Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'd imagine they're asking themselves that .

The year that we last won the league......most fans were saying Ipswich was the better team.

We won the league and the European cup the next season.They didn't.

They beat us 3 times in that league winning season, but we won the league.

Shankly said " any team that wins 24 games in a season deserves to win the league".......thats the stats that matter.

We are doing it the right way around, Steve is building and we need to support him.

have faith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Ok, so we're playing attractive football but losing 5-4 every week or we're doing what we're doing now and playing disciplined stuff and winning regularly, which would you rather? 

Id go with winning football all the time, thats a concept that all the 'big clubs' adhere to too. Try and get your 'swede' round that, pal.

I'll have the attractive football ,and winning , please .

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm sure everyone would, but if it was that easy then surely every team in the world of football would be doing it. So, is winning not enough for you? Can't you be happy that we're winning?

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm sure everyone would, but if it was that easy then surely every team in the world of football would be doing it. So, is winning not enough for you? Can't you be happy that we're winning?

Where did I say I wasn't happy with us winning ? I wasn't happy with the 30% possesion , and ,last time I checked, I'm allowed to be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Every fan is happy we are winning but it still doesn't stop us judging the performances. We aren't playing good football. Norwich bossed the 2nd half but we got through it being able to do that is a very good quality but we have to start improving with the ball. Bruce puzzles me. He wants to play 2 strikers but the instead of putting a flair player on he puts on Amavi who did well but we had 2 natural left wingers on the bench. Hourihane was getting better and better in CM then he moves him wide and he has a mare. Bree doesn't put a foot wrong but gets dropped for Hutton who only got back in the side at right mid because Gardner got injured. If we play like we have been next season I won't care as long as we win the league but Bryce needs to get us playing better or he won't last long after that. 

45 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's the finished article......we haven't got there yet.

surprisingly, because he has been with us ages , hasn't he.?

;)

28 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Every fan is happy we are winning but it still doesn't stop us judging the performances. We aren't playing good football. Norwich bossed the 2nd half but we got through it being able to do that is a very good quality but we have to start improving with the ball. Bruce puzzles me. He wants to play 2 strikers but the instead of putting a flair player on he puts on Amavi who did well but we had 2 natural left wingers on the bench. Hourihane was getting better and better in CM then he moves him wide and he has a mare. Bree doesn't put a foot wrong but gets dropped for Hutton who only got back in the side at right mid because Gardner got injured. If we play like we have been next season I won't care as long as we win the league but Bryce needs to get us playing better or he won't last long after that. 

If we had of passed them to death and had more corners etc, etc.

but still won 2-0

would you have been happier?

I guess you would, but to what end.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think you also have to consider though how long those teams have been together, how much those players know each others game.  We replaced almost a whole team in the summer and a new half a team in January. I don't think you can underestimate how difficult it is to evolve a team. It's not just about buying 11 players who are better than most other players in their league and expecting instant success and psychic understanding between them all. 

Case in point yesterday when Adomah played it inside to Kodjia who played a brilliant one two down the line which would have set. Adomah free in acres of space...... Except Adomah had instead run inside also. 

Stats will say misplaced pass, not near miss on an opportunity to split the opposition wide open. 

Hopefully as time goes by they will get more used to where each other are likely to go. 

I probably haven't made my point clear. 

Our current lack of possession is not a criticism of Bruce and of course there's lots of variables to also consider. 

I was just disagreeing with the idea that there's no correlation between possession and winning.

I would imagine we will control games more next year. It's something that will come as the team grows.  

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 22:28, JE- said:

So now we're on such a great run , the attractiveness of the football is suddenly an issue ! If we get to the playoffs it,' ll be why didn't we get automatic promotion ! Then it'll be Bruce isn't good enough to keep us in the premier , or push for a European place !!                            After years of awful results ,we're winning again and the rest will hopefully follow . Luckily our owner wasn't as trigger happy as some of our "enlightened " fans would have liked him to be , and thrown us on the managerial merry go round again a couple of months ago .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That's the finished article......we haven't got there yet.

surprisingly, because he has been with us ages , hasn't he.?

;)

If my memory serves me correct ,I don't recall Arsene Wenger having to take his time for Arsenal to play attractive football ,and that was with a side who had previously played very direct . If that's how a manager wants his team to play ,that's how they play. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Lets not create the myth that were going to ever be playing good football under Bruce.

He could be with us 3 - 5 years and we will still be playing the same turgid stuff as seen at any club he's ever managed.

If he gets us up then he's succeeded in what we brought him in for and i'll applaud him for that.

But if the Dr is serious in his plans to make us a top club in the prem and a force he will need to be replaced by someone more tactically astute because grinding out results in the prem won't be good enough.

May seem harsh but business is business.

You could well be right.....but as equally wrong.

The thing that is in correlation with all the clubs he has managed is circumstances that got him the jobs in the first place.....He has always come in to rescue.....Hardly a platform to perform silky skills.

If he is with us long enough, who is to say the eye catching football you crave cannot be achieved?

However, even in our finest hour.......we never achieved that.

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If my memory serves me correct ,I don't recall Arsene Wenger having to take his time for Arsenal to play attractive football ,and that was with a side who had previously played very direct . If that's how a manager wants his team to play ,that's how they play. 

Arsenal after Bruce Ricoh had the luxury of Dennis Bergkamp in their line up and a back four left by George Graham.....Hardly a comparison to the platform Steve Bruce has had to work from.

;)

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Comparing the Arsenal Wenger took over with the Villa ,Bruce took over????? Words really do fail me ! 

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Arsenal are not playing today, like the team with Viera & Petit and the famous back four of Adams, Bould,Winterburn & Dixon.

so I disagree.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Arsenal after Bruce Ricoh had the luxury of Dennis Bergkamp in their line up and a back four left by George Graham.....Hardly a comparison to the platform Steve Bruce has had to work from.

;)

So without Bergkamp , Arsene would of had them playing in the same manner has George Graham's Arsenal ?

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So without Bergkamp , Arsene would of had them playing in the same manner has George Graham's Arsenal ?

arsene has managed Arsenal for a generation......Steve Bruce hasn't completed a season with us;)

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, bretonvilla said:

Comparing the Arsenal Wenger took over with the Villa ,Bruce took over????? Words really do fail me ! 

Attractive football is attractive football , its a philosophy some managers like to instill in their sides .

Â