Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

7 wins out of 8 and 7 clean sheets yet people moan about being entertained. It's the championship you have to grind out wins. 

Cant imagine too many sides in this league have kept 7 clean sheets in 8 never mind winning all of those matches. 

How many people have moaned about not being entertained?

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Huh? Why have you quoted me then? 

I just don't get the 'jesus this thread' thing from Mantis and yourself. 

I don't see what people have posted that's so outrageous. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get the 'jesus this thread' thing from Mantis and yourself. 

I don't see what people have posted that's so outrageous. 

I didn't say it, I just agreed that it had gone a bit mad. I never said who I did or didn't agree/disagree with, I don't think?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Fascinating.

I thought first half we played really good football going forward, closed down brilliantly, restricted them to zilch, really good performance.

Second half we wilted and they played well - however we defended brilliantly as a team and I'm not sure I remember them having a shot on target.

I have no idea why he didn't replace a clearly shot Amavi and a fading Adomah much earlier, but I was very impressed with how Bruce had us playing first half.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My only complaint about tonight for Bruce is one I've levelled at him before. He's not proactive enough with his subs. 

On 60 minutes we needed a change. Amavi or Bacuna needed to come off and just let someone else come on fresh, put their foot on the ball and calm it all down. 

I think it was 76 minutes until he made a sub. 

Other than that it was fine. He sent the right team out, we played some good stuff first half and second half it was some poor decision making from the players that made us stutter. 

Out of likes but feel the same way.

Hopefully this is something he will develop when he has more of the personnel available, as well as a couple more aditions he has more faith in.

However hes it annoys the crap out of me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Out of likes but feel the same way.

Hopefully this is something he will develop when he has more of the personnel available, as well as a couple more aditions he has more faith in.

However hes it annoys the crap out of me.

Thing is, look at the bench today. 

Hourihane, green, grealish, Hogan to name a few. 

You're not going to get many better benches than that at this level. 

It's pretty much my only criticism of him though at the moment so I'm pretty happy :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sne said:

Then I guess this also goes for people commenting on the things that we are doing well?

No point talking about or complimenting those things either, because Bruce and the team already know they are doing them well and are and have been working on them. 

I guess you're right......but don't let that hold you back......fill your boots, like the complaints.

I'll be watching with interest.

• Like 1

I went tonight and I must say, it was a strange game.I have seen very few Villa teams play like that.....but, another 3 points.

I do not think we will play like this next season.

on the back of such an horrendous season....I still think he believes we have a chance of top 6......albeit a slim one.

I think this is influencing what we are seeing.

I think we are playing like ...to hell with anything else......3 points.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Tired minds and legs make tired decisions. Rushed clearances, poor choice of passes. We could have easily have killed the game off with better choices..but this is the Championship, the games come thick and fast and sometimes you just need to dig in and win ugly. This was one of those times, and can only bode well for next season.

I think this is the key point, fatigue definitely looked to be a factor for me, especially when you consider how the pace of the game slowed after the goal in the first half.

As you say, sometimes you need to put your backs to the wall, fling yourself in front of the ball, and just somehow drag one across the line. That's what happened tonight, and at the end of the day, we still won. 

2 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Yes. Its unsustainable but we've established that. ASTONISHINGLY we've only conceded 1 goal in 8 game, however.    

I can't remember the last Villa team to do that.

" I set us up to be hard to beat".......on the back of 4 wins in 18 months, when we could'nt buy a win.

I think 1 goal conceded in 8 and 6 wins in 7..........is a remarkable turnaround.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Does anyone think Bjarnsson could possibly be a DM and deputise/ be back up to Jedinak?

I know he is supposed to be some sort of midfielder but I am not sure what type.

Seems to slow to be a winger, not skillful enough to be a AM but seems to have enough strength and tenacity to be a DM.

Just  a thought.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Does anyone think Bjarnsson could possibly be a DM and deputise/ be back up to Jedinak?

I know he is supposed to be some sort of midfielder but I am not sure what type.

Seems to slow to be a winger, not skillful enough to be a AM but seems to have enough strength and tenacity to be a DM.

Just  a thought.

Don't think he's that kind of player. My mind goes back to the Brentford game where we got owned in midfield with Conor, Henri and Birkir playing as Jedi was injured and no one was holding DM. We're really lacking someone to stand in for Jedi to give the poor guy a rest/late sub.

1 hour ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Don't think he's that kind of player. My mind goes back to the Brentford game where we got owned in midfield with Conor, Henri and Birkir playing as Jedi was injured and no one was holding DM. We're really lacking someone to stand in for Jedi to give the poor guy a rest/late sub.

I think that would be Tish however him not getting a game at forest doesn't bode well for him

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

A minute ago you said we have to play like this because this is the championship. 

Please point out where I said we had to give the ball away a lot? 

I said we were grinding our results which we are. 

7 hours ago, Dirtysanchez said:

7 wins out of 8 and 7 clean sheets yet people moan about being entertained. It's the championship you have to grind out wins. 

Cant imagine too many sides in this league have kept 7 clean sheets in 8 never mind winning all of those matches. 

Complaining/worrying about the style of football has absolutely **** all to do with results. Why can't people see this? 7 wins in 8 is a great run. It doesn't mean that we're playing well necessarily. This stuff about the Championship being some hard league where you "grind out wins" is nonsense too. So many teams play lovely football and win in style.

I don't even understand your second point. Several teams have won more games than us. Or do you mean they haven't been on the same run? Does that also apply to our 0 wins in 9 run?

• Like 2

Â