Gareth Southgate

Richard

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Has he even officially said he would leave. He isnt getting another cushy job like this and the FA really would prefer to keep him

He's not said he's going I don't think. I think he's waiting to be begged to stay. Hopefully England flop at the Euros and the clamber to get him out commences and he walks. No other top European nation would've kept him this long. It shows nobody really gives a shit about international football in this country anymore. 

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I think I’m out of step with most of the comments here. I’m fully supportive of Southgate and his selection. Maguire, Phillips, Henderson. Perfect. 

I do wonder though if me being Scottish has anything to do with the fact I love Southgate being England manager :ph34r:

As an Englishman, I think I might start supporting SJM’s Scotland instead. 

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Wait til he decides to stay. people gonna lose their shit then

He was very close to going after the World cup so think all parties agree it's best he goes after next Euros whatever happens.

It's a very good job for the next one in as you've got pretty much a decade of Saka, Foden and Bellingham plus whoever else emerges in other areas. And they'll finally call an actual left back up. And exile Maguire and Phillips.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And wtf is recency bias, has he just made that up

I think he means form, the thing he said he would only pick players on. Until that didnt suit so has had to make up a new term

• Like 2

Southgate is the ultimate yes man. The FA knew what they were doing when they employed him. Any relative success is just a fortunate by product of their trouble free money making scheme. He is just Smithers off the Simpsons.

I think he is a decent person, but a horrendous manager.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The recent comments about Watkins and being wary of selecting on ‘recency’ is the latest example of a negative tone towards our players. 

Surely it’d have been easier just to say he’s bang on form and playing in a team that’s competing well?!? 

But instead we get a begrudging comment on how current form isn’t a reason to pick players.

I cannot wait for this guy to leave the national team set up. He’s killed all interest in the England team for me

Man is a bell-shaft. Recency bias? What is his reason for picking Nketiah? There is no bias, recent or otherwise. 

Ollie isn't even recency bias - he's one of the top English strikers over the last 3 and a bit seasons. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Man is a bell-shaft. Recency bias? What is his reason for picking Nketiah? There is no bias, recent or otherwise. 

Ollie isn't even recency bias - he's one of the top English strikers over the last 3 and a bit seasons. 

Absolutely - he goes out of his way to find something negative about our players regardless of hypocrisy on his previous words of wisdom. 

utter utter cockwomble 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

My theory: He applied for the manager's job at Villa back in the day and didn't even get an interview. It's the only explanation for his attitude towards the club!

My theory is that he reads VT and does things to wind us all up 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

My theory: He applied for the manager's job at Villa back in the day and didn't even get an interview. It's the only explanation for his attitude towards the club!

He got booed by our fans. That hurt his fragile ego. 

43 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

He got booed by our fans. That hurt his fragile ego. 

Nope, did you not watch the Brighton game? Gary Southgate gets a magnificent reception every time he comes to Villa park, it is always a warm welcome for him due to his playing days with the club....according to the commentator who clearly knows **** all and was just waffling absolute shite

• Haha 2

Its not an anti villa conspiracy, it's not even a top 6 bias

He genuinely just thinks being in the stadium listening to the champions league theme tune gives a player more experience than playing in the PL every week and that experience is worth more than playing well, especially when you need loads of experience to play vs the postmen and pe teachers  of Malta

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not an anti villa conspiracy, it's not even a top 6 bias

He genuinely just thinks being in the stadium listening to the champions league theme tune gives a player more experience than playing in the PL every week and that experience is worth more than playing well, especially when you need loads of experience to play vs the postmen and pe teachers  of Malta

Hasn't helped the Newcastle players get picked (yet) though 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Nope, did you not watch the Brighton game? Gary Southgate gets a magnificent reception every time he comes to Villa park, it is always a warm welcome for him due to his playing days with the club....according to the commentator who clearly knows **** all and was just waffling absolute shite

Haha that was madness 😂

I remember us giving him shit in his first Boro game against us. Hes held onto that for so long 😂

55 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Hasn't helped the Newcastle players get picked (yet) though 

Surprised he's not looked at burn at LB

Pope should be 1st choice

Other than that who else is there? Gordon will no doubt get a call up eventually despite not being good enough, I'd have Barnes ahead of him and don't particularly rate Barnes either

3 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'd rather have Dwight Yorke in charge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Makes me laugh when I see him being suggested as one of the favourites for the Villa job after Emery leaves. He'd probably be even less welcome than Steve Bruce.

Yh this.

it’s when they say shite like this that you realise that these guys have no idea about anything.

Â