Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't agree with the possession argument per say, but...

...we're currently 19th in the Championship for "most possession".  The teams below us are:
Birmingham - 18th in the league
Preston - 8th in the league
Burton Albion - 19th in the league
Cardiff - 14th in the league
Rotherham - 24th in the league

The top 6 teams in terms of possession?
Fulham - 6th in the league
Reading - 4th in the league
Huddersfield - 3rd in the league
Newcastle - 1st in the league
Sheff Wed - 7th in the league
Norwich - 9th in the league

There's absolutely a link between having more of the ball and doing better over the course of a season.  It's not the be all and end all, it means nothing as an individual statistic (Leicester won the Premier League with the 3rd worst possession stats last season) but it is an indicator of the success a team may have.

I have never once argued that there isn't a correlation. I don't argue with statistics, they speak the truth and only the truth.

All I have proven is that for some teams, having less possession than the opposition over a large sample size seems to work to their advantage. It's also written in the statistics. 

• Like 1

One again though - Steve Bruce's Hull had over 53% last season and were 4th in the league statistically. So how about giving him a bit more time with the squad before we hit the panic button. I'm confident that the aim will be to see more of the ball as we progress.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

One again though - Steve Bruce's Hull had over 53% last season and were 4th in the league statistically. So how about giving him a bit more time with the squad before we hit the panic button. I'm confident that the aim will be to see more of the ball as we progress.

Was just about to say, hopefully it's a process.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

But surely his complaining is part and parcel of getting his points over to the team, it's what he is working on and I guess he lets them know, when they do not follow instructions......thats part of the work in progress element.

We are moaning, when he is already trying to put right the very points some of us are moaning about.

that is tantamount to frustration for all concerned.

Then I guess this also goes for people commenting on the things that we are doing well?

No point talking about or complimenting those things either, because Bruce and the team already know they are doing them well and are and have been working on them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have never once argued that there isn't a correlation. I don't argue with statistics, they speak the truth and only the truth.

All I have proven is that for some teams, having less possession than the opposition over a large sample size seems to work to their advantage. It's also written in the statistics. 

Yeah, for sure.  I also don't equate "good" football with having possession - very different beasts.  From recollection, we had plenty of possession under Lambert but the football was horrific (certainly towards the end).

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, for sure.  I also don't equate "good" football with having possession - very different beasts.  From recollection, we had plenty of possession under Lambert but the football was horrific (certainly towards the end).

Yes, I've been thinking about Lambert's attempts at "possession" football a few times over these last few pages. Also remember when Houllier tried to get us to play a passing game?

In both cases I have never enjoyed watching Villa less. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Totally agree, this is what I was alluding to in an earlier email post. We had many games where we had the ball for most of the game but did bugger all with it then fell for the sucker punch. 

That's the first game I've been to during our revival. Have they all been like this one? Because for 75 minutes that was bloody awful, i can see why a few have still had a moan about the way we've been playing if it's been similar. 

Another win. Can't complain. First we learn how to win, then we will learn how to win in style.

We have been consistently shit for 5 years ffs. The whole club, top to bottom, had a losing mentality. 

Onward we go... together.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's the first game I've been to during our revival. Have they all been like this one? Because for 75 minutes that was bloody awful, i can see why a few have still had a moan about the way we've been playing if it's been similar. 

No that was the worse of the recent games by a long way.

Bruce has certainly got us resilient though, everyone just throwing bodies in the way to stop a goal. It's such a change from what we've been used to the last few years.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes they have pretty much been like that.  If you want thrilling entaitaining football full of skill you need to get yourself down a Premier League game. 

This is The Championship and its a grind, and right now we are grinding out win after win after win after win. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes they have pretty much been like that.  If you want thrilling entaitaining football full of skill you need to get yourself down a Premier League game. 

I am sure you will see games like that every other week down the hawthorns

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

ANSWER:

11 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Another win. Can't complain. First we learn how to win, then we will learn how to win in style.

We have been consistently shit for 5 years ffs. The whole club, top to bottom, had a losing mentality. 

Onward we go... together.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No that was the worse of the recent games by a long way

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes they have pretty much been like that. 

Hmm. You can't both be right.

:detect:

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No that was the worse of the recent games by a long way.

Bruce has certainly got us resilient though, everyone just throwing bodies in the way to stop a goal. It's such a change from what we've been used to the last few years.

Yep, very impressed with the desire and fight. And the back 4 look very solid. 

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes. Its unsustainable but we've established that. ASTONISHINGLY we've only conceded 1 goal in 8 game, however.    

Edited by NottingVilla

Â