January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

12 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Alex Bruce will be one of them.  He follows his old man to most clubs.

Nah, he's out with an Achilles injury. Not even back in training yet. If that was going to happen it would have already.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

Seeing an awful lot of comments about what fantastic business we've done, how we've bought players who will be worth zillions, what a great job the board have done etc.

And I would stress fine, if that's how someone feels.

IMO that's why, a little further down the line, there is so much dissappointmdnt and anger directed at the players.

People were by and large very pleased with our summer spending, other than recognising there was more to do, yet very quickly Elphick, Gollini, Jedi, Tish, and McCormack and even Kodja have been often complained about, and their and the others character questioned pretty intensely.

I even remember when we bought Westwood that Crewes fans rated him highly.

As yet we have no real idea how well they will do, or their real levels of ability, and certainly not their 'character'.

So for me, I am pleased the Manager had been backed with what he thinks we need, impressed we've secured what appear to be decent players in the notoriously difficult window, and as most people always excited when new players come.

I will hang fire on the more celebratory stuff and keep my expectations at a low level however until I see how it goes. They are Championship players after all we aren't signing Ronaldo

And will be less likely to knock them later,

Thing is though we have just signed the midfielder with the best stats this season in the league which we are playing in. That would be akin to us signing Lampard or Gerrard in years gone by. In fact Lansbury s stats are right up there too so it's almost the championship equivalent of signing both of them. 

This isn't buying a lower league player or a player with a rep from abroad who you hope might come good in the league we are in. 

When was the last time Villa made proper marquee signing.  I bet the rest of this league are properly sitting up and paying attention right now. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

??????????????^^^^^

We shouldnt be buying to sell for a profit

We should be buying to better the squad

I'm not saying that as such. Just that Hourihane and Bree come highly rated. Even Spurs are a selling club at the right price, I'm gonna leave it at that. 

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Linked with a loan move for Max Gradel. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-target-max-12513580

This would be a top signing and the only player we've been linked with so far I am genuinely excited about except maybe Hourihane to a lesser degree.

Assuming the injury he got didn't destroy him.

Barrow although he has had some good days for Swansea doesn't appeal to me as it is a bad sign that in the middle of a relegation battle they are letting him go while still starting Routledge.

Another striker isn't urgent for me as we will probably be playing 5 in midfield and Ayew can be moved back up front as backup to Kodjia. Gabby will do in an emergency, the midfielders can do the scoring in that scenario.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Hypothetical: Rhodes for Grealish in a straight swap. Would you?

No and this is my reasoning.

Grealish is shit most of the time, but he's a Villa lad so he's our shit.

Rhodes would have to hit the ground running big time as he didn't just cost a player, he cost a Villa fan.

So I wouldn't take the risk even though it's a sensible trade as Grealish has shown very little recently.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

No. I don't think Rhodes will be any better than a prolific championship striker, Grealish can get better. I would take my chances on Grealish improving.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I wouldn't even if they threw £10m on.

Swaps are generally fantasy football, how many ever actually happen? Only ones I can think of are ones to avoid paying a sell on clause.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1