Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I guess you said say we were unlucky tonight, but when the same things keep happening is it just down to luck?

Consistently struggle to score, regularly switching off at set pieces and failing to close down shots and crosses, always throwing the towel in as soon as we go behind.

When those things keep happening, i think you have to look at the manager. 

I'm worried that we are going to see the same thing we did pre-xmas: play poorly but scrape some wins against either shit teams (Rotheram) or teams in woeful form (Derby and Bristol), but as soon as we come up against a decent team its back to square one.

It sounds like we had the better of the 1st half, but yet again the opposition manager has made an adjustment that Bruce has failed to counter.

• Like 2

Need more games with the same formation and players , it will come good . Hundersfield are one of the best teams in the league, we should have had more with the chances we had and lack of concentration cost us a goal. 

So is it all Bruce's fault the players didn't take the chances and put the game to bed in the first half? 

We matched them tonight and despite what some of this place think, Huddersfield are a good side. Stop being so wasteful and it's another 3 points. 

• Like 2

Coulda shoulda doesn't cut it though. Derby battered us and should've had a penalty. Bruce is the manager and has to find a way to get goals out of other players because we are a team relying heavily on one man to score right now and without him we'd be relegated this season. 

I just want this season to end, but then I remember that Bruce will be here next season too, so, know I just want next season to end too. Most depressing season ever IMO, last season I could at least watch us fail and we were loosing to decent teams. such depressing stuff. Wish we could at least try to entertain. (as is becoming a habit, did not see tonight's game, so my judgement is not based on this game) 

What I find the most depressing, is Villa fans accepting loosing to Huddersfield and celebrating that Birmingham lost. If we finish in front of Birmingham this season, it is not because we have done well, but simply, that they have somehow been even worse. Not worth celebrating IMO. 

• Like 2

We don't have a consistent finisher (maybe Hogan could be that player?). 

Kodja needs at least half a dozen good chances to score and our midfield can chip in but we can't rely on them for consistent goals. 

It will need to be addressed before next season starts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

So is it all Bruce's fault the players didn't take the chances and put the game to bed in the first half? 

We matched them tonight and despite what some of this place think, Huddersfield are a good side. Stop being so wasteful and it's another 3 points. 

Kept pressing X instead of O or Square:ph34r:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I see so many people say we can't defend. It's just not true is it?

We have one of the best defensive records in the league.

I thought it was blindingly obvious that our problem is we don't put the ball into the net at the other end nearly enough. Sounds like tonight was another perfect example of that.

Football fans' excuse lottery.

Edited by a m ole

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We don't have a consistent finisher (maybe Hogan could be that player?). 

Kodja needs at least half a dozen good chances to score and our midfield can chip in but we can't rely on them for consistent goals. 

It will need to be addressed before next season starts. 

That's unfair on Kodjia. He's scored goals out of nothing at times. 

Bruce let Gestede, Ayew and McCormack go in January and replaced them with one forward. We needed another addition as our only other striker options were Kozak (always injured), Gabby (always out of shape or just goal shy) and Hepburn-Murphy (inexperienced and stalling on a new deal). Rhodes was possible on loan and should have been brought in to 1) Add to our attacking options and 2) Keep the first team strikers up to their game. 

I think there's literally no point in arguing with some people based on comments in the match thread. If beating 2 of the worst teams in the division coupled with horrific possession and pass completion stats is the way forward we'll never agree on football

• Like 3

Didn't see the game, but Huddersfield twitter said we had the better of the chances, so sounds like this one isn't on Bruce.

For me the manager's job is really 3 key parts. First one is setting your team up to create chances. From the sounds of it, we did exactly that again and you can't really fault Bruce for players not executing in the final third for me. Next, you need to balance that with being tight at the back. Again, it sounds like we did that today. the final thing is if things aren't working, using your subs to impact the game in a positive way. He really had no subs today, a bunch of kids and half fit players on the bench.

I'd like to see us win more games, I'd also like more attractive football. I don't know if we'll ever get the latter under Bruce, but we'll definitely get the wins under him IMO. It's not solely down to Bruce either, if we create good chances in how we've been set up, but we miss them, I can't put that on the manager.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Not sure what Bruce can do. I mean if they dont score they don't score. It's not like we are not getting opportunities. I am baffled as to why we can't stick it the onion  bag. Sounded like we did okay today. 

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not sure what Bruce can do. I mean if they dont score they don't score. It's not like we are not getting opportunities. I am baffled as to why we can't stick it the onion  bag. Sounded like we did okay today. 

Problem is okay just isn't good enough for where we are, and it sure as hell isn't good enough for where we want to be.

Â