Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Really interesting to see looking back to around the time we signed him. He was comfortably the best midfielder in the league, but he was very much a box to box player. He hasn't turned out to be the player I hoped we we're signing but he's still turned out to be a cracking buy by Steve Bruce.

I wouldn't sell him......certainly not cheaply anyway.

Any player that has goals in them .....do not come cheap.

He is a valuable squad member IMO....but he's not a DM

Edited by TRO

So, is he our top scorer so far this season in all competitions? With 2 goals.

I really like Conor, and hope he starts today,  but I’d imagine that Luiz has made that role his own and I can’t see him displacing either Jack or SJMG so probs a role from the bench if at all. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can't see why we'd start him to be honest. Doesn't get into our first 11 at this stage.

Yep, that’s what I think too. I would probs start him but he won’t displace Luiz, Grealish or McGinn. It’s a good problem to have though, too much quality isn’t a bad thing :) 

• Like 1

I've been against this but I think we might have to try Grealish on the flank even thou it's not his best position (as far as we know) He is good at cutting inside and crossing the ball thou.

Partly because Grealish is playing too far down the pitch but also because we need Hourihane's set pieces and his ability to deliver assists and goals from open play.

When Marvelous is fit he could also compete for the central position.

• Like 2

Probably could do with his goals and assists, but I don't think swapping him with Luiz would help us. I think we really need Nakamba in there as well, he's our only genuine DM in the sense that he's a midfielder who's speciality is stopping the opposition, we're not good enough to play without such a player in our midfield.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Probably could do with his goals and assists, but I don't think swapping him with Luiz would help us. I think we really need Nakamba in there as well, he's our only genuine DM in the sense that he's a midfielder who's speciality is stopping the opposition, we're not good enough to play without such a player in our midfield.

Currently Luiz isn't any better at defending than Conor.

• Like 1

That's why I'd bring in Nakamba. To be fair to Luiz I don't think he's meant to be a defensive minded player, he plays deep for Brazil U21s, but he's more of a deep lying playmaker of sorts, as I've said last season at Girona he wasn't even playing as a DM for them.

• Like 1

Yes, I don't think Luiz has the physicality to play as a DM, especially away from home, on any consistent basis. We really need Nakamba to come good. I would support the idea of getting Hourihane or Lansbury into the team and moving Grealish out wide. 

Hourihane has two particularly good attributes: he's better than average at dead ball situations, and he's good at bursting into the box to get on the end of things. He might be weak at other things, but he does tend to lead to goals being scored and we look like a side who are light of goals. 

15 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Currently Luiz isn't any better at defending than Conor.

sadly, so far you're right......the centre is too light weight for me.....think we need 4-2-3-1, particularly away from home to stabilise.

Imo....if you have competent attackers, you only need 4....the rest can chip in but their prime tendency should be to stabilise and gain control of the game, to win the initiative and battle for supremacy.

6/4 is my favoured mix  for attack and defence.

during our greatest time Morley, shaw, withe and Cowans was the 4 and the rest stabilised......Mortimer chipped in with some attacking play and sid did a bit of tackling and closing too.....but of course the full backs were more competent of making sorties to help the attack.

Edited by TRO

Â