Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that's the problem the Newcastle fans will have

what is "do good"??

under rafa do good was a few more signings bit of luck and hopefully push on in to the wolves / everton / Leicester mini league - under bruce do good is stay up

they are rightfully **** fuming, if he scrapes 17th it will be seen as an achievement and lauded by his mates in the press when in reality they've dropped 3 places from last season, he wont progress them, he'll do just enough to avoid the flush and the fans will be told to celebrate

Last season, do good for Rafa was staying up. Even with a worse squad, this is the aim for Bruce as well. Let's not pretend otherwise.

3 minutes ago, momo said:

Last season, do good for Rafa was staying up. Even with a worse squad, this is the aim for Bruce as well. Let's not pretend otherwise.

you think Newcastle are happy with "just stay up" ? because I think they're not, the appointment of bruce slaps it in their face too, with rafa the belief was there that they could go on to do better things (even if that wasn't his remit) 

spin it to a villa perspective, if we spend the next 2 years finishing 15th with smith, his contract expires and we appoint pulis because our owners just want to stay up would we be happy? of course we wouldn't 

staying up is an achievement that's been drilled in to fans thanks to sky and the TV money, first year and second year you can get away with it, third year and beyond what's the point of your football club and you investing thousands a year in to it if that's all they want? I would be properly disillusioned with football right now if I was a Geordie, much like I was when we appointed Bruce and I gave my season ticket away

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you think Newcastle are happy with "just stay up" ? because I think they're not, the appointment of bruce slaps it in their face too, with rafa the belief was there that they could go on to do better things (even if that wasn't his remit) 

spin it to a villa perspective, if we spend the next 2 years finishing 15th with smith, his contract expires and we appoint pulis because our owners just want to stay up would we be happy? of course we wouldn't 

staying up is an achievement that's been drilled in to fans thanks to sky and the TV money, first year and second year you can get away with it, third year and beyond what's the point of your football club and you investing thousands a year in to it if that's all they want? I would be properly disillusioned with football right now if I was a Geordie, much like I was when we appointed Bruce and I gave my season ticket away

I don't care what the fans want. This is what the owner wants. He is not investing at all in the club, and the fans either has to accept that or stop financially supporting the team. Bruce will do much better than you think.

Edited by momo

2 minutes ago, momo said:

I don't care what the fans want. This is what the owner wants. He is not investing at all in the club, and the fans either has to accept that or stop financially supporting the team. Bruce will do much better than you think.

he'll finish bottom half but stay up whilst playing some insipid football but getting 2 or 3 headline grabbing results 

that to me is the apathy inducing death of a football club

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, momo said:

I think they will be 20th since Rafa left. 18th be an upgrade 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Depending on the owner sometimes the fans and the owners want different things, if you have a proper ambitious owner then they will want what the fans want, but a lot of owners these days are like what Lerner was like 17th will do because of the TV Money.

By appointing Bruce Mike Ashley imo comes into the 2nd criteria of owner doesn't matter where they finish as long as it isn't lower than 17th.

Edited by Stuartc445

13 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Depending on the owner sometimes the fans and the owners want different things, if you have a proper ambitious owner then they will want what the fans want, but a lot of owners these days are like what Lerner was like 17th will do because of the TV Money.

By appointing Bruce Mike Ashley imo comes into the 2nd criteria of owner doesn't matter where they finish as long as it isn't lower than 17th.

Ashley does not want to be there. He is desperate to sell the club. So just like Lerner he will invest the bare minimum he can get away with to try and stay up each year. 

It’s a shit situation for fans but good for clubs like us to have Newcastle in the mix for relegation.

I liked the part where Rafa took over with them in the bottom 3 on goal difference, failed to beat Sunderland at home, then finished 2 points below Sunderland and got relegated failing to beat one of the worst Premier League sides ever at Villa park. 44 and 45 point finishes in the Premier League. And he's some sort of LegendGod.

I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see Bruce top 45 points.

10 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I liked the part where Rafa took over with them in the bottom 3 on goal difference, failed to beat Sunderland at home, then finished 2 points below Sunderland and got relegated failing to beat one of the worst Premier League sides ever at Villa park. 44 and 45 point finishes in the Premier League. And he's some sort of LegendGod.

I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see Bruce top 45 points.

He won the Championship with them on the first time of asking, then finished 10th in their first season back followed by a 13th place finish. This with essentially a Championship squad. He was superb for them. If he took over for us from Sherwood and didn't keep us up but managed to do all of that with the same squad we had in the Championship, we'd rightfully love him too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, momo said:

I think there is a possibility, you could be right.....what then?

where does the debate lead?

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think Brucie will do well with the Geordies, hometown club and all that. Made some good signings. 

I am a 1000 percent sure he didnt make them signings. He prob thinks Joe Linton is a rugged full back from Shrewsbury 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I think there is a possibility, you could be right.....what then?

where does the debate lead?

I think he will get them in and around the relegation zone. Possibly just keep them up. That would not have been good enough for us, and is unlikely to be good enough for Newcastle fans.

Any better than that and I will be amazed and he will have just been trolling us during his time here.

If, as is more likely they go down.... then they have the right man to bring them back up in 3 or 4 seasons time. 4 promotions dontcha know - 4 !!!

Bruce has done okay in the Premier League before, he got Sunderland 10th. That's their 2nd highest finish in the PL I think.

Sunderland board expected European placing with the squad they had and he was subsequently let go as a result.

He's not the worst manager in the world, so it wouldn't surprise me if they survived, but they'll be bottom end I suspect.

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Bruce has done okay in the Premier League before, he got Sunderland 10th. That's their 2nd highest finish in the PL I think.

Sunderland board expected European placing with the squad they had and he was subsequently let go as a result.

He's not the worst manager in the world, so it wouldn't surprise me if they survived, but they'll be bottom end I suspect.

Exactly this = average, everything about the man = bang average.

All seem a bit familiar

Steve Bruce: "We were okay first half and unfortunately against a good team we've gifted them a goal, which is never easy to recover from. We left ourselves a bit exposed then but overall, I was pleased because there wasn't anything in it. I can't remember playing against Arsenal and the goalkeeper has had so little to do but unfortunately, we've made a mistake which has cost us.

"We had little half chances where you need it to fall in the box for you and we stuck at it. The players couldn't give us anything else, they were terrific until the very end. I'm just disappointed we've conceded a bad goal and they are rightly disappointed in the dressing room."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11782736/newcastle-0-1-arsenal-pierre-emerick-aubameyang-strike-hands-gunners-winning-start

• Haha 1

Â