Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just jumped in to the thread again, I haven't ready more than 2 or 3 posts on the previous page, but are people actually complaining about the style of football?

I may have got it wrong, so apologies if so. 

There is only one style of football worth playing, and that's a winning style!

I've watched us become far more direct AT THE RIGHT TIMES in recent games. When we break up an attack, our first look is to try and spring Kodija or Adomah...what's wrong with that? I've also seen us knock the ball around the back four and through midfield. This is exactly the same style employed by Martin O'Neil. Our best asset is pace up top, if we aren't gonna exploit it, what's the point? Do people want Kodija to come and show to feet in our half? 

Again, apologies if I've jumped to the wrong conclusions after only reading a handful of posts/replies.

• Like 1

I REALLY REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT STYLE.

I JUST WANT TO WIN EVERY GAME.

(apologies for the shouting, but the constant negative comments are annoying :P )

Once we've won the Premier League and the Champions league 3 times in a row, i might start to be interested in the style of football or possession. Until that point occurs, i'm not interested. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Just jumped in to the thread again, I haven't ready more than 2 or 3 posts on the previous page, but are people actually complaining about the style of football?

[...]

Again, apologies if I've jumped to the wrong conclusions after only reading a handful of posts/replies.

Don't worry, 90% of the post for the last dozen pages have been the same on one side or the other.

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'll have you all know ,I'm made of sterner stuff than Ashley Westwood .

No transfer requests for Sheepy . 

And tbh ,that ship as now sailed .

Good to see Sheepy has a sense of humour :P

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Attractive football is attractive football , its a philosophy some managers like to instill in their sides .

Actually I doubt that's as common as you think. All managers want to win football matches and that's about the sum of it. In order to do so some (e.g. Guardiola) employ a style that you might deem 'attractive' others not so much (e.g. Mourinho). Either way the end result is, generally, the same. The result is king. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Every fan is happy we are winning but it still doesn't stop us judging the performances. We aren't playing good football. Norwich bossed the 2nd half but we got through it being able to do that is a very good quality but we have to start improving with the ball. Bruce puzzles me. He wants to play 2 strikers but the instead of putting a flair player on he puts on Amavi who did well but we had 2 natural left wingers on the bench. Hourihane was getting better and better in CM then he moves him wide and he has a mare. Bree doesn't put a foot wrong but gets dropped for Hutton who only got back in the side at right mid because Gardner got injured. If we play like we have been next season I won't care as long as we win the league but Bryce needs to get us playing better or he won't last long after that. 

Both of those players (presumably Grealish and Green?) were coming back from 3/4 weeks out injured. Amavi is fit and had been playing well, IMO, and had a decent game.

• Like 2

If he is with us long enough, who is to say the eye catching football you crave cannot be achieved?  

This is where I think he'll fail

However, even in our finest hour.......we never achieved that.

Tro, I have to strongly agree with this.

Yes we defended as a whole team and had a solid defence with 2 top class keepers (Rimmer & Spinks). But once we got the ball we didnt fanny around, we didnt hoof, we used pur options to get the ball forward quickly with skill and accuracy.

Bremner was a trojan, Sid was the best passer of a ball ever to wear a Villa shirt. Mortimer marauding through the midfield on those sticky pitches riding tackles was a majestic sight to see, The combination of Morley, Shaw & Withe caused chaos and panik with skill, pace, power & movement.

I always get annoyed that we were put down at the time and labelled as just a bunch of bastards who worked hard. Ipswich were the darlings of the BBC because of their fascination in making Bobby Robson the next Alf Ramsey. They had the romantic foreigners in midfield and Mariner (the David Cassidy look-a-like) as the pinup boys. In truth it was Wark & Brazil (both Scots) who made them tick (both as ugly as Ian Dowie).

We competed with the best at the time and came out winners.

There were only 2 games at that time where we looked 2nd best, In Rotterdam (Bayern were far superior technically) and Juve with Platini running things.

We played good attractive football in a no nonsense manner, hardly surprising on thise pitches.  A nowadays Barca wouldn't have been able to string 3 passes together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Actually I doubt that's as common as you think. All managers want to win football matches and that's about the sum of it. In order to do so some (e.g. Guardiola) employ a style that you might deem 'attractive' others not so much (e.g. Mourinho). Either way the end result is, generally, the same. The result is king. 

I'd go as far as to say I doubt ANY managers employ a style based on attractiveness.

They plan to win. Some do it via so called attractive football because it works for them.

I don't think any managers would employ a style that sacrificed results for entertainment. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd go as far as to say I doubt ANY managers employ a style based on attractiveness.

They plan to win. Some do it via so called attractive football because it works for them.

I don't think any managers would employ a style that sacrificed results for entertainment. 

Of course they don't - they have a job to protect.  It's far more important to them to get results.  Some managers go about it boldly (Klopp) some go about it cautiously (Mourinho), but all of them need results to sustain a job.

It's far different being a fan.  I fully understand those who complain about a lack of entertaining football.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Yes we defended as a whole team and had a solid defence with 2 top class keepers (Rimmer & Spinks). But once we got the ball we didnt fanny around, we didnt hoof, we used pur options to get the ball forward quickly with skill and accuracy.

Bremner was a trojan, Sid was the best passer of a ball ever to wear a Villa shirt. Mortimer marauding through the midfield on those sticky pitches riding tackles was a majestic sight to see, The combination of Morley, Shaw & Withe caused chaos and panik with skill, pace, power & movement.

I always get annoyed that we were put down at the time and labelled as just a bunch of bastards who worked hard. Ipswich were the darlings of the BBC because of their fascination in making Bobby Robson the next Alf Ramsey. They had the romantic foreigners in midfield and Mariner (the David Cassidy look-a-like) as the pinup boys. In truth it was Wark & Brazil (both Scots) who made them tick (both as ugly as Ian Dowie).

There were only 2 games at that time where we looked 2nd best, In Rotterdam (Bayern were far superior technically) and Juve with Platini running things.

We played good attractive football in a no nonsense manner, hardly surprising on thise pitches.  A nowadays Barca wouldn't have been able to string 3 passes together.

And they say we're stuck in past........I don't know what they are on about......it's not like we're comparing our current team to one from 34 years ag.........oh.

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See you in the Man City thread in 5 :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Good to see Sheepy has a sense of humour :P

Trust me ,you need one on VT . It's crazy how worked up some get ,reminiscent of the Alamo, and unfortunately I'm on the American side .

But nice to see you appreciate a sense of humour. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

See you in the Man City thread in 5 :)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll have the middle one ,please .

20 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Every fan is happy we are winning but it still doesn't stop us judging the performances. We aren't playing good football. Norwich bossed the 2nd half but we got through it being able to do that is a very good quality but we have to start improving with the ball. Bruce puzzles me. He wants to play 2 strikers but the instead of putting a flair player on he puts on Amavi who did well but we had 2 natural left wingers on the bench. Hourihane was getting better and better in CM then he moves him wide and he has a mare. Bree doesn't put a foot wrong but gets dropped for Hutton who only got back in the side at right mid because Gardner got injured. If we play like we have been next season I won't care as long as we win the league but Bryce needs to get us playing better or he won't last long after that. 

We aren't playing good football , and surely I'm entitled to be unhappy about that,and only when we start to play in a way that I find pleasing ,only then will my unhappiness start to subside , of course I'm happy when we win ,thats a given ,but do I like the style in which we win ? Not particularly .

So there you are , it is what it is .

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Villa Park was like a fortress in those days . That team played some wonderful two touch football .

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We aren't playing good football , and surely I'm entitled to be unhappy about that,and only when we start to play in a way that I find pleasing ,only then will my unhappiness start to subside , of course I'm happy when we win ,thats a given ,but do I like the style in which we win ? Not particularly .

So there you are , it is what it is .

You are, but you can't really complain when people label that as 'entitlement'. We've been **** shit for 6 years, losing more than we win. Even before that people complained about the style of football under Martin O'Neill.

I understand that people have their favoured philosophies, even if I couldn't really give a damn. However is now the best time to be banging the drum? Can't you put it to the back of your mind for a while, see where we are at in 12 months perhaps? I appreciate that we live in a 'now' culture but I find it a little bit galling to tell the truth. 

Â