Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, TRO said:

There will come a time when that will be an important feature of our play.....important to stay in touch with our competitors.....but not yet, we have the important priority of winning and staying hard to beat.

that important feature you mention will come with progress and rehabilitation of the side.

I haven't heard that before . We're only Aston Villa, the biggest team in the league. 

6 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

3 points. The most important stat. 

Don't be silly. Clearly possession stats are the most important. The teams with the highest possession stats always win the games. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I haven't heard that before . We're only Aston Villa, the biggest team in the league. 

We are the biggest team in the league but that doesn't mean we have a divine right to boss every game. The most important thing is the result. Pointless possession is irrelevant. Under Lambert, towards the end, we were just aimlessly passing the ball around with no idea or penetration. That's no good to anyone. 

Lets look at Newcastle, going to get promoted. 35% possession at home to Fulham (lost). 30% possession away to Reading (drew). 24% possession away at Huddersfield (won). 65% possession away at small heath (drew). 64% possession at home at Bristol City (drew). 49% possession at home to Derby (won). There is no real correlation between possession and winning games IMO

• Like 4

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Norwich can play attractive football ,and having spent nothing in comparison to us, then what's out excuse ?

I just cannot get my head round this at all. We've just beaten them no?!? We are 3 points behind them no? I'd say, looking at the corresponding fixtures, that we have a good chance of finishing above them no? So, if you wanna play like Norwich and lose games then I'm happy for you. I'll choose the winning way of playing games thanks, which we've done 6 out the last 7 times. 

• Like 3

Possession doesn't even mean it's good to watch. Norwich were a total snoozefest yesterday. They played the exact same passes, got in to the exact same possessions and did nothing over and over. 

I'd much rather have less possession and counter attack the way we did and bring the ball forward at pace. We have Kodjia, Amavi, Adomah, Hutton who regularly beat players and got people off their seats. Norwich did it maybe once. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

We are the biggest team in the league but that doesn't mean we have a divine right to boss every game. The most important thing is the result. Pointless possession is irrelevant. Under Lambert, towards the end, we were just aimlessly passing the ball around with no idea or penetration. That's no good to anyone. 

Lets look at Newcastle, going to get promoted. 35% possession at home to Fulham (lost). 30% possession away to Reading (drew). 24% possession away at Huddersfield (won). 65% possession away at small heath (drew). 64% possession at home at Bristol City (drew). 49% possession at home to Derby (won). There is no real correlation between possession and winning games IMO

We don't boss hardly any game ,and for the biggest team in the league , fma , that is embarrassing. 

25 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I just cannot get my head round this at all. We've just beaten them no?!? We are 3 points behind them no? I'd say, looking at the corresponding fixtures, that we have a good chance of finishing above them no? So, if you wanna play like Norwich and lose games then I'm happy for you. I'll choose the winning way of playing games thanks, which we've done 6 out the last 7 times. 

I happen to enjoy attractive football , a concept that most big clubs adhere to , so try and get your swede round that .

8 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

Doing such a good job we are back to complaining about possession stats. Keep it up and we'll be complaining about concourse paint jobs and the like again before you know it.

What filling the pies should have. Its very important.

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We don't boss hardly any game ,and for the biggest team in the league , fma , that is embarrassing. 

I don't see what size has to do with it?

The best football is winning football and that's what we are doing... we may have less possession but have kept clean sheets in 6 of 7 games. So the opponents possession is obviously in areas where its not hurting us. 

I'm sure once the team gets to know each other better and new players are added, it will happen, buts it not a major issue at the minute IMO.

Just strikes me as finding something to moan at despite the fact we are winning. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

Let me start by saying I was completely wrong to want Bruce out. He clearly deserves next season and is doing a good job. 

But i disagree with the rest of the post. There are 10 teams in the championship who average 50% or more possession. 9 of them are currently in the top 10. The top 4 average possession teams are all currently in the top 6 of the league. 

Last year, the top 6 included only 1 team who averaged less than 50% possession a game. 

I don't think it's the only thing that matters but quite clearly possession seems to correlate with winning games. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I happen to enjoy attractive football , a concept that most big clubs adhere to , so try and get your swede round that .

Does it really matter at the moment? Let's learn to walk before we can run. We are not arsenal or Liverpool or any other of the giants in English football but we could be one day. If tony is serious about taking us to the top or there or there abouts  then that standard of play will come with the certain type of players we will need to get and stay there. Reality is we will be in the championship again next season but imo we should piss it next season. I think you will see a difference next year.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Let me start by saying I was completely wrong to want Bruce out. He clearly deserves next season and is doing a good job. 

But i disagree with the rest of the post. There are 10 teams in the championship who average 50% or more possession. 9 of them are currently in the top 10. The top 4 average possession teams are all currently in the top 6 of the league. 

Last year, the top 6 included only 1 team who averaged less than 50% possession a game. 

I don't think it's the only thing that matters but quite clearly possession seems to correlate with winning games. 

Thank you Jonah, my self _ esteem has been restored .:)

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its all much of a muchness though isn't it? We're 3% behind Brighton, who are generally considered to be one of the best footballing teams in the league. 2% behind Leeds. Not bad considering the sheer turnover of players we have had. 

The most important statistic is the final score and currently we are winning games. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its all much of a muchness though isn't it? We're 3% behind Brighton, who are generally considered to be one of the best footballing teams in the league. 2% behind Leeds. Not bad considering the sheer turnover of players we have had. 

The most important statistic is the final score and currently we are winning games. 

Oh, I agree. Winning is the only thing that counts. I don't care what our possession is as long as we're promoted next year. 

But it does seem to give you more chance of success judging by the teams that finish in those top 6 spots. 

At the end of the day though there is only one statistic that really matters 

• Like 1

This discussion about possession stats is more or less pointless, but since it's live, let me just throw in some stats about Leicester's premier league winning season: 18th in terms of possession and lowest pass success rate of all. Also third highest long ball pass rate. 

Hope their fans weren't too embarrassed. ;)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This discussion about possession stats is more or less pointless, but since it's live, let me just throw in some stats about Leicester's premier league winning season: 18th in terms of possession and lowest pass success rate of all. Also third highest long ball pass rate. 

Hope their fans weren't too embarrassed. ;)

But everyone acknowledges that Leicester winning the league is not the norm. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ok, so we're playing attractive football but losing 5-4 every week or we're doing what we're doing now and playing disciplined stuff and winning regularly, which would you rather? 

Id go with winning football all the time, thats a concept that all the 'big clubs' adhere to too. Try and get your 'swede' round that, pal.

Exactly. We played better football under RDM- and won 1 game in 10. I'd rather have the points myself.  Regardless of how much possession Villa did/ did not have, the shape is so much better. They look a lot more organised and that must be a bit down to Bruce. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think you also have to consider though how long those teams have been together, how much those players know each others game.  We replaced almost a whole team in the summer and a new half a team in January. I don't think you can underestimate how difficult it is to evolve a team. It's not just about buying 11 players who are better than most other players in their league and expecting instant success and psychic understanding between them all. 

Case in point yesterday when Adomah played it inside to Kodjia who played a brilliant one two down the line which would have set. Adomah free in acres of space...... Except Adomah had instead run inside also. 

Stats will say misplaced pass, not near miss on an opportunity to split the opposition wide open. 

Hopefully as time goes by they will get more used to where each other are likely to go. 

• Like 1

Â