Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

We have and no doubt we'll be back there again sooner than anyone had hoped. 

Of course, it's the hope that kills you, but when you think about it, so few clubs, managers, or players ever consistently meet the fans' expectations. 

We all demand success, but over the course of a season, perhaps only a handful of teams meet or exceed the common aspiration, the rest by definition, disappoint or downright fail. 

Barring the occasional brief periods of success, following football is largely a low reward, energy sapping slog. 

I'm beginning to see the appeal of philately.

Crib for me, just like the thrill of matchsticks.:)

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not saying the only problems we have lie here......but we just can't get the midfield right.

in general

• They fail to close down
  • They fail to read the game
  • They fail to impose themselves aerially and win the ball
  • They struggle to free themselves from their opponent
  • They are too slow to play the ball ( with the exception of O'Hare)
  • Too slow to pick out a collegue (with the exception of O'Hare)
  • inconsistent in finding their man
  • Too slow to get away from an opponent

I could go on

There are far too many flaws there to do any damage to any team.I think its high time the manager was questioned directly on why he thinks these things are STILL in evidence.

We need answers now.

These problems have been here from day one. It's got to be down to the training style. Big Ron was supposed to just do five a side I've no idea what Bruce does but he certainly doesn't work on pattern of play. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

These problems have been here from day one. It's got to be down to the training style. Big Ron was supposed to just do five a side I've no idea what Bruce does but he certainly doesn't work on pattern of play. 

Yes, they have been here since day 1 and before that too.....I genuinely felt he would deal with at least some of them.....but my taxi meter is now reading destination.

That Wolves game on the back of 4 wins, was a defining moment in his management for me......Blimey, you couldn't gain more confidence.

I don't think it will change.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not saying the only problems we have lie here......but we just can't get the midfield right.

in general

• They fail to close down
  • They fail to read the game
  • They fail to impose themselves aerially and win the ball
  • They struggle to free themselves from their opponent
  • They are too slow to play the ball ( with the exception of O'Hare)
  • Too slow to pick out a collegue (with the exception of O'Hare)
  • inconsistent in finding their man
  • Too slow to get away from an opponent

I could go on

There are far too many flaws there to do any damage to any team.I think its high time the manager was questioned directly on why he thinks these things are STILL in evidence.

We need answers now.

His answer would be that it is not his fault.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

His answer would be that it is not his fault.

It may be not his fault directly......but indirectly, he has to take responsibility for it.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we are between the devil and the deep blue sea.

he is not quite bad enough to sack, but not good enough to meet expectations, so far.

I can see us getting 2 points from these 3 games.

I think he has just been hanging on by his fingernails.

I have always felt that given time he will get some of the things we are all disappointed with on match day, right...I now have my doubts.

Exactly why I hoped we would get a poor enough result or two a few weeks back that would solve the problem.

I've seen nothing that says he will get us to the level we need. and nothing that says he will do so badly that he goes. We will look back on the Norwich game and the following couple as being the moment we lost our chance of going up - in my view.  Of course a change could have been made and we could have STILL not gone up - likewise of course Bruce could do it, but that's my view anyway. I think he was maybe one poor result away, but we got those 3 or 4 points and - IMO - they will cost us many more.

Too late now of course, the level of performance that would mean he goes will also mean the next guy has little chance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Exactly why I hoped we would get a poor enough result or two a few weeks back that would solve the problem.

I've seen nothing that says he will get us to the level we need. and nothing that says he will do so badly that he goes. We will look back on the Norwich game and the following couple as being the moment we lost our chance of going up - in my view.  Of course a change could have been made and we could have STILL not gone up - likewise of course Bruce could do it, but that's my view anyway. I think he was maybe one poor result away, but we got those 3 or 4 points and - IMO - they will cost us many more.

Too late now of course, the level of performance that would mean he goes will also mean the next guy has little chance.

Exactly

RDM was sacked with the thinking „a new manager may cure this conceeding in the last 5mins syndrome“ and we would win our way up the table - we were not playing badly under RDM we were dropping points badly.

Now we are in a situation that IF the next „how man results“ prompted a manager change a new manager would have to:

get results changing things to a greater degree than Bruce had to change things from RDM‘s time in charge

With the disadvantage of Not having a penny to spend in January but the task of turning a better 1st 11/squad around.

I‘d say a harder task than what Bruce had and even more pressure on for getting it right.

IF Bruce had of got us in the playoffs but we lost (unluckly/penalty/red card/ref decision) we would have all be up for a 2nd go. Now we‘re in a shit or bust situation and its more than likely the reason why Bruce is still here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I feel that Elmo and Whelan whilst good options sometimes, they shouldn’t be automatic starters. Bree or De Laet deserve a chance and Onomah, Grealish and O’Hare should feature vs Fulham.

Poor bree hasn't had a look in. Bad management in my view

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes, they have been here since day 1 and before that too.....I genuinely felt he would deal with at least some of them.....but my taxi meter is now reading destination.

That Wolves game on the back of 4 wins, was a defining moment in his management for me......Blimey, you couldn't gain more confidence.

I don't think it will change.

So you’ve lost patience with Bruce?

Bruce said in his press conference 

You accept defeat and move on.

All week we’ve worked on what we did wrong.

We have to try and erase last weekend’s defeat.

We are now moving forward to take on Fulham.

We need a big performance tomorrow.

Hopefully this means that Burce and his backroom staff have been working on how to hold on to the ball and actually play "football"

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Wishing for a bad result for your own team, in order to get rid of someone is one of the most abhorrent things I can think of in sports. 

I think that might be a just a wee bit harsh....

Â