Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, lexicon said:

Would you have been slating him if we hadn't gone defensive against a team known for scoring late goals? It was the right move IMO. 

Davis was a poor choice, came on and didn't bother pressuring their back line and couldn't hold the ball up, this put us under a lot of pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Davis was a poor choice, came on and didn't bother pressuring their back line and couldn't hold the ball up, this put us under a lot of pressure.

He was chasing down the defenders and goalkeeper pretty much the whole time he was on - if he wasn't holding the ball up well, isn't that more down to him than Bruce? 

Overall a good game for Bruce although we dropped off too much at 1-0 and his defensive dubs invited the late pressure IMO. That’s a direct result of his overly cautious approach and had we drawn that to a late goal he would rightly have been criticised.

I wish the Magic Fairy would show him that the alternative of trying to go for the kill is just as valid as I feel it will serve us better.

Orher than that though I thought he did well today.

• Like 1

I'm not quite back there with him yet as I was at the start and it's going to take a bit more to  get me on side but credit where it's due, if he keeps this recent upward trend going and improves on it then I will start to believe a little bit. Performances could be better but results are more important in this game. Keep it up Steve.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Fairly standard fair today. Pleased with the result if not the performance.

The issues today were the same as in so many other games.

The changes and the last 10 mind was horrific.

A very good three points and nice to be in top 6 but still far from impressed with Bruce.

I'm not impressed either, but like you said on last page, he's not going anywhere soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Fairly standard fair today. Pleased with the result if not the performance.

The issues today were the same as in so many other games.

The changes and the last 10 mind was horrific.

A very good three points and nice to be in top 6 but still far from impressed with Bruce.

I was going to post something similar. 

And for those not at the game today, here is a brief overview. 

1st half

Started great, scored.

Sat back, conceded.

2nd half

Started great, scored.

Sat back and held on for dear life. 

Bruce out. 

We made it more nervy for ourselves than it should have been but I can't really put that down to the manager. We were a better weighted pass or choosing a different option away from getting another couple today as we wasted some great situations.

We aren't playing to our potential yet but after 1 defeat in 10 taking 21 points I don't see that as a big negative. If we can play to our potential and improve on our form over the last 10 games we will be laughing and well on course for top 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

By and large the right line up and approach today, right move to bring Onomah in as he was our best player today. Didn't think his substitutions were any good and did put us more under the cosh in the last 10 minutes than we should have been, but immaterial given the result.

Yep I agree, got the starting line up correct and the way we pressed showed we had done our homework. I would've liked different subs, but it worked and we got the result.

• Like 1

The closeness in proximity between the Birmingham, Preston and Wednesday games will really be where Bruce's worth comes into it. The squad will have to be used. Up to now i think he's only paid lip service and token gestures to the likes of o' hare and doyle-hayes but we'll be stretched in those 3 games. Squad must be used.

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We made it more nervy for ourselves than it should have been but I can't really put that down to the manager. We were a better weighted pass or choosing a different option away from getting another couple today as we wasted some great situations.

We aren't playing to our potential yet but after 1 defeat in 10 taking 21 points I don't see that as a big negative. If we can play to our potential and improve on our form over the last 10 games we will be laughing and well on course for top 2.

How you can not attribute it to the manager is beyond me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

How you can not attribute it to the manager is beyond me.

Attribute what? Not playing a better weighted pass or choosing a different option as I don't put either down to the manager.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Well many people said we should play 5 in the middle today to match up with Fulham and stop us getting overrun like last week. 

He did despite some others conversley saying we should play 2 up top at home. 

We won, and indeed probably should have won better against a decent side so I guess that has to go as a well done to Bruce. 

Just wish we could win by a couple sometimes so the last few minutes of a game can be enjoyable instead of a heart in the mouth moment. 

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Attribute what? Not playing a better weighted pass or choosing a different option as I don't put either down to the manager.

You mean you don’t blame the manager for poor coaching?

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

But sitting back and inviting pressure is down to the manager. That creates a nervous atmosphere from the stands which in turn puts more pressure in the players. That is absolutely down to the manager. 

Â