January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

I don't think these transfers are quite as simple as some make out. I don't mean because of potential complications with clubs, agents etc I mean finding the right type of player for us. Our team needs character and leaders, not just talented players, and they are hard to find. I'm confident Bruce knows the craic and will hopefully find the right solutions 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd take lansburys left leg over those dopey double act gardwood

After you have taken his leg, he would still be better than those two knuckleheads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Debuchy on loan anyone?

Didn't come off last season, might be worth a try, no idea what kind of form he'd be in after not playing for so long.

I don't think that he was up for coming here last season for a few games in the PL so I would guess he would be even more reluctant to play for us at the likes of Burton, Rotherham and Wigan now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

John Percy tweeted he's our number one target.

He called most of our transfers in summer 2015 so suggests he has a link inside the club.

Where did he tweet it. It's not on his Twitter. Someone faked a tweet to show he tweeted or did he delete it?

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

Where did he tweet it. It's not on his Twitter. Someone faked a tweet to show he tweeted or did he delete it?

This is what I was getting at. There's so many blogs, and ITK's on twitter that rumors take a life of their own that start from someone just dreaming them up. Then rags like the Brum Mail report it because they need clicks.

This is life in a post-truth transfer window!!!

Edited by TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

This is what I was getting at. There's so many blogs, and ITK's on twitter that rumors take a life of their own that start from someone just dreaming them up. Then rags like the Brum Mail report it because they need clicks.

This is life in a post-truth transfer window!!!

Yes, as we've seen with the Brum Mail uncritically reporting an incorrect statistic from the whoscored website without checking it this evening. 

Aston Villa have won the chase to sign Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone on loan with Jose Mourinho recalling Joel Pereira from top-flight Portuguese club Belenenses as cover.

Villa manager Steve Bruce has targeted a new stopper since taking over from Roberto Di Matteo in October.

Mark Bunn replaced Italian Pierluigi Gollini for Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Cardiff that left them 12th in The Championship. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4082780/Aston-Villa-win-race-sign-Manchester-United-goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-loan.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490 

Edited by Kingman

1 hour ago, jim said:

I don't get this signing at all. We have a young in experienced keeper, what we need is someone with experience that can help us out short term and to mentor Gollini.

I'm really not happy with Johnstone coming in at all. Watched him a few times playing for Preston and frankly wasn't that impressed. I know they wanted him back in the summer but only wanted him permanently, whereas he was only willing to join on loan. Had no ambition to move away from United and forge a career for himself.

Since then, he's barely even played in PL2, has signed a contract extension and Dr. Xia responded to a fan saying we would never agree to take a young goalkeeper on loan, specifically Johnstone, when we have our own good young goalkeeper in Gollini who needs to play games. 

Not sure what has changed to make this transfer so widely talked about. 

4 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Johnstone - Loan

Jenkinson - Loan

Hourihane 

Lansbury

Brady 

Rhodes or Hernandez 

Sell Gestede, Ayew, Kozak and Westwood 

Johnstone 

Jenkinson, Chester, Baker, Amavi

Lansbury, Jedi, Hourihane 

Kodjia, Hernandez, Brady 

Gollini, Elphick, Bacuna, Tish, Adomah, McCormack, Gabby 

I don't think even with strikers shifted, we need to bring in another striker. Especially one that pushes Kodjia back out of position. 

I like the look of the suggestions apart from Johnstone in goal, I'd rather go for someone like McGregor at Hull who now isn't playing but was great for them under Bruce in the Championship and hopefully his advice and experience would rub off on Gollini.

Hernandez would have been a good signing, but he's agreed a new long-term deal at Hull recently and they were already asking for a bonkers fee in the summer. 

I like Lansbury a lot and think he's a good option, but I don't think it's likely to happen with all the buzz around him and other interested parties.

It might seem like a lazy link, but I would really like to see us go for Daniel Johnson. He's a very good midfielder for Preston, he's versatile, bags of pace and keeps going till the final whistle. Great left boot on him and gets plenty of goals and assists. Never looked like making it when he was at Villa going out on loan, similar to Robinson there, but regular game time has meant he's flourished. Another player who effortlessly made the step up from league 1 to the championship and he's not got as much attention as Hourihane, so could go a fraction cheaper.