Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

What excites me is that what Steve Bruce can do at a club of our size is an unknown. Yet he has demonstrated ability in his roles elsewhere.

Totally agree with you that different situations bring out different qualities in people, and perhaps, Bruce, with better quality systems and players at his disposal will bring better performances as a manager than we have seen from him in the past.

I mean just take a look at what can potentially happen at the opposite end of the spectrum, Paul Lambert, absolutely kicking all the goals you can with Norwich, then it all falls apart for him at Villa, momentarily at least.

The difference between say Lambert and Bruce is, Bruce seems to have a hierarchy that will be investing rather than pulling the rug out from underneath. So hopefully we're in for some success from top to bottom for the first time in a while.

Who's to say Bruce is limited to relegation battles and championship promotion?

Maybe he is, but we've not seen him at a club of our stature.

I don't remember him doing too well at Sunderland, which isn't exactly a small club, and if my memory is right, I'm sure he had money to spend .

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't remember him doing too well at Sunderland, which isn't exactly a small club, and if my memory is right, I'm sure he had money to spend .

When in the last 10 years did they finish above 10th?

The best they did was finish 10th, under Bruce.

That said, I don't really know what kind of money you're talking about.

Edited by A'Villan

16 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Now there is a manager who I admire having done a phenominal job in 6 years, all on a shoe string and they're currently flirting around the top 6.

No real big name signings and barely a penny spent in his near 6 seasons. Full of admiration for the job he is doing there.

Totally agree....but he has had 6 years.

not many other managers have had that long.....he has earnt it though.

Steve Bruce has had 16 months.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Totally agree....but he has had 6 years.

not many other managers have had that long.....he has earnt it though.

Yes and given the money, or little of it spent, that is what makes it more remarkable.

Plus having the patience of the fans and the board it is really working for them. 

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

When in the last 10 years did they finish above 10th?

The best they did was finish 10th, under Bruce.

That said, I don't really know what kind of money you're talking about.

They sacked him. It seems ,10th wasn't good enough, and neither was the football tbh.

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

They sacked him. It seems ,10th wasn't good enough, and neither was the football tbh.

Steve Bruce was never popular there from day one due to his Newcastle allegiance - he did an ok job there , no more no less and there sure as hell  have not got that high again since he left .

He also took Wigan to a very decent position too in the premier league so he’s certainly not a total failure at that level .

Personally I’d love Rafa if we went up and had big money to spend bit it would be hard on Bruce to get rid so fast - that said I’m sure he will be well rewarded for promotion .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm tempted to get contentious, but, another day maybe.

Its not like ....Ewe

keep your powder dry:D

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Steve Bruce was never popular there from day one due to his Newcastle allegiance - he did an ok job there , no more no less and there sure as hell  have not got that high again since he left .

He also took Wigan to a very decent position too in the premier league so he’s certainly not a total failure at that level .

Personally I’d love Rafa if we went up and had big money to spend bit it would be hard on Bruce to get rid so fast - that said I’m sure he will be well rewarded for promotion .

He did ok at Blues too. They yo-yo'd yes but he got them up twice. Same at Hull. 

Look at the state of all of those clubs now. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

bugger benny tez. He's a constant moaner and his best times are well behind him, when we do move on from Bruce, with any luck if we're established in in the Prem again, I'd want us to go for one of the younger crop, whoever that may be.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

bugger benny tez. He's a constant moaner and his best times are well behind him, when we do move on from Bruce, with any luck if we're established in in the Prem again, I'd want us to go for one of the younger crop, whoever that may be.

I'm going to disagree with you there Rodders.

Rafa Benithez is one of the best in the game even still in this era of the modern day, it is not his fault he is working the maximum out of basically the same squad as last season with no signings in the last window. He is doing a miraculous job and the loan aqasition of Kenedy from Chelsea will be a great signing that probably see's them avoid relegation. Ashley is just a dick as we well know and I feel Rafa is only still there while the Staveley bid remains on the table.

For me he would be one of the top targets for this club and given some decent backing he is capable of taking any team into the top four.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm going to disagree with you there Rodders.

Rafa Benithez is one of the best in the game even still in this era of the modern day, it is not his fault he is working the maximum out of basically the same squad as last season with no signings in the last window. He is doing a miraculous job and the loan aqasition of Kenedy from Chelsea will be a great signing that probably see's them avoid relegation. Ashley is just a dick as we well know and I feel Rafa is only still there while the Staveley bid remains on the table.

For me he would be one of the top targets for this club and given some decent backing he is capable of taking any team into the top four.

The this with Benitez, as .much as I admire him, he's still obsessed with going back to Liverpool. Hence his family still living on the Wirral.

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The this with Benitez, as .much as I admire him, he's still obsessed with going back to Liverpool. Hence his family still living on the Wirral.

I don't understand why he would as he has nothing to prove there.

It will be like GT mkII here - not as glamourous as his first stint.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't understand why he would as he has nothing to prove there.

It will be like GT mkII here - not as glamourous as his first stint.

Tbh, if I had the choice, I'd go for  Brendan Rodgers. Love the way he wants his teams to play. Would of won the league with Liverpool, if  it wasn't for Gerrard, and that proverbial slip.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

He'll potentially have 2 relegations on his CV by then.  And his recent transfer record will include Joselu, DeAndre Yedlin and Ciaran Clark.

they are a poorly run club though Newcastle. He did well to get them up with that side.. hasnt had much money to spend. 

Rafa would be my choice in the Premier League. Bielsa still free?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tbh, if I had the choice, I'd go for  Brendan Rodgers. Love the way he wants his teams to play. Would of won the league with Liverpool, if  it wasn't for Gerrard, and that proverbial slip.

If it wasn’t for Luis Suarez they’d have struggled to get into the top 4. 

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

If it wasn’t for Luis Suarez they’d have struggled to get into the top 4. 

Ifs buts and maybes. Rodgers record in Scotland has been exceptional and the much vaunted Klopp has failed to achieve what he did with arguably a better squad. For now though if Bruce gets us 2nd playing the way we have been playing he will deserve a fair crack. That’s something I didn’t think I’d say at Xmas. Still a long way to goand I just hope Bruce doesn’t revert to type as the pressure mounts. What ever the reason we’ve looked far better getting extra bodies forward. I hope today he picks an attacking bench Tuesdays was very defensively minded. 

Edited by dn1982

Â