Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ipswich had no money as Evans stopped investing after Keane wasted the money. He spent 3 million on 81 players in 6 years at Ipswich. Living off loans and free transfers

Correct. But they have been solvent. I wasn't exaggerating, we may have less to spend than Ipswich next season.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

so, the nose over the line is all that matters........ok fine.

so if England don't win the World cup?....its all pants.

give me a break sheepy.

good grief, here we go again.

Very poor analogy. England were not expected to win the world cup, and if they do it will be an outstanding achievement. Villa on the other hand had all the tools available to get promoted and the objective and expectation was just that.

So yes, nose over the line was everything. Winning games, squad harmony, nice bloke etc, all worthless without promotion, as we are now seeing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

give me a break sheepy.

We only sing if we win it!

53 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Very poor analogy. England were not expected to win the world cup, and if they do it will be an outstanding achievement. Villa on the other hand had all the tools available to get promoted and the objective and expectation was just that.

So yes, nose over the line was everything. Winning games, squad harmony, nice bloke etc, all worthless without promotion, as we are now seeing. 

It was a great analogy imo.

Obviously, with the mess we find ourselves in now it seems Xia took this hardline-on-expectation approach too where winning was everything. Despite everyone on here understanding the statistical probability of that outcome being small. There are a lot of fans, me included, who did not expect a top 2 finish last year. Or to put it another way, I agree on the England bit but the Villa bit is not how I see it.

Be a shame if England go out and lose the 3rd/4th place play off match. then it would become a really good analogy ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Slow down Stag man......I never expected villa to go up.....i hoped we would. You and others may have done buts thats your expectation....i don't take anything for granted in football.....Brazil was expected to win the world cup, but bingo, they are out....Fulham were in 10th position before Mitrovic arrived, so their team wasn't right up to that point.

expectation can be deliver a bag of disappointment and with it comes a barrow load of recriminations.

I was never wholly convinced in all of our players, i think 4th was about right.

but yes the manager has to be responsible for the first eleven, i have never argued with that.

lets hope for my perspective we can attract some players more conducive with this league.....more power and strength, some big guys in key positions that we too can prosper from set pieces......more areial power for me.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, TRO said:

give me a break sheepy.

You're contrasting the expectations of England's world cup adventure, to our promotion Chance's last season ?

No. What about, you give me s break ?

• Like 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

You're contrasting the expectations of England's world cup adventure, to our promotion Chance's last season ?

No. What about, you give me s break ?

Well i never expected villa to go up......i hoped we would.

there's the difference of opinion.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

give me a break sheepy.

If England don’t win the World Cup I will tear off my Gareth Southgate waistcoat, jump and down on in it in rage and call loudly for his dismissal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Course you didn't .

I am being serious......if you sat with me during the season, i would have explained during every home game.

There were shortfalls for all to see......i don't want to get in to criticising individual players, but in terms of consistency we were not good enough.

Its gone now and despite the near miss....and financial straight jacket, i hope we can attract some players like Bamba and Morrison to give us power in the air, for the forthcoming season.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree completely.  He was telling it how it is. Im sick of the lies and I am happy bruce had the balls to tell us the truth.

I bet all other clubs are happy he had the balls too. 

Not that they needed Bruce to tel them how bad the situation was but the confirmation might be enough to lower bids by a few million here and there. 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I bet all other clubs are happy he had the balls too. 

Not that they needed Bruce to tel them how bad the situation was but the confirmation might be enough to lower bids by a few million here and there. 

Well if they and everyone else already knew, why would you get upset at Bruce speaking the truth? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree completely.  He was telling it how it is. Im sick of the lies and I am happy bruce had the balls to tell us the truth.

and maybe publicly naming them could be an attempt to start a bidding war? do people really think he would have given such a candid interview without consulting the owners first? but of course, as others have said, people will find any old stick to beat him with

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Well if they and everyone else already knew, why would you get upset at Bruce speaking the truth? 

Who said I was upset? I couldn’t care less what he has to say. It’s all meaningless 

edit: I do think If I was the owner of a company I wouldn’t be to happy with one of my key employees telling the world and our rivals how much of a mess we are in. 

second edit: just read the interview. @tomav84 is right. It does seem the club have asked him to put a for sale sign up for Kodija, Chester and Grealish.  Would be bizarre for him to name them otherwise. 

Sad times. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

and maybe publicly naming them could be an attempt to start a bidding war? do people really think he would have given such a candid interview without consulting the owners first? but of course, as others have said, people will find any old stick to beat him with

Wouldn’t surprise me. :(

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

second edit: just read the interview. @tomav84 is right. It does seem the club have asked him to put a for sale sign up for Kodija, Chester and Grealish.  Would be bizarre for him to name them otherwise. 

Sad times. 

Surely we need to clear out the dead wood first. Richards, Gil, De Leat, Taylor, McCormack, Tshibola etc. first before selling off our good stock?

Wouldn't suprise me to see him **** this up too selling our assets, leave us with high earning deadwood wage thiefs, and resign a week before the season starts and self proclaiming that he financially saved us by selling Grealish and the like and acting like a 2nd coming. I can see it all now.

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Image result for lalala i don't want to hear

I think you missed my point completely.

Im not in the pro Bruce camp so dont quite understand your comments..

1. Who caused the "clusterf***k" solely Bruce? or a combination of him the board and players? Lets remember they are not completly blameless in all this. So disagree with that. In a way i feel sorry for him having to be the one breaking this news as Xia should have done this days earlier when he wrote us a letter.... i only feel bad for him for this reasons as clearly stated.

2. Yeah maybe we should have got a better manager... hindsight is great aint it ? At the time i would have said Bruce was one of the better candidates with his track record.. again hindsight has told us otherwise but its easy looking back isnt it?

3. How many managers spunk money... they all get some wrong.. even fergie.. disagree again..

4. Last point is absolute nonsense so i wont even bother trying to answer that..

Can take your fingers out your ears and put the reading glasses on now sarky....

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

Â