Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think it's a bit of a joke putting a Friday night game on after an Internatioal break. If we manage to get a result at Brighton it'll be even better than normal. Jedinak is out already and Bruce will have his work cutout getting some of the others ready for the game. Bruce has been spot on so far and he'll be even better once he has a no2 in place. 

looking at Brighton squad they have maybe 4-6 internationals and at most they will be all in Europe. I imagine we would have similar numbers but majority of our players will be playing Africa and Asia

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

looking at Brighton squad they have maybe 4-6 internationals and at most they will be all in Europe. I imagine we would have similar numbers but majority of our players will be playing Africa and Asia

Only jedinak will be in Asia, Europe, Africa not much difference in travel to be fair. Didnt realise Brighton had so many international players

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mccormack is banned for Brighton game I think so that wont make a difference to him!

Three weeks for him to get fit.. even better. Throw him in a few under 23 games to keep fit and get some scoring confidence back

I love this! Adomah saying that SB gave them a good b*******g! Good one Steve, put a rocket up them.

Albert Adomah has revealed how a passionate half-time rant from boss Steve Bruce kicked Aston Villa into life at the weekend.

The manager tore into his players after a pitiful first-half performance and that proved to be the difference.

Adomah stopped short from bad-mouthing former boss Roberto Di Matteo but did admit that Bruce’s experience and know-how has started to transform the team.

Birmingham Mail Article

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah Jedinak said the other day that they basically got the hairdryer treatment off him.

I'm quite a fan of that kind of management to be honest... I'm usually pretty liberal in most facets of life but with footballers, I think they need a 'boss'. I know Cloughy was a special manager, but I did love the simplistic way he used to give them hell. I heard an anecdote about Nigel Clough when he was at Leeds (I think) where they'd had a terrible first half, and they all thought "we're in for it now, Clough will go mad". But at half time he walked in the dressing room, lay down with his his in his hands and didn't say a word for 15 mins! They were silent the whole time. Then they knew they were going to get it even worse if they had a terrible second half. It could be an apocryphal story (the best usually are) but I like a manager to be a 'boss'. 

33 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I'm quite a fan of that kind of management to be honest... I'm usually pretty liberal in most facets of life but with footballers, I think they need a 'boss'. I know Cloughy was a special manager, but I did love the simplistic way he used to give them hell. I heard an anecdote about Nigel Clough when he was at Leeds (I think) where they'd had a terrible first half, and they all thought "we're in for it now, Clough will go mad". But at half time he walked in the dressing room, lay down with his his in his hands and didn't say a word for 15 mins! They were silent the whole time. Then they knew they were going to get it even worse if they had a terrible second half. It could be an apocryphal story (the best usually are) but I like a manager to be a 'boss'. 

I do too, although obviously it can't be like that all the time otherwise it loses its meaning - which is why I think the likes of Di Canio (as an extreme example) have a VERY short shelf life as managers before losing everyone's faith.  If all you do is 'hairdryer' then you end up a **** headcase in the eyes of the players.  But when someone with a normally controlled manner lets loose, then you know you're in trouble.  Bruce clearly has that in his locker.  I can't imagine Di Matteo ever giving the hairdryer treatment and everyone managing to keep a straight face.  And it's not quite the same coming from a number 2.

• Like 4

Why do we need a hairdryer at half time though? Complacency or still a lack of confidence?

I am not slating Bruce on this one but we should be coming out first half and blowing these useless teams away. i thought the tactic from Bruce was keeping it tight and then going for the killer blow on the hour, obviously not.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Why do we need a hairdryer at half time though? Complacency or still a lack of confidence?

I am not slating Bruce on this one but we should be coming out first half and blowing these useless teams away. i thought the tactic from Bruce was keeping it tight and then going for the killer blow on the hour, obviously not.

I believe from the Jedi interview it was complacency.  Get out of 2nd gear type of thing.  And yes we should be coming out first half in top gear, which is why they got the hairdryer, and won.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

One would imagine exactly this.  It's "only" Blackburn and we are the "mighty" Aston Villa, this will be a walk in the park.  0-0 half time, get told to pull your socks up and work for the win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

One would imagine exactly this.  It's "only" Blackburn and we are the "mighty" Aston Villa, this will be a walk in the park.  0-0 half time, get told to pull your socks up and work for the win.

19 hours ago, BOF said:

I believe from the Jedi interview it was complacency.  Get out of 2nd gear type of thing.  And yes we should be coming out first half in top gear, which is why they got the hairdryer, and won.

Agree. I think what we should consider is that every single team in the division see's us as a target and turns up 100% from the off. That means unlike other seasons we cannot afford to start games slowly, i'm not sure these players are used to that mentality as of yet.

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Agree. I think what we should consider is that every single team in the division see's us as a target and turns up 100% from the off. That means unlike other seasons we cannot afford to start games slowly, i'm not sure these players are used to that mentality as of yet.

But conversely we did not adopt the approach of 100% from the off in the prem.

i don't think it matters what league you are in......if you don't take up the initiative your opponent will.

We must be mentally and physically "at it"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

But conversely we did not adopt the approach of 100% from the off in the prem.

i don't think it matters what league you are in......if you don't take up the initiative your opponent will.

We must be mentally and physically "at it"

I've chose to ignore last season from all my conversations/posts about villa, don't think we were 100% for a single minute of a single game last season.

On 09/11/2016 at 17:24, rodders0223 said:

Why the frickin heck is there a hairdryer there anyway. It's a bloody football changing room not a beauty salon. 

If they have to have anything it should be one of those things on the wall that cost 10p for 30 seconds of lukewarm breeze and they should be grateful for that the pampered girls.

I bet they get free hot chocolate with extra froth as well,  makes me sick. 

Edited by sidcow

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Why the frickin heck is there a hairdryer there anyway. It's a bloody football changing room not a beauty salon. 

If they have to have anything it should be one of those things on the wall that cost 10p for 30 seconds of lukewarm breeze and they should be grateful for that the pampered girls.

No, this hairdryer comes with a dose of saliva.

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, but the hot chocolate is actually luke warm.  Take that you overpaid bishes!

Â