Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think this is more of a stereotype than a truth... Mourinho is about as defensive as they come, and lots of the Italian coaches are defensive as it’s common in their leagues to play that way. Ferguson wasn’t defensive really and played some lovely attacking football over the years, but yes he did demand his players grind out wins where it was needed.

It’s hard to say as we always know the nationality of a coach, but if managers like Eddie Howe were, for example, Spanish would people think differently of them?

Just my ha’pence worth anyway :) 

I was generalising.....but when the Dinosaur comment gets rolled out, thats usually what folk are referring to, a lack of attacking football.

• Like 1

I don't think it's about coaches of certain Nationalities being more attacking than British coaches. They just generally seem to be better at what they do. Same for the players of these same Nations. International football is clear evidence of this. 

Now reasons for this are for another topic. 

As for Bruce as manager in the top flight. Lets get there first. 

My hat remains off to him.

6 on the bounce.. Sunday is going to be massive to make it 7 wins, in a derby, where we will still definately need to pick up the 3 points regardless of the occasion. 

We are showing the true sustainability that is required. Keep it up.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I was someone who felt the same, that we should get rid if promoted. But if we do go up it means we have maintained this incredible form and it would be daft to throw that away with new ideas for the sake of it. 

Steve Bruce is making me eat my words and completely changing my thinking about him. 

I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of sacking a manager who had got us promoted - assuming it happened - but I could understand why some people would feel like that.

The longer the season has gone on, and particularly this run, the more I see continued tweaks and improvements and feel that sacking him if we were promoted would be incredibly harsh, and would mark us out as shysters - "thanks for doing what we asked, you're fired anyway".

It essentially makes us claret and blue Watford.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I always felt uncomfortable with the idea of sacking a manager who had got us promoted - assuming it happened - but I could understand why some people would feel like that.

The longer the season has gone on, and particularly this run, the more I see continued tweaks and improvements and feel that sacking him if we were promoted would be incredibly harsh, and would mark us out as shysters - "thanks for doing what we asked, you're fired anyway".

It essentially makes us claret and blue Watford.

You often see promoted sides make strong starts in the prem, due to the form they take up there. Continuing that could be key to surviving first year there. And playing like we are, it would be fair to the manager. 

It probably would also convince terry to give us another year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I was someone who felt the same, that we should get rid if promoted. But if we do go up it means we have maintained this incredible form and it would be daft to throw that away with new ideas for the sake of it. 

Steve Bruce is making me eat my words and completely changing my thinking about him. 

Same here. My main concern was the large turn around of players and whether Bruce should be the man to lead this.  

However he has to shown to have good contacts and some quality players have joined to play for him so maybe with a decent transfer kitty he could do ok. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

However he has to shown to have good contacts and some quality players have joined to play for him so maybe with a decent transfer kitty he could do ok. 

I'd be intrigued to see how he'd get on with a decent kitty at a proper club like ours.

A lot has been made of the money we've spent in this division, but most of it was spent (and wasted) before he showed up.

• Like 1

With regard to him getting a season in the prem, am I right in thinking that when he has taken teams up, he's never been given athe sort of funds to strnegthen, that was certainly the case with Hull, does anyone have any further info on the other times he's taken a team up?

2 minutes ago, perchman said:

With regard to him getting a season in the prem, am I right in thinking that when he has taken teams up, he's never been given athe sort of funds to strnegthen, that was certainly the case with Hull, does anyone have any further info on the other times he's taken a team up?

He remember him finding some decent players with Wigan and making them a mid table team.  Valencia and Palocious are two that spring to mind. 

Didnt he also bring Bent to Sunderland? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He remember him finding some decent players with Wigan and making them a mid table team.  Valencia and Palocious are two that spring to mind. 

Didnt he also bring Bent to Sunderland? 

Didn't he take Small Heath down?

Â