Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, AJ said:

Steve seems like a nice guy, he holds Villa in high regard, and has us winning again. Is there anything more we can ask for in a manager?

He could look as cool as the Hull manager and have Liam Daish's beard. That'd be great. 

37 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Stats, shmats. 

Defensive structure and soaking up play and countering is as much football as any other and counter attacking has been a Villa way since O'Neil and maybe before with Little and Gregory going for 3-5-2's. 

Possession counts for shit if you do little with it. Modern football is boring with teams bossing possession but doing little triangle passes and 10 yard back and to passes from CB to holding midfielder which may look great stats wise but do sod all in terms of opening up a defence. 

I agree to an extent. If we could lift our possession stats to high 40s low 50s.. and our passing percentage was closer to 80 like the top sides.. then we will probably get promoted.. 

Imagine what we could do in the final third if we had more of the ball! A win is a win though. I just hope theres more performances like the first of Preston to come next season. 

10 minutes ago, KSV said:

I agree to an extent. If we could lift our possession stats to high 40s low 50s.. and our passing percentage was closer to 80 like the top sides.. then we will probably get promoted.. 

Imagine what we could do in the final third if we had more of the ball! A win is a win though. I just hope theres more performances like the first of Preston to come next season. 

I hear ya, winning and a more progressive playing style. That would be the ultimate. 

It's trying to find a balance because the more expansive we get then the sooner the clean sheets will soon drop. 

Utd are probably the thing to aim at as they are crushing teams in terms of chances, possession and sheets but they can't seem to score, they have the right balance minus goals if Ibra isn't there. 

I'm all down for trying to improve all facets but at the same time, we need to respect what we are doing at present. If leagues and cups were won on stats, every league would look hugely different. 

If we're in a set up right, 70% possession means very little. It's how many chances you create with the possession you have that counts. Should our possession rise then I would wager so would the more chances the opposition have, despite them having less of the ball. 

According to that interview, when he was asked the question which player from Villa's past would he sign today, he mentioned Stan P as a former great player.

Considering that he brought Gabby from the outer back in, and Samba is training with us, if Steve was in charge at the start of the season, would things have been different and would he have given Stan a one year contract?

I am thinking yes.

Here's a thought, we always used to struggle to score (still do). I think Bruce has recognised our team struggles to break teams down in open play, and has adjusted accordingly. By frustrating the other team and inviting their midfield onto us it gives adomah and kodija so much space for the ball to be played quickly for them to run onto....it's how we scored both goals today. I think you'd nullify kodjia and adomah if you set up in a more possesion-based format as they have to beat 2 men rather than 1 to fashion any threatening space. Great management imo.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Here's a thought, we always used to struggle to score (still do). I think Bruce has recognised our team struggles to break teams down in open play, and has adjusted accordingly. By frustrating the other team and inviting their midfield onto us it gives adomah and kodija so much space for the ball to be played quickly for them to run onto....it's how we scored both goals today. I think you'd nullify kodjia and adomah if you set up in a more possesion-based format as they have to beat 2 men rather than 1 to fashion any threatening space. Great management imo.

I don't think it's about struggling to break teams down, more about not hitting the target as often as we should when in on goal.

5 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

Doing such a good job we are back to complaining about possession stats. Keep it up and we'll be complaining about concourse paint jobs and the like again before you know it.

Well yes, I saw some concourse paint yesterday which rather faded AND extremely scuffed in some places.  Booo, Bruce out. 

It's true some people just want to moan regardless of the reality of what's going on around them. 

There was a boggies fan came onto WM yesterday moaning about their performance and hoping that they buy some better players in the summer so they can start to play some more expansive football. 

West Bromwich Albion, West Bromwich bloody Albion are 8th in the PL and getting points at Old Trafford and the stupid clod hopping gumbag somehow feels this in unacceptable to him. 

Honestly to hear him talking you would have thought they had just been sent into the relegation zone having lost 8-0 at home to Blunderland. 

• Like 1

bruce isn't playing the prettiest of football at the minute but its proving very effective and this is a club that has been in massive decline since O'Neil left. I think this is where the likes of di Matteo failed, he came in and straight away tried to get us to play pretty football that we weren't ready for. It's a bit like di matteo just used us as a quickie didn't really care about how they felt or what was wrong deep down but Bruce seems to want a proper relationship with us he has invested time in what is wrong with us, built our confidence up made us stronger and more resilient and soon Bruce will get the same that di matteo had only it will last a lot longer and will see us become a very good team again. But we need to be patient and allow the relationship to grow into something we haven't seen for a long time and I really believe Bruce will get there.

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Stats, shmats. 

Defensive structure and soaking up play and countering is as much football as any other and counter attacking has been a Villa way since O'Neil and maybe before with Little and Gregory going for 3-5-2's. 

Possession counts for shit if you do little with it. Modern football is boring with teams bossing possession but doing little triangle passes and 10 yard back and to passes from CB to holding midfielder which may look great stats wise but do sod all in terms of opening up a defence. 

Yup, I think people are forgetting some of the games in the previous 2 seasons where we had loads of the ball happily spraying it around looking like we were bossing the game only to concede the first time anyone got near our goal and then failing to put any incisive attack together ourselves, just aimlessly passing the ball backwards and sideways till the whistle brought a other defeat our way on the back of a healthy possession stat. 

10 hours ago, AJ said:

I wont.

I just want to remind people that binning winning is sinning. :P

And those choosing losing are just fooling. 

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And those choosing losing are just fooling. 

Choose life.

Choose a losing football team. Choose having something to be miserable about, when everything else in life is going well. Choose a loss, because it makes you happy that you have found something to be unhappy about. Choose negatives, because it makes you feel smarter than those that focus on positives. Choose pessimism, because if you are right, you are a better person, and if you are wrong, then the world is a better place, but don't just admit it. Choose dumping a manager at the first sign of trouble, because 100% is the only standard acceptable at your club. Choose the next manager.

But above all choose life. Choose the meaning of life.

Choose Aston Villa. The meaning of life.

Edited by AJ

11 hours ago, TRO said:

If Norwich can play attractive football and win the possession stats, win more corners and win the plaudits for being the best team on the day.

If they were in control of all that......

why didn't they win?

I'd imagine they're asking themselves that .

Â