Gareth Southgate

Richard

Good

We've got a kane problem in that he plays too much and no one can nail that 2nd striker role, hopefully it's Ollie and he does well because I'd imagine the start vs Malta at home is being lined up too

That nkeitah 2 goals from 3 shots on target stat is actually damning imo he's made 8 appearances started 7 games and scored 2 goals with only 3 shots on target? So he's having a shot on target once every 3 games? That's terrible

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Nketiah will definitely start. He called him up before Watkins so he's ahead of him in the pecking order. If Southgate gives Watkins the start I'll be amazed.

When I watch Nketiah for Arsenal his touch always seems so average and he looks out of his depth playing for them v likes of Man. City and Arsenal.

But he poaches a few goals at the backpost so guess that's good enough to start for England nowadays.

Ollie probably scored as many as Nketiah at prem level in that streak he had between March-April last season.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I know it's slightly easier for the u21s as they lose players but since the new tournament cycle has started carsley has called up 26 new players, 4 debuts tonight

Southgate is currently at 0

I didn't realise how bad that was until I double checked it, the last debutant in an England shirt was jude Bellingham in November 2020

That's mad

Didn't England under 21s do something daft like put 9 past Serbia?

FA get loads of stick and plenty is merited but one thing they got bang on was building St George's Park just over a decade ago. Again loads of talk at the time it was a waste of money but look at the incredible results across all age groups now and finally some technical quality players are being produced in most positions.

Regardless of Southgate this is going to be a very good job for the next manager given the talent in the 20-25 age range. Just potentially managing Bellingham for the next decade will be a huge draw.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't England under 21s do something daft like put 9 past Serbia?

FA get loads of stick and plenty is merited but one thing they got bang on was building St George's Park just over a decade ago. Again loads of talk at the time it was a waste of money but look at the incredible results across all age groups now and finally some technical quality players are being produced in most positions.

Regardless of Southgate this is going to be a very good job for the next manager given the talent in the 20-25 age range. Just potentially managing Bellingham for the next decade will be a huge draw.

yep

since St Georges has opened in 2012 england have won the U17s world cup, U17 euros (and finished runner up), won the U19s euros twice,  U20s world cup, U21s won the euros

if you take say the U19s champions from 2017 Ramsdale, mount and james have now played for the senior team, the U17s champions from 2017 we have guehi, foden, sancho, gallagher, 2017 U20s tomori and calvert lewin, from the U21s he's called up colwill but he's not played yet

2017 winning at 3 different age groups is a huge achievement for st george's, I would say bar CB the players are there, the spine is definitely there especially if kane can decrease the intensity while maintaining his quality 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Good

We've got a kane problem in that he plays too much and no one can nail that 2nd striker role, hopefully it's Ollie and he does well because I'd imagine the start vs Malta at home is being lined up too

That nkeitah 2 goals from 3 shots on target stat is actually damning imo he's made 8 appearances started 7 games and scored 2 goals with only 3 shots on target? So he's having a shot on target once every 3 games? That's terrible

But are those shots recent? Could be recency bias.

• Like 1

Watkin's could score a hatrick tonight, an Southgate will still come out with some psychology babbable bullshit.

"He, (Watkin's) had a good game, but the last thing, we want to do, is put pressure on players, by utilising him, as Englands 2nd striker. If Kane breaks 'both' legs and an arm, an we have to bring, him on in a qualifier, it may not be good for his progression, within the technically coached international game. Playing for an average coach in the premier League, is completely different than being coached by an elite international coach like myself, an I wouldn't want to put that sort of pressure on him this early".  😆

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Haha 1

I'll give him some credit there, aside from Gallagher (who at least is a potential option for the future) and Henderson,  that's a decent a experimental lineup. 

Why has he taken him so long to try it tough?

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I'll give him some credit there, aside from Gallagher (who at least is one potentiation for the future) and Henderson,  that's a decent a experimental lineup. 

Why has he taken him so long to try it tough?

All the talent in this England team is in kane and the potential 3 AMCs behind him

Its so obvious it should be the go to formation

• Like 1

I have literally never known a team to be so negative as this England team. Think we had 6 players forward then and possession and Henderson still found the backwards pass. 

Edited by Spoony

Are we just criticising for criticisings sake with Southgate? . Nope. Theres 2 players that could have run the game this evening. TTA and Maddison. But no. It had to go through State of Jordan Henderson. And those 2 have been marginalised. Stay in your positions . Dont take a risk. Against a team that want to stick in a low block.  

We can play some boring slow stuff at times at VP but as McGinn put it ' when we go we go'  and can go into overdrive.

Nothing ever happens with this team. Theres no traps set. No quick transition. Just plod plod effing plod. 

• Like 2

Â