Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Served up some more of his dull uninspiring football again. Also completely out thought by one of those young progressive managers who has got his team on fire at the moment. 

See the thing with jokey observations like this is sometimes the humour is lost in the absurdity.

Edit : oops, yes perhaps a smiley necessary !

Edited by terrytini

This must be the longest post match interview ever. 

Speaks very well, I like him.

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

I think he's not scared to play players we fans don't rate if it means he can play the system he wants, he's seemingly got several different systems too

still wouldn't say it's particularly pretty but it's head and shoulders above what we've had in the last 5/6 years

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Just to be clear I am a huge Steve Bruce fan. 

I would have gone all out to get him and paid significant compensation to Hull before we got RDM in. 

After we brought him in there were a number of people objectiong strongly to him Talking extensively about his dull brand of football and how he was a dinosaur and we should get in a young progressive manager. 

This was a sarcastic dig at those people. 

Just seen him interviewed on t'telly.  The more I hear him talk the more I like him and the more it becomes clear that this is a simple game and he totally understands it. 

How easy he has made it look.  What a shame we wasted so much,  perhaps catastrophically too much time with RDM. 

I am 100% certain that if Bruce had been here from day 1 we would have a far superior midfield than we do now and would be neck and neck with Newcastle. 

I said in the match thread that the weaknesses in our squad are so obvious and that we finally have a manager who will totally see that.  I am sure he will bring in a few players who a lot of people will say are uninspiring and will moan about but will turn out to be exactly what we need. 

Agreed. I pondered in the match thread too that had he have been here pre-season, all of them draws wouldn't have been draws (and we'd be romping the league).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andym said:

Yep, much more organised, and one thing i really like is our pressing is much better. Part of it is improved fitness, but part of it is the drills Bruce has clearly had them doing on the training ground. 

Watch how we send out 1 or 2 to press, then if the ball is moved they move back into holding position and another player nearer the ball goes out. We can put pressure on without compromising our structure or defensive solidity. Previously, we would all charge around, and yes it looked good (everyone loves it when players 'get stuck in' and close down aggressively) but it meant 1 simple pass could open us up.

I still think we need to improve ball retention - we mess up so many good positions through our own sloppy play, and throw ins are still a disaster (we might as well just throw the ball straight to the opposition), but Bruce has been excellent overall so far.

This so much.  All the bullturd you see written about systems players formations possession stats etc are mostly red herrings. 

The game is simple and I think people get unstuck and tied in knots at the same time when they try to overthink it. 

Unless you have a set of incredibly accomplished players with otherworldly skillsets assembled at eye watering costs or very very rarely through excellent scouting and coaching the teams who come out on top are the hardest working best drilled teams. 

If you are not blessed with players of huge skill and vision who can deliver balls through the eye of a needle run your arse ragged trying to find space to give them an easy ball. 

If the opposition are superior to you run your arse ragged to keep in their faces and pile pressure onto them so they can't pick a pass and probably make a mistake. They don't like it up them you know. 

Throw your bodies at the ball. Tackle hard. Press your man give them no time or comfort. 

So many times I have marveled at how other managers inspire this into their teams and wondered what the hell is going through our managers tiny mind as our players are static not looking for the ball and not pressing the opponents. 

It's a simple game you just have to work damn hard at it and if you have a bit of ability to boot you can go an awful long way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

What a difference he's making, just wow. I actually saw Aston Villa players constantly pressing the opposition for an entire game, Bruce is a miracle man. 

Not a miracle man, just a proper manager, unlike his predecessor.

• Like 2

Â