Gareth Southgate

Richard

I think I actually hate him. I don’t hate many people in football. Even Robbie Savage is a whopper but I can see how he might objectively be ok to some people. Southgate just makes my skin crawl in every possible way. 

• Like 3

Being born after 1966(well after lol), I've always hoped to see England win a major trophy in my lifetime. Something I'd always wanted to experience, seeing the whole Country go frigging mental and party away celebrating being champions of Europe or the WC. Here is the thing though, no matter how many shit managers we've had, and we've had a few, I have still always wanted to see us win and experience that moment in time. Not under Southgate though, he's the only individual to manage England that has made me think god forbid it happens whilst he's in charge.

Probably the most dislikeable character to ever take the job in my opinion, which is weird because he supposedly comes across as a nice guy. Instead I see a narcissist, a liar and a completely patronising human being. He's the kid that commits the crime and blames others, the snitch, the individual you can never trust. I cannot think of anything worse than him winning a trophy with England and becoming some sort of English footballing messiah for the masses. He's an utter w******!   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And wtf is recency bias, has he just made that up

It's the latest football buzzword. It means nothing, especially in this case as Ollie has been on fire throughout the entire calendar year.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Being born after 1966(well after lol), I've always hoped to see England win a major trophy in my lifetime. Something I'd always wanted to experience, seeing the whole Country go frigging mental and party away celebrating being champions of Europe or the WC. Here is the thing though, no matter how many shit managers we've had, and we've had a few, I have still always wanted to see us win and experience that moment in time. Not under Southgate though, he's the only individual to manage England that has made me think god forbid it happens whilst he's in charge.

Probably the most dislikeable character to ever take the job in my opinion, which is weird because he supposedly comes across as a nice guy. Instead I see a narcissist, a liar and a completely patronising human being. He's the kid that commits the crime and blames others, the snitch, the individual you can never trust. I cannot think of anything worse than him winning a trophy with England and becoming some sort of English footballing messiah for the masses. He's an utter w******!   

Same. I can't tell if my lack of interest in England is just a natural aging thing or solely based on Southgate.

The timing of my ennui has coincided directly with his appointment so I'm hoping it's the latter and I find myself interested in how England get on one he's gone,l.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

In 2017:

The thing is, he's contradicted himself over and over again. Since then I'm sure he'll have extolled the virtues of picking on more than just form,  and brought in the angle of experience, and the level played at and any other reason to justify his selection.

He'll say whatever he wants, but the real reason, whatever it is, never comes out. These constant contradictions just make me hate him. He's effectively a pathological liar and I don't trust a thing he says.

Recency bias. He’s talking about the last fortnight isn’t he? 

How about this calendar year? Or is that too recent as well? In terms of English players, only Kane has scored more top flight goals in 2023 than Watkins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

Can’t even pick Ollie without giving him a backhanded compliment.

its obvious and has been for a while that he has a chip on his shoulder about us. Grealish, Mings and Watkins call ups or non call ups come with a smart remark. I cant remember him saying that about anybody else

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And wtf is recency bias, has he just made that up

I think what it means is that he isn’t going to pick players just because they happen to be playing well in the present, he’s going to pick them because they had a good season 5 years ago, cos ya know, why wouldn’t you do that….

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Sounds perfect for a FA job after then. 😂

6 hours ago, villan95 said:

Maguire, Phillips and Henderson in again 😂

Southgate will get away with it with Bellingham's emergency but if either him or Rice get injured before the euros the central midfield options are looking very very uninspiring and certainly not good enough to win a major tournament unless he's radical and tries Foden or Grealish more central.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just looking at the squad - who are the left backs?

It looks like he's picked six centre halves and two right backs.

Kieran Trippier......

Southgate knows he's off in about 10 months so he's just picking the squads he wants to pick rather than experiment or bow to any media pressure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kieran Trippier......

Southgate knows he's off in about 10 months so he's just picking the squads he wants to pick rather than experiment or bow to any media pressure.

Wait til he decides to stay. people gonna lose their shit then

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Wait til he decides to stay. people gonna lose their shit then

Has he even officially said he would leave. He isnt getting another cushy job like this and the FA really would prefer to keep him

Â