Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

Ifs buts and maybes. Rodgers record in Scotland has been exceptional and the much vaunted Klopp has failed to achieve what he did with arguably a better squad. For now though if Bruce gets us 2nd playing the way we have been playing he will deserve a fair crack. That’s something I didn’t think I’d say at Xmas. Still a long way to goand I just hope Bruce doesn’t revert to type as the pressure mounts. What ever the reason we’ve looked far better getting extra bodies forward. I hope today he picks an attacking bench Tuesdays was very defensively minded. 

I think, regardless of the fears of some, should Bruce achieve promotion, he will undoubtedly have a season in the premiership.

For me, that would be a gamble, but then, the Chinese do have a penchant for rolling them dice.

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think, regardless of the fears of some, should Bruce achieve promotion, he will undoubtedly have a season in the premiership.

For me, that would be a gamble, but then, the Chinese do have a penchant for rolling them dice.

Would depend how we start . If we get off to a bad start I think the board would act swiftly - if around mid table they’d probably stick with him -many clubs tend to act after about 10 games If off to a poor start .

He will be judged on results and rightly so .

Edited by Eastie

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He’ll get to start the season. That’s why our recruitment policy should be without it in mind that he may not last. The so called Villa Engine in action! 

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I genuinely believe, this season at least, that the bottom 6-8 clubs in the PL are no better than the top 6-8 clubs in the Championship. I'd fancy us to stay up with the squad we have if the season were to start today. 

With investment and almost 2 years at the club, I'd back him to keep us up over some random manager with little to no experience of the league or our squad. It won't be the ideal time to take that risk. He's not the long term option no, but we need to stay realistic until we are established again. 

That is unless somebody like Benitez is available, then perhaps you bite. 

This my Worry Dave.....I am not trying to over hype Steve Bruce, he is a manger as opposed to a coach IMO.

The continental's are coaches in the main.

Its the resilience in the main, I think we could lose if we changed Steve Bruce for a foreign type.....they play stylish football, but susceptible to just as easily losing.....They rarely grind out results. That to me is a big plus.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Ifs buts and maybes. Rodgers record in Scotland has been exceptional and the much vaunted Klopp has failed to achieve what he did with arguably a better squad. For now though if Bruce gets us 2nd playing the way we have been playing he will deserve a fair crack. That’s something I didn’t think I’d say at Xmas. Still a long way to goand I just hope Bruce doesn’t revert to type as the pressure mounts. What ever the reason we’ve looked far better getting extra bodies forward. I hope today he picks an attacking bench Tuesdays was very defensively minded. 

I am not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to watch him on the touch line and listen to his comments in Interviews.

He has said:

• "You are only as good as your forward line"

Now that does not strike me as a manager who is unaware of the benefits of attacking football.

He has done many times at Home:

• Waving the players forward, when we are sitting back

Now that does not strike me as a manager that has given instructions to play deep.

Anyone is entitled to think what they like regarding our team and the manager, I just think SOME things about Steve Bruce are wide of the mark.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its the resilience in the main, I think we could lose if we changed Steve Bruce for a foreign type.....they play stylish football, but susceptible to just as easily losing.....They rarely grind out results. That to me is a big plus.

This is a tangent, I admit, but that’s utter rot TRO, my estimable friend. There are numerous examples of coaches and managers from the continent and wider who are pragmatic by nature. For every Guardiola there’s multiple Mourinho, Conteh types. Stereotypically it’s an ingrained part of Italian and German football as well. I understand the underlying point you’re making, but personally don’t agree that continental = rarely grind out results. I think that’s demonstrably untrue

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

This my Worry Dave.....I am not trying to over hype Steve Bruce, he is a manger as opposed to a coach IMO.

I think this is more of a stereotype than a truth... Mourinho is about as defensive as they come, and lots of the Italian coaches are defensive as it’s common in their leagues to play that way. Ferguson wasn’t defensive really and played some lovely attacking football over the years, but yes he did demand his players grind out wins where it was needed.

It’s hard to say as we always know the nationality of a coach, but if managers like Eddie Howe were, for example, Spanish would people think differently of them?

Just my ha’pence worth anyway :) 

I think the most important thing for our first season back in the top flight with be the recruitment. I got this impression  that Bruce would mainly focus on British based players and we end up having a MON style situation where we overspend on too many average players and our wage bill becomes unsustainable

But thinking back to some of Bruce's signings in the past he even signed players from Equador and Honduras so my concerns in that respect are probably unjustified. 

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You don't mount a title challenge, without a prolific goalscorer.

I don’t disagree with you there, but I think the Suarez was in exceptional form that season. He only needed that slightest sniff to take a bite at goal......

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Who was the last British manager to get a team into the champions league? For me that resilience thing, being mainly a British attribute, is a total misconception .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree with you there, but I think the Suarez was in exceptional form that season. He only needed that slightest sniff to take a bite at goal......

I also think Rodgers had to take some  credit for getting the best out of him.

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Normally we criticise him for making changes too late when we need a goal. Today he made changes way too early when we were in complete control.

Strange. 

Usually managers do make changes when the team is in complete control if they want to give players a rest, which he did.

Sheff Utd was a big effort from the team.

• Like 3

I wasn't a fan of the subs but there isn't much you can do when your defence forgets to do the basics. I attach no blame and we should be more than good enough to shut up shop.

I don't know what it is about this team and going 2 goals up and just switching off. **** all you can do. Players need to take responsibility.

• Like 1

Think he did it all right today. We obviously had a game plan against burtons back three and the first goal came from that. We had a couple of other chances from similar play that was just offside.

No issue with the subs, second goal could’ve killed the game off and if the pen was given we don’t concede and cruise home. 

• Like 1

Fair play to him, it's another win on the board, and I think it's good we had a bit of a scare against a team near the foot of the table as it should give the players a bit of a kick up the arse not to believe the hype of being the in-form team and just get back to basics.

Well done Steve.

10 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Usually managers do make changes when the team is in complete control if they want to give players a rest, which he did.

Sheff Utd was a big effort from the team.

He was about to make the change in the 60th minute or so at 1-0. I think even at 2-0 it's way to soon to change the dynamics of the team by taking 2 keys players off and moving  people around the way he did. 

He in affect made 3 changes and it changed the dynamics of the team and helped Burton get back in the game in my opinion. 

Making like for like changes would have made more sense at that stage if it was about resting players. 

Im happy we won and it's not a big deal. I just think the change at that stage of the game was a bit odd. 

Â