration, tackling, intensity, urgency, not a slow soft Irishman. 

I like Conor though so it's not like I don't wanna see him play. Just is a bad spot for him against technical world class players. At one point when Eriksen moved past him and had a shot, you could see Conor didn't have the engine to get back nor the big bollocks to land a good tackle and clatter him. That's the type of stuff that loses you a lot of points over a season. Having him at DMC against Norwich, fine. Against the best teams, no. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Did what he does all the time. A very Hourihane performance.

Puts pressure on everyone around him, which is the whole side when he's playing DM.

Not good enough to be in that position.

• Like 1

Yeah, of all the games to play him there, an away game in front of 58,000 home fans against CL runners up was an odd choice. 

I think Smith wanted to use as many of last years squad as possible but you may get away with using him against some of the bottom half teams, but Smith should have played Louis from the start for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did what he does all the time. A very Hourihane performance.

Puts pressure on everyone around him, which is the whole side when he's playing DM.

Not good enough to be in that position.

Agree, could be useful at this level as an impact sub when chasing a game late but general play is far from good enough to be a regular dm in this league

Just now, sidcow said:

Yeah, of all the games to play him there, an away game in front of 58,000 home fans against CL runners up was an odd choice. 

I think Smith wanted to use as many of last years squad as possible but you may get away with using him against some of the bottom half teams, but Smith should have played Louis from the start for me. 

I mean, yes and no. He'll lose his place soon enough. Luiz looked decent. That will be his position soon.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Have a feeling that it will eventually be Nakamba who replaces him as our DM, with Luiz and McGinn making up the other three midfielders, and Grealish having to be used further forward

100% this, team will be far more balanced

He did his best and worked hard. 

It’s a tough one for me because I do think he has the ability to play at this level, but just not as a DM. 

Today summed it up, McGinn had more tackles and Jack played more passes. I know there is more to the game than stats, but if you’re the deep lying DM, you’d expect to be either having the most passes or the most tackles in a midfield 3? You’re either the destroyer who gets about people and breaks play up, or the player taking it off the CH’s and dictating play/tempo. He can’t really do either of those jobs effectively, so he ends up doing a bit of both and not enough of either.  

Â