Gareth Southgate

Richard

The only answer which I have always stuck with, for him being a media favourite, is they have blatantly been told from the start to lay off him from the FA.  Previous managers got ripped to shreads if they lost a easy game or played negative tactics, gone are the days you could call England coaches Turnip or wally with the brolly.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised he's not looked at burn at LB

Pope should be 1st choice

Other than that who else is there? Gordon will no doubt get a call up eventually despite not being good enough, I'd have Barnes ahead of him and don't particularly rate Barnes either

Yeah Burn probably should have had a chance considering the lack of left backs. Pope should definitely be 1 of the 3 keepers. I actually rate Gordon and on form would have him in over a few. Also Longstaff could be worth a look? Not a great player but at least he's playing competitive football unlike Henderson and Phillips.

On 06/10/2023 at 08:41, luckyeddie said:

Southgate is the ultimate yes man. The FA knew what they were doing when they employed him. Any relative success is just a fortunate by product of their trouble free money making scheme. He is just Smithers off the Simpsons.

I think he is a decent person, but a horrendous manager.

I have gone off him purely because he continues to pick Henderson in spite of the human rights issues going in in Saudi Arabia. Seems very hypocritical to me. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I have gone off him purely because he continues to pick Henderson in spite of the human rights issues going in in Saudi Arabia. Seems very hypocritical to me. 

I wouldn't mind if he just came out and said Henderson is irreplaceable and a great player. We all know he's not, but at least he is making a statement. It's his gaslighting that gets me. Thinking he can outsmart and confuse the public with pointless phrases like 'recency bias'. Who does he think he is convincing?

• Like 1

On 07/10/2023 at 15:24, luckyeddie said:

I wouldn't mind if he just came out and said Henderson is irreplaceable and a great player. We all know he's not, but at least he is making a statement. It's his gaslighting that gets me. Thinking he can outsmart and confuse the public with pointless phrases like 'recency bias'. Who does he think he is convincing?

cant remember who said it here but it was right, put the money aside and the reality is that henderson went to SA because he's not good enough for the PL anymore 

and i'll bang the drum again, id expect southgate to say that henderson is key to the squad because of his experience, we're playing australia in a friendly, we dont need his experience, next month we play malta at home, we dont need his experience, we play north macedonia away in what will more than likely be a dead rubber, we dont need his experience

what we need is fresh blood in central midfield, we need that 3rd starter alongside rice and bellingham, we need better depth on the bench so we can get rid of phillips and henderson...and this clown is naming connor gallagher?

• Like 3

For me he is a perfect example of a non-manager. England qualify because they have great players, not because he is a master tactician and moulds them into a cohesive bunch, but because they are talented players. I could "manage" them and I bet we would qualify for tournaments with these players. What he doesn't do is improve them in any way. The comparison I would make is Gerrard at Villa compared to Emery at Villa, now imagine what would happen if we actually had a real quality manager of England.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

cant remember who said it here but it was right, put the money aside and the reality is that henderson went to SA because he's not good enough for the PL anymore 

and i'll bang the drum again, id expect southgate to say that henderson is key to the squad because of his experience, we're playing australia in a friendly, we dont need his experience, next month we play malta at home, we dont need his experience, we play north macedonia away in what will more than likely be a dead rubber, we dont need his experience

what we need is fresh blood in central midfield, we need that 3rd starter alongside rice and bellingham, we need better depth on the bench so we can get rid of phillips and henderson...and this clown is naming connor gallagher?

Also kind of frustrating that (I know they don't play the same position, but) if he wants experience, why leave Sterling (who has bags of it) out of the squad, now that he's in form? Would rather have Sterling there than Henderson if an 'old hand' is needed for group-cohesion reasons. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also kind of frustrating that (I know they don't play the same position, but) if he wants experience, why leave Sterling (who has bags of it) out of the squad, now that he's in form? Would rather have Sterling there than Henderson if an 'old hand' is needed for group-cohesion reasons. 

Because everyone is telling him to pick Sterling now so obviously he isn't. Just like everyone was telling him to drop him so naturally he didn't.

I genuinely think he just does the opposite of what people think to prove he's a big man. I bet he's got a tiny todger

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Because everyone is telling him to pick Sterling now so obviously he isn't. Just like everyone was telling him to drop him so naturally he didn't.

I genuinely think he just does the opposite of what people think to prove he's a big man. I bet he's got a tiny todger

I maybe wouldn't go quite that far (though you may be right about his todger :D) and you can't please everyone of course, but I do agree with you that he has a stubborn streak, and perhaps we're currently seeing that with Konsa as well. 

Fairly damning footage here from his Palace days.

Around 15 minutes in, Chris Armstrong sets up Sean Hughes to score a great goal.

Then 5 minutes later, Sean scores another worldly following an assist from Chris Coleman.

We then see Gareth offering Sean the chance of the match ball at about 21:50. But instead he callously throws the ball straight at Hughes’ groin. 

Despicable behaviour.

On 03/10/2023 at 08:07, HongKongVillan said:

and yet to be convince about this Colwill kid. its simply as if he plays for Fulham he would not get a look in.

Colwill is extremely rated by so many in the game, I’ve heard quite a few podcasts with coaches who say he is the best ball playing cb since Rio. Once England u21 won in the summer, he was always going to be promoted to first team. 

• Like 1

I know it's slightly easier for the u21s as they lose players but since the new tournament cycle has started carsley has called up 26 new players, 4 debuts tonight

Southgate is currently at 0

I didn't realise how bad that was until I double checked it, the last debutant in an England shirt was jude Bellingham in November 2020

That's mad

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I know it's slightly easier for the u21s as they lose players but since the new tournament cycle has started carsley has called up 26 new players, 4 debuts tonight

Southgate is currently at 0

I didn't realise how bad that was until I double checked it, the last debutant in an England shirt was jude Bellingham in November 2020

That's mad

Eze made his debut a few games back and a few others. Ollie made his debut in 2021

Just now, Zatman said:

Eze made his debut a few games back and a few others. Ollie made his debut in 2021

That'll teach me for quickly using wiki...

It only listed players with 10 caps

He's called up eze and Toney since the world cup, 3 caps between them

• Like 2

Looks like we might see Watkins or Nketiah start instead of Kane. Not sure why Kane won’t be playing? Southgate will probably start Ollie on the right side of midfield then hook him at half time if he hasn’t scored. 

Sky Sports with the inability to credit players for who they are, only called up because they have “a little bit of Kane about them”! 🤮

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12981537/england-talking-points-the-battle-to-be-harry-kanes-deputy-and-jarrod-bowens-big-chance

In a rare opportunity for someone not called Harry Kane, one of the two forwards will get the chance to lead the line for England in Friday night's friendly with Australia.

Both players have been called up because they have a little bit of Kane about them. Watkins creates more than he scores, while Nketiah's expert skills are shown by scoring twice from just three shots on target.

🍆🤥✊🏻

Â