Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Here's one , apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere.

First time since 1983.......1-9-8-3 !!! that we've won four in a row at home without conceding.

At last a good record rather than all the rubbish ones we've been breaking.

I really think anyone looking at possession stats is spectacularly  missing the point !!

I don't think it has been mentioned but by golly if anyone has the audacity to come on here quoting we are crap really stats I think that is one hell of a stat to throw back. 

I was 13 years old then and most people would consider me an old beersteward now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

When we went through that period where we was conceding in the last ten minutes of  every game.....the style of football was not bad.

I was beside myself......with that benevolent style of weak Lilly livered offering.

We have just presided over some of the worst footballing periods of the history of this club.

did you think the repair job was like "switching on a light switch"    just buys some players and Bingo.

What SB walked in to and what we have now in relation is remarkable......We have a long way to go......but Hemorrhaging has stopped.

Its a big job, mate

Patience, is a virtue.

After 6 years of shizzle and being stuck in reverse, someone had to first, put on the brakes, then secondly put the club back into first gear. Bruce is doing exactly that

Really though, the job has been harder than driving a car, rather more like turning round an oil tanker.

But at least now it's turning.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AJ said:

If we continued our early year form, Bruce's position would and should have been untenable. I am so glad that is not the case. He has shown this isn't his first rodeo, got us winning again, and has given us momentum for the rest of the year, and hopefully at the start of next season.

Steve seems like a nice guy, he holds Villa in high regard, and has us winning again. Is there anything more we can ask for in a manager?

Yes , an ability to keep possession of the ball. 

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

I've had a dim view of some of his tactics but there was nothing anti football about today.

Norwich play 'attractive' football going forward, that's that. Nothing we did would alter that.

In turn, we handled that, got forward well, and scored twice .

And I don't really go for this ' Kodja dependence' idea. Firstly Hogan also looked dangerous. 

I think unlike in January we now have other players getting forward and they could easily have contributed today.

Secondly you could say the same about Van  Nistleroy, Henry, Fowler, etc....any team that has a good goal scorer becomes dependent to some extent. 

There are very few teams that have goals throughout the team.

If Norwich can play attractive football ,and having spent nothing in comparison to us, then what's out excuse ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

There will come a time when that will be an important feature of our play.....important to stay in touch with our competitors.....but not yet, we have the important priority of winning and staying hard to beat.

that important feature you mention will come with progress and rehabilitation of the side.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Norwich can play attractive football ,and having spent nothing in comparison to us, then what's out excuse ?

If Norwich can play attractive football and win the possession stats, win more corners and win the plaudits for being the best team on the day.

If they were in control of all that......

why didn't they win?

• Like 3

In 25 years I've never left VP upset after winning a game. 

How do you build a stat around that?

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Who cares - they lost and we won .

weve won 6 in 7 and conceded one goal in 7 - enjoy the ride mate - there have been plenty of lows in recent years - enjoy it !

• Like 4

We're on a ridiculously hot streak right now. 6 wins in 7 (with 6 clean sheets as well), this coming so soon after losing 7 out of 8. Obviously we're not perfect and there are still many ways in which we could improve but you really can't argue with the results.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Obsession with possession is a sure thing for depression.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Don't get starting an oppression:)

I wont.

I just want to remind people that binning winning is sinning. :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

I wont.

I just want to remind people that binning winning is sinning. :P

Are you kidding:) or been on the gin ning.

8 hours ago, sne said:

30% possession

Below 60% passing accuracy.

80 :o clearances!

Still winning 2-0.

Odd game football is.

It is pretty much anti-football, but it's working so...

Stats, shmats. 

Defensive structure and soaking up play and countering is as much football as any other and counter attacking has been a Villa way since O'Neil and maybe before with Little and Gregory going for 3-5-2's. 

Possession counts for shit if you do little with it. Modern football is boring with teams bossing possession but doing little triangle passes and 10 yard back and to passes from CB to holding midfielder which may look great stats wise but do sod all in terms of opening up a defence. 

• Like 2

Â