Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 18/08/2019 at 16:20, TRO said:

you have been listening to my Mrs ( season ticket holder too like me)....she liked Westwood and liked his ability to recycle......seems to work for Burnley.

Our most underrated player during the Lambert era.

What i didn't like about him were his awful chipped corners. I hate corners like that, no pace on them at all.

• Like 1

Watching McGinn over hit corners, or watching us waste our freekicks was angering. Conor serves a purpose in this team. 

Grealish and McGinn draw so many fouls each match so having someone who can consistently whip in a great ball makes us a threat. We are struggling with goals, so we can't afford to waste the few chances we get. 

Conor needs to get into the team.

3-5-1-1? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Watching McGinn over hit corners, or watching us waste our freekicks was angering. Conor serves a purpose in this team. 

Grealish and McGinn draw so many fouls each match so having someone who can consistently whip in a great ball makes us a threat. We are struggling with goals, so we can't afford to waste the few chances we get. 

3-5-1-1? 

And he will get game time.  Easily one of my favourite players.  He always improves, there is a lot to be said for someone like him who has made his way to the big league the hard way.  Nothing but respect for him.  I was just thinking on Saturday with freekick opportunities he'd have been dangerous.

15 hours ago, Czechlad said:

3-5-1-1? 

I think he needs to start next to Douglas Luiz in a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think he needs to start next to Douglas Luiz in a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

This, I think we were far to open at times V Bournemouth, I would drop el Gazi for him, and hopefully when upto speed left footed "Marvelous" will come into the team next to Luiz

I share other peoples gripes about set pieces on Saturday, they were frankly awful. 

2 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

This, I think we were far to open at times V Bournemouth, I would drop el Gazi for him, and hopefully when upto speed left footed "Marvelous" will come into the team next to Luiz

I share other peoples gripes about set pieces on Saturday, they were frankly awful. 

I am pretty sure Dean will have picked up on set lack of quality on the set pieces and we will find Hourihane back in the team, soon.

On 18/08/2019 at 07:39, villalad21 said:

We need goals.

Hourihane scores goals. I don't care how, just get him in the team.

He scored goals in the Championship.

Premier League is a different kettle of fish.

I'm not saying he can't, just that it's not a given.

Also, while I'm a fan of Hourihane, he was a BIT of a luxury for us. Absolutely worth having in the team for his set piece ability and his ability to get a goal but he did lack things in other areas.
Is that a luxury we can afford in the Premier League?

Open question, I'm just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

McGinn and Pukki were also Championship players. 

Disagree with him being a luxury player. He is a hard working player.

40 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Same. 

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also, while I'm a fan of Hourihane, he was a BIT of a luxury for us. Absolutely worth having in the team for his set piece ability and his ability to get a goal but he did lack things in other areas.

At the expense of El Ghazi I'd say yes definately.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games and been poor from set pieces and corners. The defense needs help and we need a goal scoring option I think Conor brings both of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn and Pukki were also Championship players. 

Yeah but that doesn't mean every player from the champioship will be effective in the premier league otherwise Norwich would be winning the prem this season.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 07:39, villalad21 said:

We need goals.

Hourihane scores goals. I don't care how, just get him in the team.

The Brazilian fella that took his place has a pretty impressive record thus far

1 start 1 screamer 😋

He'd have been steamrolled in that Bournemouth game. It was a snappy midfield battle. He wouldn't have made Doug Luiz's errors but I don't think we'd have been as dominant either.

I just don't see where you can play him. The Grealish/McGinn role is the only one I can see him in but he's very short in ball carrying which we've become accustomed to having from that position.

He's not good enough to be shifting Grealish out wide as a few have said I'm afraid. Could plonk him wide left and just tell him to sling it in like Elmo does on the other side constantly, but I don't think that would be a success.

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He'd have been steamrolled in that Bournemouth game. It was a snappy midfield battle. He wouldn't have made Doug Luiz's errors but I don't think we'd have been as dominant either.

I just don't see where you can play him. The Grealish/McGinn role is the only one I can see him in but he's very short in ball carrying which we've become accustomed to having from that position.

He's not good enough to be shifting Grealish out wide as a few have said I'm afraid. Could plonk him wide left and just tell him to sling it in like Elmo does on the other side constantly, but I don't think that would be a success.

I think he's best placed is in diamond. I think we'd see a real different team if we changed our formation. We could always get El Ghazi for one of the midfielders to get back to playing wingers.

When you look at it, we want Hourihane but we don't want to lose any current CM. I don't know when we were this happy with all of our choices.

All of that with putting Nakamba in the equation just yet. 

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:33, Stevo985 said:

I think the term luxury player for me makes me think of a real flair player who does do any defensive work whatsoever.  Of course I acknowledge there are different types of luxury players, but I don't think Conor is one.  He works his socks off, he may not be the best player in the world but he has some great qualities that we are all aware of.  He has scored goals and made goals in every league he has played in so far.  I hope he gets a proper chance which I feel he will do, because he will make the step up, only in my opinion of course.

It's not the time to panic and start making changes. I anticipated that Conor would be one of those players that gets better and better in fans eyes the longer he doesn't play. He should only be used as cover if McGinn or Grealish are injured. He's not a defensive midfielder and never will be one. I expect Luiz/Marvellous and John & Jack will be the first choice midfield all season. So against Everton it will be the same midfield as against Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's not the time to panic and start making changes. I anticipated that Conor would be one of those players that gets better and better in fans eyes the longer he doesn't play. He should only be used as cover if McGinn or Grealish are injured. He's not a defensive midfielder and never will be one. I expect Luiz/Marvellous and John & Jack will be the first choice midfield all season. So against Everton it will be the same midfield as against Bournemouth. 

For me it isn't a case of him not playing the last game make him automatically a better player.  I think he is a good player with some very good qualities in terms of set pieces.  We had lots of set pieces in our last game where we didn't start Conor and they were for the most part terrible, as people have openly acknowledged.

On 21/08/2019 at 09:16, zab6359 said:

At the expense of El Ghazi I'd say yes definately.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games and been poor from set pieces and corners. The defense needs help and we need a goal scoring option I think Conor brings both of those.

Is exactly the change I would make. 

When you look at we've conceded 4 goals when Conor was not on the field and only 1 when he was on

He can't be that bad defensively and what he offers going forward with set pieces in my opinion in this league especially as chances will be few and far between

If we can someone with his dead ball skills it's got be worth at least 10 goals a season which can only help us 

For me it has be 4 2 3 1 formation with him and luiz sitting kinda similar to the way Leicester play 

Edited by gaffer85
Mispell

Â