Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree TRO it will take more than two years to get things right. But you said that as though we’d made the first steps on a long road to recovery, when in fact just the opposite is true. Xia and all those responsible for running the club have taken us massively backwards over the last two years. 

We are on the edge staring into the abyss. 

Well there are 2 parts to a football club Dave

• The football part
  • The Financial part

I usually comment on the part I think I know a bit about.....and for me it was improving, not right, but improving. The financial part has just blown all that away and as you so eloquently say on the edge staring into the abyss.

so yes, i take your point.

• Like 1

I think the flaw with that shifting of the deadwood plan is paying off contracts as a lump sum. I dont think we have that cash. We dont know how bad it is obviously, but we do know we couldnt find a million quid a month ago.

I think the club as well as us are trying to mentally shift gears from "biggest spenders in the league" to "can we stay up with whats left after we sell the players other clubs will buy?"

Its quite a shock.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

So is Steve going to be allowed to bring anyone in even on loan or free transfer? We are in pretty desperate need for another center back even if we keep Chester. 

I guess he may not know until some money has come in for Grealish, Chester and anyone  else we can offload. When Xia sees how much he has got, maybe he will sub Bruce a little share if he can spare any.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Micah Richards - the fully depreciated footballer...

Let's form the Micah Richards depreciation society. I feel I am a fully paid up member already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

So is Steve going to be allowed to bring anyone in even on loan or free transfer? We are in pretty desperate need for another center back even if we keep Chester. 

Do we have ZERO youth good enough to step up?

Seems like ages since we had a home grown defender good enough to be back up even at this level.

I mean there was Baker but, we know how that story went.

Suliman seems to have been a "top prospect" forever.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do we have ZERO youth good enough to step up?

Seems like ages since we had a home grown defender good enough to be back up even at this level.

I mean there was Baker but, we know how that story went.

Suliman seems to have been a "top prospect" forever.

I don’t know about defenders in our youth ranks being good enough but I do think our current situation with corrupt owner etc at least by default forces us to stick in more youth players. I think some of those like green, Hepburn Murphy etc look exciting and we could have a young vibrant side with pace. Now I know that goes against everything Bruce has done so far so I’m not convinced it will happen but I’m desperate times cling on to hope. Imagine if we slip under the radar into a promotion charge. I admit it’s unlikley with the crook in charge and any players playering well up to January will be sold in the transfer window but it’s good to dream sometimes 

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think the flaw with that shifting of the deadwood plan is paying off contracts as a lump sum. I dont think we have that cash. We dont know how bad it is obviously, but we do know we couldnt find a million quid a month ago.

I think the club as well as us are trying to mentally shift gears from "biggest spenders in the league" to "can we stay up with whats left after we sell the players other clubs will buy?"

Its quite a shock.

I don't think we're in danger of relegation just yet tbh - I guess it depends on who leaves and who comes in - but I certainly think the mentality shift is true.

As it stands, I think we've got a team that is good enough to challenge for playoffs/promotion again.  The problem is that the spine will be ripped out.

• Like 1

Also, am I the only one who feels having Bruce as manager during a period of financial hardship is a good thing?  I imagine he has good contacts for getting in decent loan players if it comes down to that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

With Richards having 12 months left, I'm not sure.  With other players, you'd have to bring forward their wages (essentially) and also their transfer fee, which is typically spread out over the length of a contract.

So, let's say we release McCormack... he signed on a 4 year contract in August 2016 for £12m.  My understanding (accountants will correct me) is that the fee is spread out over the 4 years.  So we'd account for £3m at the time, £3m the next year, £3m the next year etc.  We've only had 2 years of him at the club, so £6m of the £12m accounted for to today.  If we released him, we'd have to add in the additional £6m as well as any wages that he'd be owed.  So you're just worsening the FFP situation.  Even if we sold him for £5m, we'd basically show that money as a £1m loss. 

At least that's what I thought happened...!

So yes Bobzy you are correct.

So the folk that are on 12 months remaining or lets say other fringe players like gardner etc who won't be on as much wages but have a couple of years left.

Your players like McCormack who are the remaining contracts on silly wages we look to sell/loan out or in some cases cancel their contract by mutual consent and reach an agreement.

Anything is possible and I get we are being played since the world and their cousin knows about the mess we are now in.

Well done to the moron and his interview making matters worse in some areas.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I don’t think we can pay off deadwood, but we can send them anywhere that will give 10p toward their salary.  A 10p saved is 10p earned.   

Your on my level of thinking Mr smith.

Just get them off and away by any means nessecary.

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also, am I the only one who feels having Bruce as manager during a period of financial hardship is a good thing?  I imagine he has good contacts for getting in decent loan players if it comes down to that.

Yeah that little black book of his has worked wonders so far!   :crylaugh:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah that little black book of his has worked wonders so far!   :crylaugh:

Snodgrass and Johnstone were 2 of our better players last season, Tuanzebe looked decent but got injured, Grabban scored 8 and Onomah... well, he could've been better I guess :D.

Either way, not exactly a bad track record?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Nope. But the rest of us who have dared to suggest such a thing have just got bored of the usual suspects shouting at us. 

• Like 1

Â