Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Been following Villa for years, but can't seem to make up my mind on this Bruce fella, anybody else got any views?

I believe one or two have mild doubts that they express from time to time but nothing major. ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He only came out in the 2nd half apparently.

Maybe he was at the behind-closed doors U23 match at Coventry earlier on? The OS article talks about him wanting the have “another look” at Mitch Clark who was in tne Coventry line-up so that suggests Bruce may have done two matches in one day. Just a thought.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

That’s just ridiculous. May I introduce you to a man called Xia (the one whose money is apparently all stuck in China...)

So you are saying that he has played absolutely no part in our current situation, or do you agree that he has some culpability?

38 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So you are saying that he has played absolutely no part in our current situation, or do you agree that he has some culpability?

I think he did what he was asked by Xia which was try to get us promoted. He didn’t succeed.

I’ve seen no evidence that he was part of what has now been partially exposed of the flaky financial dealings that Xia was involved in. Presumably Xia signed all the cheques to back Bruce’s efforts in the full knowledge of the financial risks. I have seen no evidence that Bruce colluded in these flaky financial dealings. If you have any evidence please provide it here.

Bruce tried to get us promoted and didn't succeed. Does that make him “culpable” for AVFC’s failure to pay its May tax bill on time? You need to do more than just assert this to make a convincing case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Ah, I think we may be talking about different things. When I mentioned chaos, I was thinking of an owner who claimed to be investing his own money in the club but now it seems maybe wasn’t; who has stripped the club of a top management structure; and who is suspected of selling off what he can just to keep us afloat.

That sort of chaos.

It seems you are talking about Bruce’s “failure” of getting us a narrow defeat in the playoffs. That was a bitter disappointment but it’s hard to see how you could call it chaos.

Fair one ! I see what you mean and agree with what you say - I would only repeat in terms of football matters I personally think Bruce has a lot to answer for and the narrow defeat was on paper only imo 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

He will stay unless a better offer comes in for him. His situation here is that he's going to lose any player who's worth anything and any player who shows any promise. This enables us to fight off administration, death by a thousand cuts.

My guess is one of the relegated teams will start off badly , sack their manager then offer Bruce an escape route.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

He will stay unless a better offer comes in for him. His situation here is that he's going to lose any player who's worth anything and any player who shows any promise. This enables us to fight off administration, death by a thousand cuts.

My guess is one of the relegated teams will start off badly , sack their manager then offer Bruce an escape route.

Call me a gullible old fool, but I don’t think he’s staying for the money, I think he’s staying because he thinks he’s needed and it’s the right thing to do. In my opinion if it was only money he’d have already gone...he has plenty anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Call me a gullible old fool, but I don’t think he’s staying for the money, I think he’s staying because he thinks he’s needed and it’s the right thing to do. In my opinion if it was only money he’d have already gone...he has plenty anyway.

It's kind of half way with me. I bet he thought this would be his last job and it's perfect for him as he has never moved from the area.

I'd say his heart is in the right place with us though, and if this gets to as bad as I'm thinking I'm glad it's him in charge on the field.

Pretty it aint, but this season it wont be about how pretty we can play!

Edited by Nigel

He's nearing the end of his career sitting on the biggest contract and job he's ever had and will ever get.

Can certainly see why he'd be "willing" to stay even considering the mess we're in.

Guess him feeling responsible for being partly culpable in landing us in this mess could also be part of why he feels he should stay on.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The age is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is when he plans on retiring.

So where's the idea of him nearing the end of his career coming from then? Did he say something?

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The age is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is when he plans on retiring.

You’re absolutely right, it’s nothing to do with age. He’s on page 1894 of a 2000 page contract. 106 pages to go. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

So where's the idea of him nearing the end of his career coming from then? Did he say something?

Not to my knowledge, I think we can agree that whatever the weather he's probably nearing the end of his career, I have no basis for this but my opinion would be that hes maybe looking at 60 as a good time to call it a day after a 45 year association with the game but that's only my opinion. 

If that were true or close to being correct then maybe we are his last job and I'm sure, for multiple reasons, he would love to get us promoted in that time. 

• Haha 1

Â