Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes they have pretty much been like that.  If you want thrilling entaitaining football full of skill you need to get yourself down a Premier League game. 

This is The Championship and its a grind, and right now we are grinding out win after win after win after win. 

Sorry, this is garbage. Every team in the championship has to play like that to grind a win? 

I don't need thrilling, entertaining football, winning football is enough for me and it was another solid result. 

I don't believe it has to be like this all the time though. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Sorry, this is garbage. Every team in the championship has to play like that to grind a win? 

I don't need thrilling, entertaining football, winning football is enough for me and it was another solid result. 

I don't believe it has to be like this all the time though. 

No, it's not garbage 

Just now, AshVilla said:

Just got back from the game

That was dire

I was waiting for the inevitable sucker punch which didn't arrive

And the sucker punch tends not to arrive these days.

So better than earlier in the season, however "dire" it was in your opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Yes. Its unsustainable but we've established that. ASTONISHINGLY we've only conceded 1 goal in 8 game, however.    

Your posts about Villa/Bruce are so negative it's unreal, I guess some people will never be happy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Hmm. You can't both be right.

:detect:

For me we made more mistakes in possession and gave possession away far too cheaply. Whilst sitting back, the last few games we have created more and retained possession better than we did today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So you have to play like this in the championship?

I disagree. 

Well thank you for having the courtesy to disagree instead of saying my point is garbage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me we made more mistakes in possession and gave possession away far too cheaply. Whilst sitting back, the last few games we have created more and retained possession better than we did today.

I do lean more to the mikeyp102 analysis than to the sidcow view. Think tonight was a surprising step back from recent matches.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Bruce said in his post match interview on WM about 4 times that we need to look after the ball better when in possession. He can clearly see this is a problem. It really is our achilles heel at the moment. 

I actually think it's the only thing stopping us playing very very well and giving someone a kicking. 

We constantly give the ball away when in possession, other than Bruce bought the players he can't really be held accountable for this. I am sure he is not instructing them to pass poorly and it really is a mystery why professional footballers time and time again fail to deliver simple straightforward balls straight to our own players, or like today where we had about 3 gilt edge chances to play someone in, just fail to do so when it's a quite straightforward thing to do. It certainly is holding back our goal tally and a reason why multiple players are not scoring. 

I can't understand why they keep doing it and it's lots of different players. It's almost bizarre. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Yes. Its unsustainable but we've established that. ASTONISHINGLY we've only conceded 1 goal in 8 game, however.    

ASTONISHINGLY we've also won 7 of those 8 games with a goal difference of +11.

Can't wait for us to start playing sustainable football - we will pick up so many extra points. ;)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Bruce said in his post match interview on WM about 4 times that we need to look after the ball better when in possession. He can clearly see this is a problem. It really is our achilles heel at the moment. 

I actually think it's the only thing stopping us playing very very well and giving someone a kicking. 

We constantly give the ball away when in possession, other than Bruce bought the players he can't really be held accountable for this. I am sure he is not instructing them to pass poorly and it really is a mystery why professional footballers time and time again fail to deliver simple straightforward balls straight to our own players, or like today where we had about 3 gilt edge chances to play someone in, just fail to do so when it's a quite straightforward thing to do. It certainly is holding back our goal tally and a reason why multiple players are not scoring. 

I can't understand why they keep doing it and it's lots of different players. It's almost bizarre. 

A minute ago you said we have to play like this because this is the championship. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Agreed.

That was **** hard work, my nerves are shattered. Blame me though, after about 30 minutes I turned to my mate and said "we've clicked". Queue another siege.

We still could have buried the game, still wasted the better chances but my oh my, what a defensive performance that was. Trojans. 

We need to keep the ball better, we're going to have to play better. Bruce knows it, we know it, I'm sure the players know it. But they are battling, they are grinding, we are still in the race. Which is phenomenal considering where we were 6 weeks ago. 

We've nailed the foundations, now go build the mansion.

Up The Villa.

I don't think anyone's disagreed. 

7 wins out of 8 and 7 clean sheets yet people moan about being entertained. It's the championship you have to grind out wins. 

Cant imagine too many sides in this league have kept 7 clean sheets in 8 never mind winning all of those matches. 

• Like 1

Â