Gareth Southgate

Richard

How shocking is it most of the media want him to stay are all his mates, had dinner and a chat with him. You cannot take anything they say but biased opinion.  80% of the public and nearly all the guys I have spoke to appreciate what he's done but agree we need a change. Southgate has done alot, but 1 thing we don't really have for me is a winning mentality. Not one player came out and said we have come here to win it, to bothered about how good other teams are, that's come from the manager!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

How shocking is it most of the media want him to stay are all his mates, had dinner and a chat with him. You cannot take anything they say but biased opinion.  80% of the public and nearly all the guys I have spoke to appreciate what he's done but agree we need a change. Southgate has done alot, but 1 thing we don't really have for me is a winning mentality. Not one player came out and said we have come here to win it, to bothered about how good other teams are, that's come from the manager!

Unfortunately I don't think that 80% is accurate at all (I wish it was)

Football Ramble have run a poll on it, about 2500 votes so far and around 75% have voted that they want him to stay.

2,500 isn't a massive sample size, but I'd imagine it's fairly representative.

I don't think the public appetite for him to go is there at all to be honest

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Football Ramble have run a poll on it, about 2500 votes so far and around 75% have voted that they want him to stay.

Similar results on the BBC with over 100k responses. Only about 20% want him gone

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree.  Hes done well to take us so far but at the end of the day we have won nothing and not beaten a team that we not favs to do so in a world cup or euros finals.  We have the best league in the world the best crop of young players in world football. We need to be beatiing these top international teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Similar results on the BBC with over 100k responses. Only about 20% want him gone

Sounds about right, especially as I'd expect Football Ramble listeners to be more anti Southgate than the general public

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's there chap, even Talksport couldn't find anyone on the phone to say they wanted Southgate to stay, even the ones who said he had done a great job felt he has hit his ceiling.

Never been a fan of Southgate as manager but unless there is an obvious replacement (Tuchel, Poch, whoever) it makes sense to keep him in for the Euros. Fair play to Gareth and the team because they played very well against France and it's not a given that any old replacement will instantly see us improve further.

• Like 1

Christ, it must be an easy gig managing the national team. I mean, really, really easy. Southgate has failed at 3 tournaments, had us relegated from our nations league and generally been all over the place with team selection and tactics often playing 3 right backs in the same team. 

But it’s ok, he’s brought squad harmony and we’ve got a good young team. Yes, I’m sure Foden, Saka and Bellinghams rise through the ranks has all been down to him and none of these players would be where they are now if say, Southgate wasn’t the England manager, right?

Southgate is an awful manager as his domestic record suggests. He only got the job because of a few decent friendly results when Allardyce got sacked or whatever it was. 

He must be the luckiest bloke alive. If the majority of people want him to stay on after zero success, this must be the best and easiest job in the world. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I agree.  Hes done well to take us so far but at the end of the day we have won nothing and not beaten a team that we not favs to do so in a world cup or euros finals.  We have the best league in the world the best crop of young players in world football. We need to be beatiing these top international teams. 

I agree. I think we are one of the worlds top teams. We absolutely SHOULD be beating these teams but in my opinion everytime we've come up against a team of equal strength and indeed lesser strength but people still rate, we've lost.  

I thought the Euro Final against Italy in particular was an absolute gimme.  Should never have needed penalties. 

Odd team selections and incorrect substitions are usually our downfall. 

I absolutely pray some MLS team offers him more than England can pay. He needs to cash in whilst he's hot because I guarantee his club career at the top end will be short. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Christ, it must be an easy gig managing the national team. I mean, really, really easy. Southgate has failed at 3 tournaments, had us relegated from our nations league and generally been all over the place with team selection and tactics often playing 3 right backs in the same team. 

But it’s ok, he’s brought squad harmony and we’ve got a good young team. Yes, I’m sure Foden, Saka and Bellinghams rise through the ranks has all been down to him and none of these players would be where they are now if say, Southgate wasn’t the England manager, right?

Southgate is an awful manager as his domestic record suggests. He only got the job because of a few decent friendly results when Allardyce got sacked or whatever it was. 

He must be the luckiest bloke alive. If the majority of people want him to stay on after zero success, this must be the best and easiest job in the world. 

Yep. Kane is a nicer person than Rooney. Saka more polite than Jack Wilshere. All down to Gareth.

It's not even his job to win matches/tournaments. It's his job to not embarrass the FA. No scandals, qualify for everything, no early exits to Iceland or other tosh.

By that shitty yardstick, he's shining.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's there chap, even Talksport couldn't find anyone on the phone to say they wanted Southgate to stay, even the ones who said he had done a great job felt he has hit his ceiling.

I’d be more inclined to believe two separate poll of thousands of people than TalkSport

I hope you’re right. But the evidence isn’t there

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I reckon pre tournament it would have been higher. However, this tournament he didn’t go too defensive with a back 5 and 2 holding mids. I think it changed a few peoples opinions, especially as the manner going out wasn’t too bad.

—————

I’ve never been a big fan and think he should’ve won the Euros, but I think a lot of the criticism after this WC is unjustified, and he’s clearly had a positive impact on the squad.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Is there any evidence that he changed the culture? Genuine question.

There's plenty of evidence the culture has changed imo

Evidence that he did it? Not so sure, I think its more social media and modern football, not just an English thing either, they're all mates and in various WhatsApp groups and on holiday together etc the rivalries have gone

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Is there any evidence that he changed the culture? Genuine question.

Well yes compared to the Lampard-Gerrard days when new guys coming into the squad later said how frosty and unwelcoming the atmosphere was because of the CL and league battles at the time.

Carrick also came out and said a few years back he hated being called up in those days, he can't have been the only one given how vicious the press/fans could be if England were in a poor run of form.

Other than Ben White it's a very happy camp these days which is often half the battle at international level to get a club spirit going. Del Bosque referenced it when he took over in 2008 and he needed to sit down the Barca-Real Madrid players and ease the tension and then they went and won the World cup.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

There's plenty of evidence the culture has changed imo

Evidence that he did it? Not so sure, I think its more social media and modern football, not just an English thing either, they're all mates and in various WhatsApp groups and on holiday together etc the rivalries have gone

It seems to be common wisdom that he changed the culture, and I was wondering why.

Without any evidence, it seems more likely that it's the result of the changing circumstances in English football rather than anything specific Southgate has done, but I could be wrong of course.

Â