Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

for many, there is literally nothing that he could have said that they would have liked

Absolutely.

Tells the truth - 'what an idiot, can't believe he's been so open'

Says a load of tosh - 'what an idiot, does he think we don't know how bad it is'

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Absolutely.

Says a load of tosh - 'what an idiot, does he think we don't know how bad it is'

Yeah I had no problem with Bruce's interview. Not like the bullshit letter the **** prick chairman put on the website. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Absolutely.

I personally couldn’t care less what he has to say and haven’t heard the interview either. but from reading this blog I suspect many fans would have maybe liked to have heard something along the lines of him feeling he failed last season but hasn’t given up on his objective. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

As I said before it's a no lose situation for Bruce now.

Start badly the excuses are there. Struggle throughout the season at the lower end of the table the excuses are there.

Villa surprise most and hover around top ten. Heralded as a miracle worker and enhances reputation ten fold.

He can't lose by staying. He isn't stupid.

I agree with this for the most part.

He seems to have this mentality that he's doing us the favour, which would suit him just fine too.

@terrytini I have little doubt that he is genuine when he says he's staying because the club need him. The reality is we needed him last season too. And his thoughts on his worth in our coming campaign are worthless until he puts them into practice. If he has the mentality that he is staying because we need him, he is by principle contradicting himself. On one hand you have Aston Villa, the giant that belongs in the Premier League, deserving of personnel who can perform to such standards. On the other hand, you have Aston Villa, the club in demise who with each season of failure can expect less from their club and those who are in charge. It can't be both. For me it's neither. We are the biggest club in the Championship, and should be aspiring towards promotion, although the club in demise is a real possibility and even a probability unless we change direction and therefore destination.

He came close to promotion last season, a success to some given the lack of in recent history. This coming season, in light of what is happening off the pitch, he will be further absolved from responsibility. While I do consider last season a successful one in some ways, my thoughts surrounding the upcoming one are not so positive.

We need a manager who's going to assemble a team that can out-perform our opposition. Not a man absolved from responsibility for the clubs plight after over one and a half years in a managerial position. I said in the promotion thread and I'll say it again here, his idea of raising the standards better not be shouting louder at training. Furthermore, he does need to realise, something I'm not entirely sure about given the history of his comments, raising the standards is a must.

Edited by A'Villan

Apart from those who insult him I find myself agreeing with the majority of the Posts, whether For or Against. 

I particularly agree with the Poster who couldn’t believe how much this Club, compared to any other, appears to be utterly paralysed with fear over FFP. ( I’m no expert but my gut / fantasy feeling is if the players are being sold due to ffp, keep them, take a fine and a 30 point deduction, start in Leagye 2 with a great squad and new manager !) ( but I suspect the cash will be to pay Tony’s creditors).

The only thing I’m certain of is it’s a huge mess, and I can’t wait to watch some football.

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

I'd like them to say

"we are going all out for promotion this season and we keep all our best players. We have people behind the scenes business people who are working hard to circumvent FFP"

I've never heard any other club in the UK shít themselves so much over FFP

Other clubs in the championship haven't  been paying prem league wages/ fee's  out for 2 seasons ...Winning the league and all extra's will net you £7mil in income in this league we spent half that just on Terry last season ergo we are now in the shit .Others are stuggling too just not the limit we are don't expect the likes of Derby and Shef Wed  to be spending alot .Norwhich took in 22mil for Maddison I doubt they will spend much of that 

• Like 2

I think people give Bruce a pass because he is a nice bloke, he cares, he's honest in fact he succeeds at a lot of things, but his transfer policy and attempts to get us promoted aren't either of those things and last time I checked failing at those are the two things which have helped at least to some extent get us in the pickle we are in now, that and Tony being a fraud.

People are now saying we are lucky he stayed, that no one else would join us in this situation??? I don't agree.

Would rather see Calderwood and/or Agniew get a shot, I bet as former managers they are on decent wages!

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

I suspect the only reason he is still here as it would cost more to sack him and hire an replacement. Whatever you think of him he has a bloody hard job in the next few weeks. 

Can't argue with that.

I will back him when the season starts, because we have to draw a line and look forward, but I am still hurting from the damaging failure that he has to be at least partly accountable for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Can't argue with that.

I will back him when the season starts, because we have to draw a line and look forward, but I am still hurting from the damaging failure that he has to be at least partly accountable for.

I am still hurting from when Stoke drew 2-2 with us, when Milner was sold, losing to Bradford, getting relegated, and on, and on , and on.............

Still can't wait to the wigan game, UTV!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am still hurting from when Stoke drew 2-2 with us, when Milner was sold, losing to Bradford, getting relegated, and on, and on , and on.............

Still can't wait to the wigan game, UTV!

not sure any of those things compare to what we are going through now, but yeah sure we can always fall that little bit lower.

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

not sure any of those things compare to what we are going through now, but yeah sure we can always fall that little bit lower.

It is the constant drip, drip, decline that has been going on since 2010 really. And I don't think it has bottomed out. 

• Like 3

In a way i feel sorry for Bruce, hes practically had to break the news about Jack. I notice that the OS have today released a almost identical article to the Sky Sports interview released yesterday, why did Xia not address this in his letter to the fans the other day? Why did they not release this interview before Sky did, surely they knew ? 

Fair play to him for sticking around, i know a lot of people wont agree with that but i base this purely on he could have easily walked away after his convo with Xia the other day. He is going to be as good as we will get with the problems we have at the minute. Of course he still has plenty of time to walk but that wouldnt surprise me either given Xia allegedly has a sketchy record in dealing with the truth.....

I've been on the fence about Bruce, i see both arguments for and against. I did start to turn towards maybe its time for a change this summer after the playoff final, but ultimately at this moment in time we are stuck with him and we are probably going to need to play ugly this coming season with the fire sale about to happen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Teri I hope you’re but I don’t think it would be so easy for him to leave as I doubt there will be many clubs out there that would want to recruit him or will pay anything near what Villa currently are.  His reputation has taken a hit for not getting us promoted in my opinion. 

I’ve no doubt he will give his best in any job he is in. I just question if he really believes deep down that he can still be successful at Villa. 

Not by playing the way we did last season, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, London Villa said:

I see some posters' point when they say he is already 'making excuses' for next season. However if I was in his shoes, with the club in the dire mess it finds itself, I certainly wouldn't be saying 'yeah this is our year, we'e going to smash it' because lets all be honest.... we ain't.

Good overall post. However, I don't think he needs to indulge in either. I don't want to be hyper negative about Bruce, for me it's an area he could improve on though.

He was making statements about the clubs demise and situation at the beginning of last season. I understand it, the media were asking him questions to elicit a response and he felt obliged to answer. I'm of the persuasion that his comments are a reflection of how much onus he is taking on and putting on himself to get this club succeeding. Why indulge in the clubs recent history when you've just been afforded that sort of squad and clean slate, is it not to palm the blame to the club should he be unsuccessful? I think it shows his feelings about how much he's prepared to shoulder, also a fair indicator of his attitude in preparation.

Same thing as coming out and saying the club needs him, why? Of course we do, he's our manager! What we produce on pitch is largely down to his decisions and preparation. I think others pointing out that we might end up owing some gratitude for the coming season could be correct, but isn't that how it should be in relation to someone retaining their position? Only if Bruce was completely blind and uninformed about the importance of getting to the Premier League, do we owe him beyond what he is paid, for simply sticking around this season.

All that's of any significance to me is that I think he's limiting our potential by creating scapegoats, and suggesting that we need him, for any other reason than the obvious, being that we need a manager committed to the club and their best efforts. He should have a plan for next season already and preparation should be underway to hit the targets. As a coach, he should have the ability to instruct players to a level of competency in tactics and formations deigned to create chances on one end and nullify on the other, do this well and it will compensate for a lack of star quality. I hope he's working his butt off to improve on his own performance because we need him to.

On 09/07/2018 at 20:51, sheepyvillian said:

The big difference being,Nuno and the Fulham manager both achieved promotion with their respective teams. When it really mattered they wasn't found wanting. We, unfortunately, were.

so, the nose over the line is all that matters........ok fine.

so if England don't win the World cup?....its all pants.

give me a break sheepy.

• Like 3

Â