Gareth Southgate

Richard

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

Imagine England sack Southgate and stick Jose Mourinho in from now till after the WC. It would be incredible.

Not a great long term plan but i’m sure he’d get more out of our attacking riches than this joker we have now.

That plan seems like it would maybe be at odds with the frequently-expressed On Here for all-out attack in matches against tough opponents :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That plan seems like it would maybe be at odds with the frequently-expressed On Here for all-out attack in matches against tough opponents :D

I’m not a subscriber to the Jose is a defensive manager. He did tactically “park the bus” on occasion but generally got more out of attackers than Southgate ever will.

It won’t happen in a million years anyway :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not a subscriber to the Jose is a defensive manager. He did tactically “park the bus” on occasion but generally got more out of attackers than Southgate ever will.

England 2 centre forwards both enjoyed working with him

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I dunno I reckon the pay off when he got sacked would be eye watering and probably more than at Roma, so he might be interested.  Pochettino is the obvious candidate if we want to parachute someone in (which we won't).

He's a complete arsehole.

One thing I hate about managers. People, generally in any work place is stubbornness.  Refusal to change or adapt , being stuck in their ways and the "Well this is how we did it 10 years ago"

...and worse still you highlight it or ask them to adapt, and evolve and change their mindset...and they go the other way. They double down.

Maguire sub last night summed it up. That was a massive **** you to all his "critics"

I can't stand the gutless turd.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a complete arsehole.

One thing I hate about managers. People, generally in any work place is stubbornness.  Refusal to change or adapt , being stuck in their ways and the "Well this is how we did it 10 years ago"

...and worse still you highlight it or ask them to adapt, and evolve and change their mindset...and they go the other way. They double down.

Maguire sub last night summed it up. That was a massive **** you to all his "critics"

I can't stand the gutless turd.

Me neither. Absolute fraud of a manager.

• Like 1

It's getting beyond a joke now. It's not as if we were playing the 1953 version of Hungary last night, but the final score made it look like we had been. He's nothing but a "yes man" that the FA appointed after Big Sam as a "safe" choice. We may have got to a World Cup semi-final and the final of the Euros, but his lack of tactical awareness cost us in both games. He needs to go now before we see another England team limp out of a tournament in November, like the so called "Golden Generation" did. Does he still have the dressing room? It didn't look like it last night. He said he would know when the time was right to go, he clearly doesn't! This England manager did, after losing a home game 0-1 to Germany and not 0-4 to "mighty" Hungary: 

BBC Sport - Football - England manager's job did not suit me - Kevin Keegan Kevin Keegan resigns as England manager - YouTube

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s no coincidence that we’ve lost these games without Mings, he’s the only one who organises the defence. How Southgate can’t see that being a defender himself is alarming 

I think the FA and Southgate don't like Mings because he has an opinion on controversial issues, is articulate and can actually speak about matters other than "yeah, well the gaffer set us up well, and it just didn't go our way tonight, but we'll put it right on the training ground and er yeah thank you to the fans."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Southgate would effectively be walking away from circa £10-12m if he quit

Never going to happen 

Crazy how certain people just get to fail upwards and be paid handsomely for it. Not even qualified for the job, but has been in it for 6 years and made a couple dozen million out of it.

39 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I think the FA and Southgate don't like Mings because he has an opinion on controversial issues, is articulate and can actually speak about matters other than "yeah, well the gaffer set us up well, and it just didn't go our way tonight, but we'll put it right on the training ground and er yeah thank you to the fans."

That and the whole Villa factor 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't like Southgate but he did play a very attacking team last night and look what happened. I think its shown that some of the backup players are just not up to yet. 

It wasn’t an attacking team, it was a mismatched, unbalanced mess with quality on the bench and players who should be nowhere near the 11 out of position on the pitch

Simon Jordan isn't a genius, he's a moderately switched on chap. But him trying to have a sensible discussion with Danny Murphy is like watching a quantum physicist explaining their work to the missing link.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

that's the problem with southgate - naming an attacking team doesn't mean it will attack, he puts the belt and braces on them

2 shots on target, from memory they never looked like scoring, lots of the ball in areas that hungary were happen to let them have it

if you compare attacking intent between the 2 teams hungary were miles ahead, they attacked with purpose, england didnt

id love to see some heat maps from the likes of James playing for chelsea and playing for england, the territory analysis and all that kind of stuff

Â