January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah i don't like this keeper deal at all either. Really makes no sense.

At least it shows he is backing Bruce even if eh doesnt believe its a good idea. If its true theres a view to permanent signing for 2 million.. then fair enough. Especially if hes a good keeper. 

• Like 1

Maybe the hope with Johnstone is for us to go up and then sign him permanently? The GK coach is ex Man Utd isn't he? Could he have coached Johnstone at some point and be aware of his potential? 

Just trying to figure out why they'd go for him. 

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't think even with strikers shifted, we need to bring in another striker. Especially one that pushes Kodjia back out of position. 

We will be without Kodjia and Ayew for some weeks now and in their absence I feel we are effectively left with McCormack and Hepburn-Murphy. Even if the Gestede deal does not happen, I would not be confident in relying on Gabby, Kozak and Rudy getting the goals we need to take us into the top 6. Goals have already been in very short supply for us this season and for me we need to sign a striker in this window either on a permanent or a loan deal before we play our next league game.   

Don't forget Gollini had the extra hurdle of being an overseas keeper - where as Johnstone might be a tad more 'ready to go'  - personally Id prefer an experienced keeper - I though Bruce would go for Mcgregor at Hull

2 hours ago, KSV said:

At least it shows he is backing Bruce even if eh doesnt believe its a good idea. If its true theres a view to permanent signing for 2 million.. then fair enough. Especially if hes a good keeper. 

Exactly my thoughts RE: Xia - showing a deference to experience instead of thinking he knows better is a good sign.

2 million suggests that Man U do not rate him at all though - that said, he's not going to displace De Gea any time soon and Bruce might be getting 'mates' rates' from the club.

10 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Johnstone - Loan

Jenkinson - Loan

Hourihane 

Lansbury

Brady 

Rhodes or Hernandez 

Sell Gestede, Ayew, Kozak and Westwood 

Johnstone 

Jenkinson, Chester, Baker, Amavi

Lansbury, Jedi, Hourihane 

Kodjia, Hernandez, Brady 

Gollini, Elphick, Bacuna, Tish, Adomah, McCormack, Gabby 

So, where is Super Jack?

1 hour ago, John said:

We will be without Kodjia and Ayew for some weeks now and in their absence I feel we are effectively left with McCormack and Hepburn-Murphy. Even if the Gestede deal does not happen, I would not be confident in relying on Gabby, Kozak and Rudy getting the goals we need to take us into the top 6. Goals have already been in very short supply for us this season and for me we need to sign a striker in this window either on a permanent or a loan deal before we play our next league game.   

The absolute maximum amount of games we would be without the pair of them now is 5 league games, and even then, the chances are one, if not both, will be back before the end of January. 

This means signing a striker who's good enough to get McCormack out the side for 4 or so games. I just think with Bruce's comments around having too many strikers at the club, to then sign another one for 4 games would be madness. Would show a complete lack of faith in McCormack. 

The only way I think it would work well is if we brought in someone on loan from MLS, like the Keane deal. An experienced head to come in for 8 games or so and hit the ground running, but not upset the squad balance for too long.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

Maybe we could do a straight swap with Forest? Gardner for Lansbury?

You don't give someone a 4 year deal then ship him out a few weeks later.

If we go for Lansbury, he will come in regardless of Gardner being here or not. The midfield picks itself as we are so short on numbers

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No point signing strikers when you have the midfielders that we have.

The reason we don't score is because none of our midfielders are good enough to score or assist. 

In my opinion, Jack Grealish is good enough as is Andre Green, these are the types of player that create

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Jack Grealish is good enough as is Andre Green, these are the types of player that create

The main problem with our midfield is getting the ball to players like Grealish to provide the assists. In too many games this season our midfield has looked lightweight or non existent.

Agree with Green, he could do a job for us on the left wing if we don't sign an experienced left winger this window. But again we need the midfielders in to be able to pass the ball and create chances for Green & Grealish to provide that final ball to the strikers.

• Like 2

I'm not ITK so please don't criticise as I'm just passing on what I've been told but apparently we've been offered a cut price deal to sign Jack Rodwell. Don't know our level  of interest and I'm sure we've been offered a 100 different players already.

I've also heard WHU are in for Ayew. Heard from a football agent who I've been doing some work with. Just thought I'd pass it on 

Edited by thabucks

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Exactly my thoughts RE: Xia - showing a deference to experience instead of thinking he knows better is a good sign.

That's what we all thought when Lerner let MON buy average for tonnes.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Is Rodwell ever fit these days? 

Probably fit for 1 in 10 and since he signed he hasn't been on the winning team in 34 games. Was a class player but that was years ago, should never of joined Citeh. as I said he is probabally one of a hundred we've been offered so nothing in it. Just passing on what I've been told. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

The absolute maximum amount of games we would be without the pair of them now is 5 league games, and even then, the chances are one, if not both, will be back before the end of January. 

This means signing a striker who's good enough to get McCormack out the side for 4 or so games. I just think with Bruce's comments around having too many strikers at the club, to then sign another one for 4 games would be madness. Would show a complete lack of faith in McCormack. 

The only way I think it would work well is if we brought in someone on loan from MLS, like the Keane deal. An experienced head to come in for 8 games or so and hit the ground running, but not upset the squad balance for too long.

I think that Brucie may well agree with you but I think those potential 5 games might decide our season if results go the wrong way through a lack of choice up front in the next few games or due to a lack of cover due to suspension/injury at some point in this season. I like the idea of getting someone in from the MLS but finding a team that are prepared to let a player go out on loan and a player that wants to play games during their break may be more difficult than they were with Robbie. 

So I hope we can agree a loan until the end of the season with a club that has a good young player who needs to get games (is there another Tammy Abraham out there for example?) or bring in a striker to replace Rudy if that deal does happen and a loan cannot be arranged. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

The reason we don't score is because none of our midfielders are good enough to score or assist. 

I agree with the above. Our need to sign a couple of midfield players is even more vital than is our need to add a striker that is why I want us to do both as a minimum during this window.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

Is Rodwell ever fit these days? 

Started against Liverpool. I would have thought that Moyes needed all of the help that he could get but if he wants to offer him to us on loan with a view to buy and the player was agreeable then it might be worth looking at because he once looked to have a lot of potential. I struggle to see it happening though.